Color & Livestock: The Aquarium as Art

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(NOTE: This is a repost to “fix” the original thread.)

The primary appeal of a reef tank is visual. We want to see a piece of the living ocean from the comfort of our favorite spot on the couch. For that reason it is beneficial to consider color in our aquaria.

To start we can look at a simple RYB colorwheel.

Reviewing the obvious, we have the primary colors, blue, yellow and red, with our secondary colors that are made by mixing the primaries, green, orange and purple. There are other color models out there such as RGB (used in television and video) and CMYK (used in color printers). The RYB (Red-Yellow-Blue) color model is used for things like paint which absorb light. To keep this simple I will focus on RYB as this is what most people are familiar with.

As we ponder the multitude of colors available in a reef tank, we can expand our color wheel to include more variations on color.

In this thread, though, points can be made with something in between.

This wheel shows the primary, secondary and tertiary colors.

Complementary Colors
To find a color’s complement, one simply has to look at the color across from it on the color wheel.

For example, yellow and purple are complimentary colors. Yellow is a primary color. Purple contains no yellow at all and is a mix of red and blue, the other two primary colors. Complementary colors are literally opposite colors. When you combine two complementary RYB colors, the result is gray or black. I note for comparison that video uses RGB (Red-Green-Blue) light combinations to create colors. In the RGB model, combining complimentary colors will result in white light.

When a color is placed next to its complimentary color, both colors stand out. Our eyes are drawn to the contrast. In our reefs, a clownfish is typically orange. To find a good color to complement for a clown fish we can look across the wheel and find its complement is blue.

This explains why the Finding Nemo artists chose to use a blue tang with the clownfish. It was not to infuriate the tang police, but because they are complementary colors.

Split Complementary
When many colors are in play, such as in a reef, it may be useful to go beyond simple complementary colors to help make your livestock pop.

Split complementary considers the two colors adjacent to the complimentary color. In this case, staying with orange, the split complementary colors would be teal and violet, the colors neighboring blue.

Analogous Colors
Colors that are next to each other in the color wheel are considered analogous colors.

Lime, green and teal are analogous as they are next to each other on the color wheel. If, for example, you want to add a large amount of green to your reef, you could accomplish this not just using green, but its analogous colors as well.

Warm vs. Cool
By bisecting the color wheel we can separate the colors into two groups, warm and cool.

There are many ways you can use warm and cool colors to create contrast in your aquarium. If, for example, you have several cool colored acropora together, a warm colored coral among them may create a nice focal point. It will also make those cool acropora stand out more.

These are just some simple ways that color can be used in a reef aquarium and in general. These are not rules, but guides to help one understand how our brains work to see. If you can use colors in a clever way, someone viewing your reef will be subconsciously drawn to the areas of focus you create.

My Approach
As a case study, I will discuss how I am planning my new 30 gallon build. The tank is not even wet yet, but I have planned out my fish and corals along with a timetable for their introduction to the system. For me, in the limitations of a 30 gallon aquarium, the life I want to stock is a big concern for lighting, filtration, substrate and aquascape.

The primary mobile animals in my system will be two Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) and two Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis). These animals, in my experience, have excellent personalities and provide a decent amount of activity. I also plan to have a Pink-Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia). It is a small, peaceful, even shy wrasse that is beautiful and should help to control some pests.

When you look at these animals, you will notice they are warm colored. Primarily orange, yellow, red and pink.

If we group them as a set of analogous colors on the color wheel it looks something like this:

My plan is to have warm-ish colors for all of my fish and the cleaner shrimp, the active animals in the aquarium. Maybe also something yellow like a Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhinchus cyanosoma). Conversely, all of my immobile corals will be contrasted in the opposing colors:

Here is a rough list of ideas. Nothing is for certain, but this is a starting point to help me envision my future reef

Columns
* - months after cycle (y=year)
T - Temperment (peaceful / semi-aggressive / aggressive)
L - Lighting (1 low to 5 high)
F – Water Flow (1 low to 5 high)

The time period (* column) is more of an order than an exact time. With each individual addition, parameters will be monitored until the system stabilizes.

As you can see, the corals are mostly colored in greens, blues and purples. I will also look for some turquoise acropora like a Cookie Monster, 2 Legit Tenius or maybe a Jedi Mind Trick Montipora. Coral placement will be done in a manner that varies the cool colors. Additionally, coralline encrustation should add a blanket of purple. These colors should make for excellent contrast between the corals I keep and the active movement of the warm colored fish and shrimp.

My plan is an example of using colors to create a more artistic feel to the reef I envision. It is certainly not for everyone, but hopefully it gives folks something to think about as they consider stocking their system and filling gaps along the way. Thanks for reading.

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an interesting write up! I’ve always stared at my tank thinking that I have too much of one color or another, I’ll definitely be using some of your color complementing techniques further on.

However, I must say, that your aquarium is a reflection of what you like and what you can reasonably keep. Some people love green corals and it will dominate their tanks, but what’s important is that they love it. As long as you enjoy your reef and can care of of your new additions, you shouldn’t be to persnickety about your selection just because of color :)

roro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good write up. I will be following and also applying this info for my mixed reef. Gracias!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I did follow this concept almost exactly with my reef. I wanted to keep cool colors throughout the sessile critters and warm colors for those that moved. The reef is still quite young, but perhaps it will be clear. I will update in the future as the tank grows.
1A77394B-5E6E-436C-958A-69341C06BCC7.jpeg

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I love the write up and definitely will follow and if I may suggest some additional concepts.

As you know with the water having a salinity of average 1.025 it makes the water more dense. So as light approaches have you considered that it will reflect and refract based on the density? Which means it will give you a different color chart. With this it may give you so many have you thought about using hexidecimals to label them or catorgize them better?

It’s common to use six digital hexidecimal for Red green blue as you are focusing on. So for example Red would be displayed like (two each for the red, green and blue components, in that order) prefixed with #: white, for example, is represented #FFFFFF.[2] CSS allows 3-hexdigit abbreviations with one hexdigit per component: #FA3 abbreviates #FFAA33 (a golden orange) which is basic default that we learned but the beautiful thing is you can make it whatever you want and have more options label the colors.

Another secondary note would be doing a test group with a placebo group. Meaning they (take your pick of three people family friends etc). But as most think a clown fish may be orange black, some people based on their eyes have a different color blend so it may not appear orange and black. Orange is a secondary color made from red and yellow, so some may see it as more red and or yellow. Black takes three primary colors such as Red blue and yellow, but the shade of black varies between the three different shades of the three primary colors.

If you have a test group, it’s possible they could all have the same answer, or they see different shades of color. This is where the hexidecimal would become a life saver.

But I love this idea and definitely will follow.

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! Being into photography and having a wife that is into photography and painting, color is a regular topic around our house.

I'll admit that the mix of colors wasn't as important to my most recent build as getting corals and anemones that fluoresce well under blue leds. But after the sun sets (so no light in from outside) and the room is dark, the 40g cube looks like a multi colored neon sign! It literally seems to glow in the dark! I love it.

Hhaynie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is an older thread, but I wanted to share my plan for my first setup. this thread is super useful and should be a way more common topic.

20 gallon Allcolor

fish:
- orchid dottyback
- yellow watchman goby

corals (still in the works): Easy LPS and softies, mostly green with highlights of purple and yellow. i'm thinking candy canes, mushrooms, green clove polyps, green star polyps,

Attachments

• Drawing-4.sketchpad.jpeg
    Drawing-4.sketchpad.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 25

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back