Combination of cupramine and prazi in QT?

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read humblefish's excellent post on how to quarantine and consider it my base resource for QT questions. However, I see so many reports that prazi and cupramine work together without issue (although there do seem to be scattered reports of problems). It seems like if you can combine them you save a week or two of quarantine. While I'm not impatient per se, saving that time would be great. Obviously there's lots of throw away arguments against it "don't mix meds", "the extra QT time is good anyways" etc. but it seems like this is such a common treatment regiment we should have strong evidence if it is (or isn't) safe and effective.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, you can mix Prazipro and Cupramine. However, in the interest of full disclosure here are a couple of things to watch out for:
  1. The presence of copper slightly diminishes praziquantel's overall effectiveness. However, the concentration is still usually high enough to deworm. (Prazipro is slightly overdosed praziquantel.)
  2. Mixing Prazipro with any medication can trigger a bacterial bloom (cloudy water). This is usually not a problem unless the water becomes very cloudy, and if this scenario occurs you must do an immediate large WC or transfer all the fish to a different QT. A bad bacterial bloom can starve all O2 out of the water and fish can then die due to asphyxiation.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I guess I will start the Coppersafe.
Was on day 3 of the second round of PraziPro.
I'm going to add the Coppersafe over 4 days to get it to full strength.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run coppersafe at the store and I run prazi once a week. We do occasionally see cloudy water as a result, but it goes away quickly and with all the moving water in our system we don't have much of an issue with lack of O2

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Ignore my PM, I finally found my answer. Prazi and Cupramine are ok together.

Just took me almost an hour of sifting before I found this thread.

Unbelievable how much information there is on this forum for so many different circumstances.

Fallow period finishes today. Plan is to dose Prazi when I get home today, and tomorrow the fish are gonna get moved over to the DT.

Stoaked.. Cannot wait. #R2R for life!

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Ignore my PM, I finally found my answer. Prazi and Cupramine are ok together.

Just took me almost an hour of sifting before I found this thread.

Unbelievable how much information there is on this forum for so many different circumstances.

Fallow period finishes today. Plan is to dose Prazi when I get home today, and tomorrow the fish are gonna get moved over to the DT.

Stoaked.. Cannot wait. #R2R for life!
How long did you keep your tank fallow? I'm on 4th week ..so I guess it's safe to mix Prazi and cupramine?

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fallow means fishless. I had my DT fallow. Cupramine and prazi pro were used in the Treatment tank that I moved my fish to during the fallow period.

My situation was I did first round of prazi in treatment tank, my fallow timer finished in the DT, I moved fish back into DT and did second round of Prazi there.

Ken Chong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hitch on this thread. My country only carry Prazi Gold. I guess this is same as Prazipro in terms of usage & safe to mix with cupramine?

Ken Chong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hitch on this thread. My country only carry Prazi Gold. I guess this is same as Prazipro in terms of usage & safe to mix with cupramine?

Ken Chong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ken Chong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the multiple post, I did it by error & not sure how to delete

Back