Coming back to hobby....Equip for 90 questions???

Charley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after about a 12 year break from the hobby, I'm finally coming back!!!! So I picked up a nice RR 90 gal that came with a few other pieces of equipment. It came with a Bubble Magus Curve A5 that looks brand new,a home made acrylic sump, and a Quiet One 4000 return pump. I think I will use the return pump, but not sure about the rest. My plan is for a mixed reef.....mainly LPS, Zoas, and maybe some softies.....not sure on sump size yet, but will definitely be running a fuge too.
Question: Will the Bubble Magus be enough of a skimmer?
Thanks

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after about a 12 year break from the hobby, I'm finally coming back!!!! So I picked up a nice RR 90 gal that came with a few other pieces of equipment. It came with a Bubble Magus Curve A5 that looks brand new,a home made acrylic sump, and a Quiet One 4000 return pump. I think I will use the return pump, but not sure about the rest. My plan is for a mixed reef.....mainly LPS, Zoas, and maybe some softies.....not sure on sump size yet, but will definitely be running a fuge too.
Question: Will the Bubble Magus be enough of a skimmer?
Thanks

Should be fine. It doesn't hurt to start with it and replace if necessary.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really prefer BM skimmers because of their pumps. But I would use it and see first.

If anything, I would think about a different return pump. I have 2 Quiet One 4000 Pro pumps and they're anything but quiet. I know others will say they are quiet, but I have 2 that are 5 years apart and both make the same rattle and my dc pumps you can't hear at all. 4000 has been relegated to my rodi water reservoir to keep the water churning.

Any dc pump will be silent compared to it., even a cheap Jebao, and they're flow adjustable. If you want to the 4000, may I suggest putting a silicone mat under it in the sump. If you want to stay with an AC pump and throttle it, the Fluval Sp2 (IIRC) is a good pump.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back