Coming from halides, can't decide between Kessil a360x and Radion XR15 G5

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second pic with the halide is what I'm chasing.
It really depends on the leds as most are different in their own way.
I was a halide guy forever and now run all leds just within the last 6 months.

This is my 20g nano cube running 2 16hds. It can be brighter as whites are only at 30%
20220626_174649.jpg

This my 45 frag system running 3 16hds. Its pretty close to a halide look and grows corals well. Same settings as th nano.
20220503_114006.jpg

Last edited:

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting into the hobby after a 8 year break. I used to use 250w halides, but it seems those have gone out of favor. I absolutely loved the look of the halides, crisp, great shimmer, and the corals did amazing. I'm looking for an LED that will provide similar results. I'm worried the LEDs will have a fake look to them.

I have a 90 gallon, 48"Lx18"Wx24"H that will be mixed reef. I'm going to get the aquatic life t5 hybrid, but need help choosing between the Kessil a360x and Radion XR15 G5 (either pro or blue, leaning towards pro because I don't like the windex blue look.). I will get two lights.

I'm worried that the Kessil will have too much shimmer since I've never seen them in person. The videos i see online, the shimmer seems distracting, but I don't know if this is the same in person (can't find any stores with them on display). I understand the T5 should also mute the shimmer a little.

The radions have more intensity, but with the diffuser, would it be the same as the kessil?

Do the coral colors look better under the kessil or radion?

What about the health and growth of the corals? Kessil seems to have a wider spectrum, but I hear people say it radions grow coral better and the corals have better color.

Completely racking my brain on this one given the significant investment. One day I say I'll get the kessils, the next I want the radions. Radions are about $150 cheaper than the kessils with the BRS sale right now.

Any thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
I have tried XR15 G5 Blue, switched to G6 Pro (not as blue) and supplement with T5HO using the aquatic life hybrid fixture. It's not halide/VHO but I like the combo.

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s nothing wrong with the hybrid. I personally have two xr15 pros with Reefbrite Xho on a 36 in tank. I love my lights. If I had the money, I would’ve done the aquatic life t5. I bought mine second hand and the Xho weee thrown in. Made sense to use it and I do t regret them. I would suggest a third light though. Or two xr30 and they have the new gen 6 out, although bulkreefsupply has the 5 for sale at 395. You can’t beat that. Good luck, whatever you choose.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
It really depends on the leds as most are different in their own way.
I was a halide guy forever and now run all leds just within the last 6 months.

This is my 20g nano cube running 2 16hds. It can be brighter as whites are only at 30%
20220626_174649.jpg

This my 45 frag system running 3 16hds. Its pretty close to a halide look and grows corals well. Same settings as th nano.
20220503_114006.jpg
What’s your white light set at

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back