COMING SOON THE AP9X!!!

mrrtheory

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm curious why anyone would want to purchase one of these with the failure of the ap-700. I have heard horror storys about those thing. I've never had one myself but it sounds like Kessil dropped the ball and left all of it loyal customers out in the rain. I really wouldn't want one even if someone gave it to me, I dont have the time to fool with it. Now they are dropping a new and improved version modeled after a sports car.... wait what? I don't get.

ReeferRy

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm curious why anyone would want to purchase one of these with the failure of the ap-700. I have heard horror storys about those thing. I've never had one myself but it sounds like Kessil dropped the ball and left all of it loyal customers out in the rain. I really wouldn't want one even if someone gave it to me, I dont have the time to fool with it. Now they are dropping a new and improved version modeled after a sports car.... wait what? I don't get.
I bet you're a radion fan though. The ap700 came out almost 4 years ago, technology advanced and apps/software have improved. I'll gladly give this a chance even knowing the software fail of the ap700.

Kyl

I see what you did there
View Badges
Reaction score
I bet you're a radion fan though. The ap700 came out almost 4 years ago, technology advanced and apps/software have improved. I'll gladly give this a chance even knowing the software fail of the ap700.
I was an AP700 pre-order (still have it), and can say the fixture has been great hardware, complete garbage software since day 1. Whatever clown car they outsourced the app / firmware work to, because I find it hard to believe DiCon have such inept internal staff, turned what should have been a Radion competitor into an expensive joke.

mrrtheory

View Badges
Reaction score
Negative... I've never owed radions and at this point I never will due to the fact that I can't control them from anything other than their proprietary local only Bluetooth connection going forward. Moreover, I utilize kessil tuna blue 360's on my reef for very specific reasons. I use 3 old AI 52's controlled by a no longer produced AWM module, 4 tuna blues for spot lighting, controlled by 0-10v (0-10V is not great but it gets the job done) and 4x 80W T5's (blue+ and coral+).

But the point here is with an LED, control options are paramont. If you mess that up, save yourself some money and use t5's and simple on/off Reefbrites or something. The Ap700 or this new Ferrari700 is not as modular as the pucks and not as conducive for integration into a hybrid system. For a lot of folks its going to be a stand alone lighting option and for that it better be darn good and it wasn't. In fact, by most accounts it was subpar.

Subpar is sometimes forgivable. There could be many reasons someone chose a product. What works for you might not work for me. But for a company to have a very bad showing and not support its current customer base or make it right while moving to basicly version 2 of that failed product without any recompense toward those customers is unforgivable to me.

I'm not here to demonize Kessil either. And I do understand that the Ferrari700 has Klogic and 0-10v but again still not as modular as there X's and I have very little enthusiasm for Klogic from what I have seen of it. If some speculation that it would have advanced Apex integration is true that may change my opinion as the Apex unified lighting control is very good. I control the 52's with it and control is excellent.

And again I do have 4 of their products. I would buy their 360x's if they were not currently extremely over priced. Par for par they are the most expensive lights out there. But I would consider them when they become more reasonable or in a used market. And I believe at $300 most other LEDs would become novelty. There lighting tech is solid but the control schemes have been lack luster. As consumers it is our job to hold these manufacturers accountable for both their successes and their failures. Buying into version 2 of something they dropped the ball on because it comes with a bell and a whisle and looks like a Ferrari just doesn't do anyone any favors. If it does I have some oceanfront property in Arizona if anyone is buying.

saf1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Negative... I've never owed radions and at this point I never will due to the fact that I can't control them from anything other than their proprietary local only Bluetooth connection going forward. Moreover, I utilize kessil tuna blue 360's on my reef for very specific reasons. I use 3 old AI 52's controlled by a no longer produced AWM module, 4 tuna blues for spot lighting, controlled by 0-10v (0-10V is not great but it gets the job done) and 4x 80W T5's (blue+ and coral+).

But the point here is with an LED, control options are paramont. If you mess that up, save yourself some money and use t5's and simple on/off Reefbrites or something. The Ap700 or this new Ferrari700 is not as modular as the pucks and not as conducive for integration into a hybrid system. For a lot of folks its going to be a stand alone lighting option and for that it better be darn good and it wasn't. In fact, by most accounts it was subpar.

Subpar is sometimes forgivable. There could be many reasons someone chose a product. What works for you might not work for me. But for a company to have a very bad showing and not support its current customer base or make it right while moving to basicly version 2 of that failed product without any recompense toward those customers is unforgivable to me.

I'm not here to demonize Kessil either. And I do understand that the Ferrari700 has Klogic and 0-10v but again still not as modular as there X's and I have very little enthusiasm for Klogic from what I have seen of it. If some speculation that it would have advanced Apex integration is true that may change my opinion as the Apex unified lighting control is very good. I control the 52's with it and control is excellent.

And again I do have 4 of their products. I would buy their 360x's if they were not currently extremely over priced. Par for par they are the most expensive lights out there. But I would consider them when they become more reasonable or in a used market. And I believe at $300 most other LEDs would become novelty. There lighting tech is solid but the control schemes have been lack luster. As consumers it is our job to hold these manufacturers accountable for both their successes and their failures. Buying into version 2 of something they dropped the ball on because it comes with a bell and a whisle and looks like a Ferrari just doesn't do anyone any favors. If it does I have some oceanfront property in Arizona if anyone is buying.
On / off can also be done with the Kessil's. You don't need to dial in or control spectrum which is why they introduced Kessil Login. Adjustments, assuming you have their controller, opens up violet, red, green so the hobbyist can adjust to their visuals.

Also while a360x's are expensive they are no more expensive when compared to similar wattage units outside oversea knock offs. Kessil's still provide more options in mounting height, form factor, and par increase by adding a lens. Something flat panels can't do.

By no means is this one or the other because I stay out of that noise. Just pointing out if you want on/off with a guarantee spectrum to grow corals Kessil also fits that. Look at any properly done spectrum graph.

mrrtheory

View Badges
Reaction score
On / off can also be done with the Kessil's. You don't need to dial in or control spectrum which is why they introduced Kessil Login. Adjustments, assuming you have their controller, opens up violet, red, green so the hobbyist can adjust to their visuals.

Also while a360x's are expensive they are no more expensive when compared to similar wattage units outside oversea knock offs. Kessil's still provide more options in mounting height, form factor, and par increase by adding a lens. Something flat panels can't do.

By no means is this one or the other because I stay out of that noise. Just pointing out if you want on/off with a guarantee spectrum to grow corals Kessil also fits that. Look at any properly done spectrum graph.
You make good points. It's absolutely fair that you could use Kessil lights in that on/off configuration but I feel like you would be paying a huge premium. I also can't argue against someone that chose that path but I can think of better options for my money.

As far as the cost goes I would need 2-3 tuna blues to offset each hydra 52 that I have. I know because I have done the test in my tank with an Apogee. I haven't tested the X's but maybe with the new 360X's just 2 would replace 1 hydra 52 module. But consider my lights are old you need multiple units to compete with an XR30, AI64, Orphek, Mitras or even Reefbreeders. Even just 3 is nearly twice as much a many of the listed lights. And I guess that does beg the question are they that much more powerful than a Tuna Blue? I'd be interested to find out?

Last edited:

saf1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You make good points. It's absolutely fair that you could use Kessil lights in that on/off configuration but I feel like you would be paying a huge premium. I also can't argue against someone that chose that path but I can think of better options for my money.

As far as the cost goes I would need 2-3 tuna blues to offset each hydra 52 that I have. I know because I have done the test in my tank with an Apogee. I haven't tested the X's but maybe with the new 360X's just 2 would replace 1 hydra 52 module. But consider my lights are old you need multiple units to compete with an XR30, AI64, Orphek, Mitras or even Reefbreeders. Even just 3 is nearly twice as much a many of the listed lights. And I guess that does beg the question are they that much more powerful than a Tuna Blue? I'd be interested to find out?
I'm not sure honestly nor would I argue :D I'm not pitching one over the other. The hydra 52, or 64 are higher priced units both with higher wattage due to 4 multi-channel chips whereas the Kessil is 1 multi channel array at 90 watts. We would have to look at tests done by Danna or BRS to see how they compare, spread, etc.

Again by no means am I saying this over that. As I read the reply I was like oh, wait. You can on, off the kessil and use their logic / knobs and be done just as easy. If that is what you want.

There is no doubt that this hobby has at least two expensive points that we hobbyists have to wade through. One being lights the other skimmers (should you choose to use one). Everything else is sort of known but lighting and skimmers seem to be the more expensive ticket items.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score

FWIW:
In this category of LEDs BRS has proven that the Red Sea Reefled has more par than any 90 watt led, but they sure can not give you the "Pop" that the A360x does.

The new violet channel is a great addition.

The best is only one's opinion and at times what the application specs require.

My lights are 4.5" above the waterline, so I need the spectrums mixed asap and what other 90 watt led comes in at 4.3" wide?

image000002 (3).jpg
image000004 (1).jpg
image000004 (2).jpg
image000006 (1).jpg
image000003 (2).jpg

Application (spec size) can justify pricing too.

Last edited:

mrrtheory

View Badges
Reaction score
FWIW:
In this category of LEDs BRS has proven that the Red Sea Reefled has more par than any 90 watt led, but they sure can not give you the "Pop" that the A360x does.

The new violet channel is a great addition.

The best is only one's opinion and at times what the application specs require.

My lights are 4.5" above the waterline, so I need the spectrums mixed asap and what other 90 watt led comes in at 4.3" wide?

image000002 (3).jpg
image000004 (1).jpg
image000004 (2).jpg
image000006 (1).jpg
image000003 (2).jpg

Application (spec size) can justify pricing too.
That setup is pretty slick

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
I have been using an AP700 for about a year now without a hitch (knock wood). The app is limited but does most of what I want it to do and is more than sufficient for the job. I still believe it was the best option at the time and do not regret the purchase.

Technology moves on. Whether I would consider an AP9X in the future depends on how long the AP700 lasts and what else is available at the time. I would love to have an Apex compatible light.

Scorpius

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
What's different in the chips between a 360x and this AP9X? What is the angle of the optics on the AP9X?

minus9

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I found it interesting that they skipped the sps settings altogether. I did like what I saw during my zoom meeting with them. I'm super happy with my 360x's, but once I set up my 25 lagoon, I might move two over the 25 and buy the AP9X for the middle? We'll see?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
I found it interesting that they skipped the sps settings altogether. I did like what I saw during my zoom meeting with them. I'm super happy with my 360x's, but once I set up my 25 lagoon, I might move two over the 25 and buy the AP9X for the middle? We'll see?
Yeah,
BRS did show the full-blown sps height and settings on the a360x, kinda stumped me as well.

Is your current reef tank the BEST reef aquarium you've ever had?

• Yes

Votes: 261 70.7%
  • No

Votes: 78 21.1%
  • It's a tie

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 5.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors