Comments please on pics of my disappointing tank…

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tanks take a while. Make sure nitrates and phosphates are reasonable. Good mixed cleanup crew (reefcleaners is a great option). Also add mixed copepods from Dinkins Aquatics, Algae Barn, etc as part of the cleanup crew, especially since you started with dry rock.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone has asked this yet but... what are you running for water circulation? I'd make sure you have at least 2000gph worth of flow going through that tank. It'll speed up the process considerably and I think a lot of new reefers miss that. For reference, I started a 20g system less than two months ago with nothing but dry rock and I already have purple coralline algae spots on the front panel. This is with absolutely no dosing (I haven't done a water change since it finished cycling) and I'm running a Jebao wp-25 for flow, which is massive overkill. I'm guessing I'm getting 100 x tank turnover in flow. I don't think I've ever had a tank that's taken more than a few months to get past the "green rock" stage TBH. I've also never had a new tank that didn't have a lot of flow either, which might be the key here.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blow off rocks and vacuum sand during water changes until things clear up. More cuc can help.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a reef cleaners package probably for a 30 gallon since there is a lot of livestock in them and add a conch. Overtime it will mature your tank is fine.

You need a bigger CUC. A couple snails will not do the trick. Honestly, I would recommend atleast 50-75 Astrea snails and around 30 blue leg hermits.
I agree on expanding your CUC.
I've only been reefing about 8 years and I have never had a sufficient clean up crew. I've set up several systems durring that time and I used to think people were crazy when they said add 75 or 100 snails and a bunch of hermits.
I set up a new tank 3 months ago and as soon as algae started to show I added a cleaner package . I actually bought a second for rimless tank as I got tired of picking trochus snails off the floor. I have snails all over the tank but very little algae. I do get a little cyano but am blowing the rocks off daily. Had very small amount of diatoms early and very small amount of dynos that were gone very quickly with no interaction from me except the CUC.
I realize I have a long way to go yet. This is my first time starting a tank with all dry rock and I know there are challenges ahead but this is the tank at day 87. I strongly believe the tank would not look this clean had I not added the large CUC early on. I think blowing rocks off daily and changing socks often is helping also. I do minimal water changes, 2 gallons every couple of days.
20230517_123417.jpg

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine mate. Popcorn kernels go into the same pot, in the same oil, at the same time. But they pop at different times and become the same thing. Can assure you that green will turn brown and coraline will set it. Just gotta wait
Hopefully…fingers crossed…

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup is pretty similar and is about 5 months old. I think if you added a Kole tang it would do wonders for the algae issues and maybe consider manual water changes 10% bi-monthly for the time being. When I set up AWC I realized my tank was struggling despite 2% daily water change, but everything looked fantastic after a manual one. Coralline exploded after that.

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a reef cleaners package probably for a 30 gallon since there is a lot of livestock in them and add a conch. Overtime it will mature your tank is fine.
I will investigate a package. Not sure if I have seen them over here.

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Some very helpful and encouraging replies. Will get onto it. Must keep at it!!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need way more clean up crew IMO. Head over to reefcleaners.org and let John put a package together for you.
I'd also bring my nitrates down to balance out with the phosphate better.

But other than that, you're probably not far off base for starting with all dry rock.
You could also look at getting a small box of rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater if you want to add some biodiversity to the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi All

I am disappointed with my new set up. 7 months old. Red Sea reefer 250. Roller mat, Red Sea skimmer 350 and TMC ilumenaire+ led lighting. Nitrates 9.0. Phosphate 0.09. Salinity 1.025. Temperature 80. Calcium 500 and Mag 1500. Daily 2% water changes (TM Coral Pro salt). Have raised Alk to 8.1 over 7 months.
I do not mind so much the greenness of my (all dry) rocks. Zoas are growing slowly. Little growth on a few SPS frags. Lost a few SPS frags. After 7 months am I on the right lines or struggling? Any comments much appreciated. Thanks all.

IMG_0139.jpeg IMG_0138.jpeg
I do not see presence of cleaner crew but add some snails and a pencil urchin.
Snails:
Astrea
Cerith
nassarius
Nerite
1-2 turbo grazers
6-9 Carribean blue leg hermits (these are tiny)

Reduce white light intensity
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
What is your Phosphate level?
Tank at or near a window?

Last edited:
OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see presence of cleaner crew but add some snails and a pencil urchin.
Snails:
Astrea
Cerith
nassarius
Nerite
1-2 turbo grazers
6-9 Carribean blue leg hermits (these are tiny)

Reduce white light intensity
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
What is your Phosphate level?
Am right now investigating a CUC package. Nitrates are 9.0. Phosphate 0.09. RO water changed 2% a day. Unsure about the white light. Is it more important at the moment to reduce light/green algae or to blast a few (unsuccessful) SPS frags with even more light?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Am right now investigating a CUC package. Nitrates are 9.0. Phosphate 0.09. RO water changed 2% a day. Unsure about the white light. Is it more important at the moment to reduce light/green algae or to blast a few (unsuccessful) SPS frags with even more light?
Hmm- numbers are good.
How many hours of light are you providing the tank daily?

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm- numbers are good.
How many hours of light are you providing the tank daily?
Lights are on from 07.30 till 13.00 at low settings, then 13.00 till 21.30 at 75% white and 85% blue, then the last hour till 22.30 is 80% for blue and 25% for white. (Along with medium intensity violet for middle of the day).

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good to me as well
If your coral are growing and there is not nuisance algae growing I would keep riding the the time wave and just focus on keeping things stable

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine my dude.
I totally get the dissapointing part - I am very fidsapointed with my build as well. However, we’re in this for the long haul, right? Our journey with dry rock has added sometime to our ageing of the tank but we will get there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back