Common and Vender/Hobbyist Coral Names

gerajn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay peeps... Here we go... I know this is a long shot but I'm hopping for the best. My goal is to create a log of Commen vs. Vendor/Hobbyist Coral names for us novice reefers to refrance. I know I speak for many when I say THIS NAME GAME IS OUT OF CONTROL... But... I'm not here to speak to either side of that heated debate. I'm only trying to provide the Hobbyist with a few more rounds of ammo/education. That being said... There is NO SOURCE of tying corals characteristics to the names vendors are selling them as. I'm looking for anyone to provide me reliable (no necessarily concrete) information on WHAT makes "this" coral a "Walt Disney"... And so on and so on. I know the list is daunting but we have to start somewhere so we have a chance in this battle. Feel free to respond, message me on R2R or hell... Even text me at 260.888.5282 and thanks so much in advance for considering. I've asked multiple vendors for assistance and it's like I'm asking for a secret family recipe. Nobody wants to help me out. Be the change ❣️ Happy Reefing!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay peeps... Here we go... I know this is a long shot but I'm hopping for the best. My goal is to create a log of Commen vs. Vendor/Hobbyist Coral names for us novice reefers to refrance. I know I speak for many when I say THIS NAME GAME IS OUT OF CONTROL... But... I'm not here to speak to either side of that heated debate. I'm only trying to provide the Hobbyist with a few more rounds of ammo/education. That being said... There is NO SOURCE of tying corals characteristics to the names vendors are selling them as. I'm looking for anyone to provide me reliable (no necessarily concrete) information on WHAT makes "this" coral a "Walt Disney"... And so on and so on. I know the list is daunting but we have to start somewhere so we have a chance in this battle. Feel free to respond, message me on R2R or hell... Even text me at 260.888.5282 and thanks so much in advance for considering. I've asked multiple vendors for assistance and it's like I'm asking for a secret family recipe. Nobody wants to help me out. Be the change ❣️ Happy Reefing!
I'm as clueless as you. It is great research for an article though. Have you tried to touch base with reef builders?

OP
OP
G

gerajn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm as clueless as you. It is great research for an article though. Have you tried to touch base with reef builders?
I have not but definitely will right now! Do you know the best way to contact them? Thanks for your kind words ☺️

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive asked multiple vendors for assistance and it's like I'm asking for a secret family recipe. Nobody wants to help me out. Be the change ❣️ Happy Reefing!
I doubt it is as much about protecting the family recipe as it is simple ignorance. Like you stated this name game is out of control and even employees of our fish stores can't know everything and keep track of every new super special "dragon spawn clear face chrome eyed favia" that hits the market.

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped buying/caring about vendors making up names and selling for premium $$$. They can sell to someone else. It has gotten far out of control. I'll keep to my lfs or local reefers and people on here selling things for reasonable amounts.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it is as much about protecting the family recipe as it is simple ignorance. Like you stated this name game is out of control and even employees of our fish stores can't know everything and keep track of every new super special "dragon spawn clear face chrome eyed favia" that hits the market.
Dragon Spawn Clear Face Chrome Eyed .... I think the official name of that is college student.

OP
OP
G

gerajn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you are correct. I was kinda just trying to be funny. Hopefully something positive can come from this experience. Thanks for responding

OP
OP
G

gerajn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A database would be good, but think would present the most challenges of all the corals. Sps can vary greatly within tanks and with time. Something like zoopedia would be great.
I completely understand and agree. That's why I'm not trying to set anything in concrete. Not looking for a battle but rather a general consensus. Thanks so much for your response

ATAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand and agree. That's why I'm not trying to set anything in concrete. Not looking for a battle but rather a general consensus. Thanks so much for your response
No negativity at all. Just presenting a possible hurdle to consider. I am completely on board. We have many. Orals from places like wwc, battle corals,... with little reference to appearance and cost.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The name is tied to the lineage. If your frag can be traced back to the original named colony, it is a frag of that colony with the same name. Otherwise, maybe... maybe not.

I understand the reasoning of this, but dont truly think it makes sense the majority of the time.

Are my eagle eye zoas not eagle eyes because i cant trace it back 20 years to the original(mine almost certainly were wild or aquacultured from a different lineage). Are my rastas not rastas because they dont trace back?

In my experience the lineage is only especially relevant when there is actually some rarity to the coral in question or a high premium based on vendor.

Having said that if i am selling my unknown source rastas i need to sell them as rastas not "wwc rastas" or "cb rastas", etc.

OP
OP
G

gerajn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the reasoning of this, but dont truly think it makes sense the majority of the time.

Are my eagle eye zoas not eagle eyes because i cant trace it back 20 years to the original(mine almost certainly were wild or aquacultured from a different lineage). Are my rastas not rastas because they dont trace back?

In my experience the lineage is only especially relevant when there is actually some rarity to the coral in question or a high premium based on vendor.

Having said that if i am selling my unknown source rastas i need to sell them as rastas not "wwc rastas" or "cb rastas", etc.
Not that my opinion is worth two cents... But I think you hit the nail on the head. Love your response

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's my point. Either you know where the coral came from or not.

Before the name craze started, we used to say "I got a frag of mike's stag". That turned into people calling it "Mike's stag" because you had a piece from that lineage traced back to Mike. Then it became "Mike's Purple Stag" and then it went from there.

If you don't know the lineage, it is a coral with a name that may or may not be the real thing. Whether it matters or not if it is the real thing is up to you.

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you don't know the lineage, it is a coral with a name that may or may not be the real thing. Whether it matters or not if it is the real thing is up to you.
Agreed. It can DEFINITELY matter to buyers who are looking for a coral. Going with a named coral (should) bring with it the lineage of that coral, which includes insight into its captive track record, expected growth patterns, expected lighting preferences, expected coloration, etc. That's where the naming can add value. Buying a "knockoff" fresh lookalike that is weeks out of the ocean versus the known lineage coral can make a big difference in the success of keeping that coral.

That's where the naming sucks. When you see two corals on a sale page and one says Bonsai and one says Garf Bonsai, or one says orange passion and the other says SCOP, do you trust they are both frags of the same mother colony? Is one a good looking fresh import?

With research and questions none of this may matter in the end, but that's my take on it. It's like buying a light switch and one is Lutron and the other is a knockoff called Lutren. Will they both work? Maybe... but I have to think a lot harder about the second one before buying.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also have to consider some pieces may be misnamed and or have multiple common names. What one vender may call one coral another may call the same coral something else. Then you also have the wild colonies that are often given common names that just look similar to that popular coral and then are sold as such and are now a lineage of incorrect named corals that look similar to the real thing. Which in most cases doesnt matter but may not support all the colors the original may be capable of. And finally even the same coral can have different growth patterns and colora depending on lighting, flow and nutrients. So doing something like this has its own difficulties but is not impossible and i agree the hobby needs something like this.

I would say the best place to start would be with big vendors. Wwc, tsa, jason fox, etc. Cataloging corals that already have pictures and names from direct lineage would be best. Then you can further ask for people that have purchased these corals for picture of them in different environments. It would be a painstaking process to do for each individual coral but it would be the only way to build a proper database.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree this is needed, but I' say the same thing to someone that wanted to do the same thing with zoas....

Have fun for the next few years.

It's certainly a daunting task, one I don't think you realize how far down the rabbit hole the name game goes.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously stated, trade names are about lineage. Because I am a vendor, I take lineage very seriously. I do not purchase frags for grow out unless it is either directly from the original "namer" or from a trusted source that can prove lineage to the original named colony. There is only one strain of BigR Walt Disney. If you did not get it from Mike Biggar (rest in peace), or someone who did then you don't have a BigR Walt Disney. If you do get it from a reliable source with lineage, then you know what to expect as it grows out. Lineaged pieces should and do command higher prices for this very reason. They have been in captivity for some time, are second generation or later frags, and their coloration and growth pattern is known. A wild or maricultured piece that comes in looking like a named piece cannot be assumed to be the same as coloration and growth patterns (as well as captive survivability) aren't know until it has been in captivity for some time. If a vendor lists a piece as simply Orange Passion, then it is more than likely not a lineaged piece, but the best bet is to ask the vendor about the lineage. An honest vendor will tell you if it has lineage, or if it is one they imported and named that way because it looked like an Orange Passion.

Back