Community’s thoughts on the Name Game?

Do you think the ‘name game’ is useful for identification purposes?

• Total voters

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to see what the consensus is about the ‘name game’. Do you find non-scientific names helpful or do you find them to be scourge on the hobby? What do you think?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the downside of names for me is a chop shop that slaps names on mariculture pieces just to make a quick buck. I think this is where the name game gets way out of hand and ridiculous.

vendors who bring pieces in and adjust corals to tank life over an extended period of time and frag from a mother colony they keep are the ones who should be naming pieces for easy identification and lineage purposes.

If a piece has an absolute awesome name, it may grab my attention but if I don’t like the piece I’m mot going to buy it, period. The health, coloration, rarity and vendor’s reputation all factor into price. I don’t think people take the time to understand the quantity of “meh” pieces some has to buy to get the few really high end “Wow” pieces. Then from there the % of those pieces with potential that actually make it to the point of propagation/be named.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is a line somewhere. When multiple vendors are all calling the same coral something different, it has been crossed. When multiple vendors are all using the same common name, it's all good.

Pertaining to fish, when people ask for livestock comments and list a bunch of scientific names, I'm lost and typically need to figure out the common names.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back