COMMUNITY CHALLENGE: A Phytoplankton culture you actually want on display.

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came up with a personal challenge but thought it would be fun to put to the whole community. Can you design a functional phytoplankton culture that is also a cool display piece?

Since I don't need huge volumes for my nano, I'm using this as my vessel (with a rubber stopper). Lighting and the airline might be a bit tricky but I have some ideas I'll be trying out.

IMG_0795.jpg

Dude60415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Never thought to much into it. I run 3- 2gal jars on a oak shelf. Lights are on the wall behind the jars. I guess it could dress it up a bit.

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Never thought to much into it. I run 3- 2gal jars on a oak shelf. Lights are on the wall behind the jars. I guess it could dress it up a bit.
I mean that is going to be efficient but maybe not aesthetically something most people would put out in their living room. I was sort of trying to think what would be the equivalent of a display refugium for phytoplankton. This picture got me thinking about it. guess it doesn't have great reviews.

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 11.05.19 AM.png

Here is what I was thinking of for lighting. We'll see if it will do the trick.
20190806001_3_1050x1050.jpg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your intention to have it on display to help clean the room air?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean that is going to be efficient but maybe not aesthetically something most people would put out in their living room. I was sort of trying to think what would be the equivalent of a display refugium for phytoplankton. This picture got me thinking about it. guess it doesn't have great reviews.

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 11.05.19 AM.png

Here is what I was thinking of for lighting. We'll see if it will do the trick.
20190806001_3_1050x1050.jpg
I have one of those Hiro lighted stands. Produced lumens were low enough that I couldn't sustain even mushrooms in a jar build, and I couldn't see an easy way to replace the light fixture with something with a higher wattage. I'm not doing anything with it right now, so perhaps I'll stick it near a window with direct light to give it supplemental lighting.

OP
OP
atlantean

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those Hiro lighted stands. Produced lumens were low enough that I couldn't sustain even mushrooms in a jar build, and I couldn't see an easy way to replace the light fixture with something with a higher wattage. I'm not doing anything with it right now, so perhaps I'll stick it near a window with direct light to give it supplemental lighting.
Do you know what wattage? I got the 10W version from NCYP which is rated at 1000 lumens.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think phytoplankton is a cool organism that would be intriguing to non-reefer houseguests and it would just be neat to showcase it like a houseplant.
If money isn’t an object I think this would give a clean and interesting look in a room. As it looks like an all in one (light and air pump), maybe ditch the spirulina and use phytoplankton instead.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back