Community Question: What is the funniest thing you’ve ever seen happen in your tank?

blaxsun

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
We have a Hawaiian strawberry crab (image below is not ours, as he's mainly nocturnal), and every time he gets close to molting he scurries around the tank, finds any lose rocks, coral frags, etc. and drags them into a barnacle to plug the entrance.

He molts, waits a few days with his new shell and then makes a discreet exit when we're not looking. Then we have to gather all the coral frags he's temporarily relocated and put them back where they were.

BBBB210F-2977-474E-82E7-503F8861442B.jpeg

DatsoonDave

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I had an octopus in high school, in a plexiglass aquarium. I did not plug the heater holes on the top. My bedroom door had a decent gap at the bottom.....I get woken up by Mom hollering at me that my octopus is walking down the hall. I looked at her like she had lobsters coming out her ears. Indeed it was cruising down the hallway on the carpet. I picked him up and threw him back into the tank, he Inked, swam off and I closed up the holes :)

tigre44

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I had an octopus in high school, in a plexiglass aquarium. I did not plug the heater holes on the top. My bedroom door had a decent gap at the bottom.....I get woken up by Mom hollering at me that my octopus is walking down the hall. I looked at her like she had lobsters coming out her ears. Indeed it was cruising down the hallway on the carpet. I picked him up and threw him back into the tank, he Inked, swam off and I closed up the holes :)
I think you take the prize

Sunny in Miami

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I think the funniest thing in my reef tank is when I feed the fish and the cleaner shrimp tries to steal the frozen food I give the Mandarin Dragonnet by grabbing the Mandarin with his legs and dragging her down so she cant eat. Poor Mandi looks at me like saying help.

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 115 24.6%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 244 52.1%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 34 7.3%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 30 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.1%
Reef Kinetics