Comparison: Fauna Marine ICP Analysis vs. ATI-OES ICP Analysis

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Documentation purposes only; this is not meant to determine which test performs better than the other. This is an overview of the test kit, its contents, ease of use, and final reports. I wanted to do each test simultaneously and share for others who may have never used these before.

The Fauna Marine ICP Lab test was purchased directly from their website. I chose ICP Set M version which contains two separate tests for 39.99, or ~$20.00 per test, and it ships to your home for free. It arrived in 5 days.

I purchased the single ATI test kit from Amazon for $44.95 and it arrived in 2 days with free shipping because of our Prime membership.

20200414_211527.jpg

The Fauna Marine ICP analysis M kit comes with two complete tests, each consisting of two sample vials, two bar code labels, a return envelope, data registration card, and instructions.

20200414_211631.jpg

One item that was momentarily confusing was the barcode labels for the sample vials. Instead of printing each set with the same test number, the test numbers were split between the two label cards. This product contains two separate tests; if you weren't paying attention you may have labeled each sample vial with two different numbers.

20200414_213800.jpg

Rinse and fill the two vials, attach the barcode labels, pop them in the envelope with your filled-out data registration form, put a stamp on it and done. The test is sent to Ft. Meyers, FL, initially and then they send it to Germany for testing. I did expect it to have return postage, which it did not. The instruction suggests adding tracking to the package, which I absolutely want to have, so now this does add a trip to the post office and the cost of postage to use this kit. Results are returned via an email link; there is not a website to register the test prior to sending.

20200414_215537.jpg

The ATI test comes with three sample test tubes for seawater and a fourth to test your RO/DI water. The separate RO/DI test is a nice feature that the other kit does not offer. It has a prepaid USPS shipping label with a tracking number, a return envelope, and clear instructions.

20200414_211909.jpg

ATI does utilize a website to register your test prior to shipping. The website is used for you to track the status and ultimately receive the results. I have completed one ATI test in the past, so that information still shows in my account and is accessible. You can see the RO/DI test results posted separately from the seawater test.

ATI Desktop.png

Each sample vial is pre-printed with the same unique code, which is then entered into the website to register the test.

20200414_212450.jpg

ATI Barcode.png

Rinse and fill the three seawater vials with your tank water, do the same with RO/DI water for the RO/DI sample vial, dry them off and stick them in the envelope. Affix the pre-paid postage to the envelope and it's ready to go to California where it will then be sent to Germany for testing. Don't forget to record your tracking number so you can see when it arrives.

20200414_213206.jpg

20200414_213426.jpg

I'll drop them off in the mail tomorrow (April 15) and update the thread on how long it takes to receive results back and then we'll look at them side by side.

Last edited:

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This actually has me leaning towards ATI, since you can test RODI. Can you also use one of the three to test freshly mixed SW, or do all three have to be from your tank?

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This actually has me leaning towards ATI, since you can test RODI. Can you also use one of the three to test freshly mixed SW, or do all three have to be from your tank?

All three are used for one tank. The vials all have the same serial number on them, so there would be no way to distinguish them from one another or show a separate report.

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following a long as I do regular ati tests and this could save some money. Although I would probably still do an ati test occasionally for the rodi water since I am on a well and who knows what could get in there.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following- we’ll see who wins my business :)

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a thread on it?
Not yet, but I was planning to start one once I got the results back. I'll ship both tests out Friday so it will likely be late next week at the earliest before I get both back.

I did recently submit a FM ICP test and just got the results back. Had some questions/concerns which is what drove me to purchase a Triton and do a side by side comparison.

George-Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following a long as I do regular ati tests and this could save some money. Although I would probably still do an ati test occasionally for the rodi water since I am on a well and who knows what could get in there.

For your information. The analysis of RO is also possible with the Reef ICP but you should make a note on the paper that you add to the samples. Just add RO WATER.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your information. The analysis of RO is also possible with the Reef ICP but you should make a note on the paper that you add to the samples. Just add RO WATER.

Hey George, thanks for that info and for chiming in. Just to clarify, a single Fauna-Marin test comes with only two sample vials. I'm assuming you still need two vials of seawater to perform the tank analysis and you are suggesting to use a separate second test to analyze the RO water and label as such. Or are you saying you can send in one vial of each on a single test?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this! Looking forward to seeing how the results compare.

Reading the Fauna Marin instructions......how do you "frank an envelope"?!!!

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this! Looking forward to seeing how the results compare.

Reading the Fauna Marin instructions......how do you "frank an envelope"?!!!

I can't believe I actually found a related picture! :p

Frank.jpg

frank·ing
/ˈfraNGkiNG/

noun
noun: franking
  1. the action of franking a letter or parcel.
    "a franking machine"
    • an official mark or signature on a letter or parcel to indicate that postage has been paid or does not need to be paid.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this mean both vials have to be RO water, or can I do one tank water, one RO?

Thanks!

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the ATI test twice, a common issue with the RODI test is false levels of PO4 and NO3. Lots and lots of folks on here have had the same issue. I am not talking high values, just values. Because I expected zero.

Back