Compatibility

goaliedude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here goes, this is my plan for my 60g cube.

Inverts:
Halloween urchin (not in tank yet)
Amazing rainbow BTA

Fish:
Pair of large skunk clowns
Niger trigger (small)
Dotted hawkfish
Yellow porcupine puffer (not in tank yet)
Small butterflyfish (not in tank yet)
Skeletor eel (not in tank yet)

I would like to hear your opinions on this combination of fish. I realize some fish may grow large and plan on adjusting accordingly. Please keep comments constructive.

So far with the fish that are in my tank there have been no major issues other than the occasional chasing etc.

The trigger is scared and not aggressive and the hawkfish is fine. Clownfish are large enough to hold their own and are the same size as the trigger.
I have coral in the tank, no sps and everything is doing amazingly well.

Let me know what you think

Thanks!

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would not suggest the eel or puffer with a top predator already in the tank there will be problems. the eel will most likely eat your skunk clowns and anything else it can catch puffers are fin nippers and the niger may be shy know but they are extremly aggresive fish and have razor sharp teeth

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trigger, puffer and eel will get way too big for a 60 gallon tank.
You didn't state what type of butterfly, but most (( if not all )) of them will also get too big for your tank. Plus, some are not going to work well with the anemone.

How do you plan on "adjusting accordingly" ? I have always tried to stock for the tank that I currently have, and not one that I hope to have someday. Personally, not a fan of "renting" fish until they outgrow the tank.

OP
OP
G

goaliedude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The butterfly is a sunset butterfly. By adjusting I mean swapping out the fish if problems arise or they grow too large.

The big question I'm wondering is will the eel really eat the clownfish? I've had a pair of onyx clowns with a snowflake eel and the clowns were smaller than the fat pair I have now.

I know that every fish situation is relative and that there are scenarios where there is a grey area.
Do all puffers nip fins?
The eel will be added last to the tank so I believe that will help in a small way to relieve some pressure
Thanks for the responses. All will be taken into consideration

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a snowflake eel in my 180g and my damsels come up missing on occasion and have had my blue toby puffer nip the fins on my yellow tang. puffers are notorious fin nippers. as far as adding the eel last it doesnt matter in a 60g tank they are predators and will behave as one.

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely the puffer will end up eating that urchin, Sea urchins are a FAVORITE food of porcupine puffers so I hope you rethink that combo...Also the eel and butterfly are NOT good choices for that tank, aside from them getting to large for that tank they will also eat you fish and corals any chance they get

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience... very little are a good mix. Is this a fish only? The eel will attempt to eat any fish it can get a hold of. Putters will nip fins ans yes. Eat the urchin. Too may top end predators.

sent from my Galaxy with Tapatalk 2

FishyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think butterflies are pretty peaceful fish and will probably get pretty stressed with the aggressive fish you have listed. I also agree with everyone else on the trigger, puffer, and eel not being a good combo and getting too big for a 60 cube. Also several of the fish you've listed are not reef safe and will go after inverts and coral.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back