OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Competition in a new tank is hard to come by. Yes, corals like Leathers and Toadstools can help, but it's really the macro and microorganisms that develop as the tank matures that do most of the competing for nutrients. BUT... if you are going to have soft corals in the tank anyway, they won't hurt. I'd stay away from Xenia, Clove or Star Polyps, and etc. though. They just spread too much.

Possibly your best bet for now is to add grazers like a Bristle Tooth Tang, a Foxface, or maybe a Lawnmower Blenny. Trochus snails work well also. Small Tuxecdo Urchins do a great job, buy can also scrape off a lot of Coralline when there isn't a lot of algae present.

If things get out of hand, there are new products on the market that use bacteria to control algae. I've used one of them and had good luck. I would recommend you use these products sparingly in a new tank though. There are potential negative effects if not used properly.
I have a yellow and a kole tang and maintain a decent clean up crew it just seems to always find a way to comeback. I feel like I need more competition is it a viable option.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow and a kole tang and maintain a decent clean up crew it just seems to always find a way to comeback. I feel like I need more competition is it a viable option.

I have a Soft and LPS corals in the back corners of my SPS reef tank to help in areas where organic waste would otherwise build up. I even have a Chalice that's thriving back there. I have to emphasize the word "help". It won't work any miracles.

I have a Yellow Tang and Kole Tang in my tank also. Neither seems to like hair algae. Unfortunately, not many CUC members find long hair algae appetizing. Sea Hares do though. They'll out compete most hair algae growth. You would want the ugly black/brown version... a Dalhalla. These are not without risk though. Read up on them before buying/renting one. I used one to help me escape a stubborn bout of hair algae then returned him to the LFS.

I do think bacteria can be employed to compete with or otherwise destroy algae. New products are available that provide strains of bacteria that destroy organic waste and even the algae itself. Vibrant, Dr. Tim's Waste Away, SeaChem Pristine, and Zeobac are the products that come to mind. I use a maintenance dose of Vibrant, 5 to 10ml every other week, in my 90 gallon. Again, this is not without risk.

Remember, most healthy systems have some algae in them. Don't do too much in a effort to eliminate it.

Back