The rest is NPR :p
Sorry, you’re on the wrong thread with your sissy songs :p

Z-man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought I was pretty intelligent on metal music, but thanks to these lists, I'm learning some new music to look up and listen to. I'm more hair metal but here is an attempt to make a list of ten. No particular order.

Nightmare - Avenged Sevenfold
Wasted Years - Iron Maiden
Rock 'n' Roll Party In The Street - Axe
Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath
Crazy ***** - Buckcherry
Holy Diver - Ronnie James Dio
Screaming in the Night - Krokus
Tangled in the Web - Lynch Mob
No Leaf Clover - Metallica
B.Y.O.B. - System of a Down
Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy

Note, my favorite band of all time is Rush but there's no way I can put just one song on the list. Also love me some Satriani.

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pantera -Cemetery Gates
Pantera- Primal Concrete Sledge
Gojira- The Gift of Guilt
Trivium-Sever the hand
White Chapel- I Dementia
Slipknot -Custer
Meshuggah- Bleed
Shadows Fall- In effigy
God Forbid- Chains of Humamity
Amon Amarth- Cry of the Black Bird

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, you’re on the wrong thread with your sissy songs :p

Fun fact, Michael Bolton's first band opened for Ozzy Osbourne. There were rumors he auditioned for Black Sabbath but according to Wiki they are untrue. I've heard otherwise from people who grew up with him.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was pretty intelligent on metal music, but thanks to these lists, I'm learning some new music to look up and listen to. I'm more hair metal but here is an attempt to make a list of ten. No particular order.

Nightmare - Avenged Sevenfold
Wasted Years - Iron Maiden
Rock 'n' Roll Party In The Street - Axe
Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath
Crazy ***** - Buckcherry
Holy Diver - Ronnie James Dio
Screaming in the Night - Krokus
Tangled in the Web - Lynch Mob
No Leaf Clover - Metallica
B.Y.O.B. - System of a Down
Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy

Note, my favorite band of all time is Rush but there's no way I can put just one song on the list. Also love me some Satriani.
Gotta give you some credit for the Axe song. That’s pretty obscure. I have that cassette floating around my garage somewhere.

U

User1

View Badges
Ok, giving it a go but I’m going to need a longer tape. Any combination of 10 of these would keep me happy for a long time. Honestly I could come up with another 100 I like just as much but this is a pretty good representation of what I would pick.

Queen of the Ryche - Queensryche
Wolf - Iced Earth
Reign of Fire - Armored Saint
The Sentinel - Judas Priest
Beast and the Harlot - Avenged Sevenfold
Welcome Home - Coheed & Cambria
Metropolis Pt 1, the miracle and the sleeper - Dream Theater
Guardian - Fates Warning
Phantom of the Opera - Iron Maiden
Liar Liar (Wasteland Monarchy) - Kamelot
The End of Heartache - Killswitch Engage
Seek and Destroy - Metallica
Cemetary Gates - Pantera
Ragged Tooth - Protest the Hero
Battle Angels - Sanctuary
This Momentary Bliss - Soilwork
Of Mind: Nocturne - Tesseract

You exceeded the limit. You get credit for classic Ryche. Iced Earth - another credit. Probably lose one credit for Metropolis Pt 1. Of course this is just my opinion :D. Armored Saint - classic and well played. John Bush just has the proper voice. As does Matt Barlow formerly of Iced Earth.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You exceeded the limit. You get credit for classic Ryche. Iced Earth - another credit. Probably lose one credit for Metropolis Pt 1. Of course this is just my opinion :D. Armored Saint - classic and well played. John Bush just has the proper voice. As does Matt Barlow formerly of Iced Earth.
Love John Bush, Armored Saint is criminally Underrated. I believe I’ve got everything Barlow has recorded including the Pyramaze record and Ashes of Ares. He’s great. I get it about Dream Theater, not everyone’s thing but I’m a fan.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I saw Armored Saint on my birthday at the Paradise in Boston, Delirious Nomad tour. That was a good club show.

U

User1

View Badges
Love John Bush, Armored Saint is criminally Underrated. I believe I’ve got everything Barlow has recorded including the Pyramaze record and Ashes of Ares. He’s great. I get it about Dream Theater, not everyone’s thing but I’m a fan.

Actually I'm a huge DT fan pre drama of course. Haven't listened to anything after that. Apologies. I was just busting your chops on that particular song :). And yes, Armored Saint is stupidly underrated for what they did to the 80's heavy metal scene.

Not everything needs to be played at 130 notes / second. I get a lot of people think DragonForce created speed metal (they would be right at the commercial level) but they tend to forget bands like Raven, Anvil, Exciter, and so many more that beat them to the punch and played 10 times better. But alas this is just one mans opinion.

Side note - I did catch Metallica and Raven for their Kill them All / One for All tour... One of my more memorable shows.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I'm a huge DT fan pre drama of course. Haven't listened to anything after that. Apologies. I was just busting your chops on that particular song :). And yes, Armored Saint is stupidly underrated for what they did to the 80's heavy metal scene.

Not everything needs to be played at 130 notes / second. I get a lot of people think DragonForce created speed metal (they would be right at the commercial level) but they tend to forget bands like Raven, Anvil, Exciter, and so many more that beat them to the punch and played 10 times better. But alas this is just one mans opinion.

Side note - I did catch Metallica and Raven for their Kill them All / One for All tour... One of my more memorable shows.
No apologies needed, I didn’t take that badly. I don’t mind 130 notes per second if it’s interesting. I have one Dragonforce album and it’s ok for what it is but I tend to like my speed metal to be of the 80’s Bay Area thrash style I grew up with. If I’m going to listen to something fast now I tend to lean towards Protest the Hero that lives in a more progressive vein. Their last album, Pacific Myth, is amazing. Last time I saw Metallica was at Day on the Green at the Oakland Coliseum in 1985 while Cliff was still alive. They were 4th on the bill under Scorpions, Ratt and another huge personal favorite of mine Y&T if you can believe it. Was supposed to see Y&T at a Seattle club earlier this month but it got postponed because of the current pandemic.

U

User1

View Badges
No apologies needed, I didn’t take that badly. I don’t mind 130 notes per second if it’s interesting. I have one Dragonforce album and it’s ok for what it is but I tend to like my speed metal to be of the 80’s Bay Area thrash style I grew up with. If I’m going to listen to something fast now I tend to lean towards Protest the Hero that lives in a more progressive vein. Their last album, Pacific Myth, is amazing. Last time I saw Metallica was at Day on the Green at the Oakland Coliseum in 1985 while Cliff was still alive. They were 4th on the bill under Scorpions, Ratt and another huge personal favorite of mine Y&T if you can believe it. Was supposed to see Y&T at a Seattle club earlier this month but it got postponed because of the current pandemic.

Maybe we have met before - I was at that same show. Also saw them at Day on the Green in 91. That show got pretty intense and the rules changed thereafter due to the damage we did to the infield.

Edit. Love classic Y&T. Band knows how to weave in between speed and blues. Another underrated band. Go from Hurricane to Midnight in Tokyo to I Believe in You...

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe we have met before - I was at that same show. Also saw them at Day on the Green in 91. That show got pretty intense and the rules changed thereafter due to the damage we did to the infield.

Edit. Love classic Y&T. Band knows how to weave in between speed and blues. Another underrated band. Go from Hurricane to Midnight in Tokyo to I Believe in You...
Dave Meniketti is still going strong. Y&T really doesn’t sound like anybody else. If you like the classic era check out Unearthed vol 1 and 2. Lots of old demos Dave finished and released a few years ago. Covers all eras but mostly older stuff.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Cemetery Gates - Pantera
- Buried Alive - A7X
- Blackend - Metallica
- Sleepwalking - Bring Me The Horizon
- Pisces - Jinjer
- Mutter - Rammstein
- Invisible Wounds - Fear Factory
- Freak On A Leash - KoRn
- Before I Forget - Slipknot
- Spiders - System of A Down
- Passenger - Deftones

U

User1

View Badges
Dave Meniketti is still going strong. Y&T really doesn’t sound like anybody else. If you like the classic era check out Unearthed vol 1 and 2. Lots of old demos Dave finished and released a few years ago. Covers all eras but mostly older stuff.

I didn't know if they are still around after the member died a while back. Thanks for the tip and will check it out tonight!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back