OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love anything Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, 80's Metallica , Dio, Ozzy , slayer , Death Cradle of filth, and many many more
Malmsteen and Joe Satriani
I know picking 10 songs is very hard , I can pick 100's of songs

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know it's funny you mention this, and how our musical tastes change as we get older. While I was a true metal up your *** kind of kid in the 80's, and I of course still listen to those albums. I also really like the classic 70's southern rock.

And yet today in my mid 40's I find I listen to a lot of todays country(I find it's very similar to the older southern rock). Of course it helps that where I happen to live, todays country is the only channel I get on my car radio that actually works!

My Musical taste didn't change since I was a young boy, However Now I am forced to hear some baby shark songs ABCD and these **** . lol

And Now there is a song that stuck in my head "Toss a coin to your witcher oh valley of plenty "

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what I mean really, it's not that out musical tastes actually change, but the music itself changes.

Show me any "todays" bands that are like 90% of the albums in this thread. While thewre maybe a handful, the vast majority are not the old school 80's and 90's metal.

And being in my mid 40's, todays metal all sounds like screaming to me. But of course my parents thought the samething of my music back then.

Elliott Comans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Sabbath- war pigs
Slipknot - devil in I
-people = ****
Korn- Justin
Metallica - master of puppets
Slayer - raining blood
- South of heaven
System of a down - chop suet
Rob zombie - Dracula
Behemoth-Or a pro nobis lucifer

No order there , must of left of a couple (or 20 songs)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start a Floyd thread! GOAT in my opinion
I agree 1 million percent!.....I didn't get my profile name because of the hobby ;)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this thread about 5 seconds after @fabutahoun posted it yesterday. I began thinking about what songs I'd put on a Top 10 mix tape right then and continued considering different songs throughout the day. It's difficult to say how many arguments I had with myself. While thinking about my list I was seeing all the lists being posted. As I viewed many of the lists, my I grew more confused and my self-arguments intensified. After much deliberation, I came to the conclusion that it's simply impossible for me to come up with a Top 10. It's often been said about me that I cannot be put in a box on anything. Sometimes I wish this was not the case but, mostly, I'm happy with it.

In a nutshell, hats off to all of you who have come up with your lists and shared them. I do appreciate all of them!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know it's funny you mention this, and how our musical tastes change as we get older. While I was a true metal up your *** kind of kid in the 80's, and I of course still listen to those albums. I also really like the classic 70's southern rock.

And yet today in my mid 40's I find I listen to a lot of todays country(I find it's very similar to the older southern rock). Of course it helps that where I happen to live, todays country is the only channel I get on my car radio that actually works!

Allman Brother's Band...I saw them in the early '90s at Stowe or Sugarbush and was like dang where have these guys been hiding all my life....haha.

Since I'm in Vermont it's become all folk for me. My wife sings folk music and we even have a trip planned to Dollywood in Tennessee.

There's a local used record shop in Rutland , VT that still keeps the faith, old metalhead rocker that has live music in his store all the time usually local punk/metal acts.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what I mean really, it's not that out musical tastes actually change, but the music itself changes.

Show me any "todays" bands that are like 90% of the albums in this thread. While thewre maybe a handful, the vast majority are not the old school 80's and 90's metal.

And being in my mid 40's, todays metal all sounds like screaming to me. But of course my parents thought the samething of my music back then.
I get what you’re saying but my tastes have definitely evolved. I’m 50 and back in the 80’s I really only liked Maiden, Priest,Metallica and Bay Area thrash, plus all of the popular hair metal of the time. I still love most of that but I’ve really embraced some of the newer morphs that employ symphonic elements like Kamelot and Nightwish as well as some screaming like Soilwork and Killswitch Engage as long as they are also mixing in the clean melodic vocals. I really like the music of Arch Enemy but I never listen to it because it’s 100% harsh guttural death metal vocals and it becomes very ear fatiguing, which is too bad because the singer in that band, Alissa White-Gluz has a beautiful singing voice which they just choose not to use. I also really enjoy more progressive bands like Protest the Hero, Tool and Mastodon and Fates Warning. PtH’s Pacific Myth is one of the very best records of the last few years as is FW’s Theories of Flight.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you’re saying but my tastes have definitely evolved. I’m 50 and back in the 80’s I really only liked Maiden, Priest,Metallica and Bay Area thrash, plus all of the popular hair metal of the time. I still love most of that but I’ve really embraced some of the newer morphs that employ symphonic elements like Kamelot and Nightwish as well as some screaming like Soilwork and Killswitch Engage as long as they are also mixing in the clean melodic vocals. I really like the music of Arch Enemy but I never listen to it because it’s 100% harsh guttural death metal vocals and it becomes very ear fatiguing, which is too bad because the singer in that band, Alissa White-Gluz has a beautiful singing voice which they just choose not to use. I also really enjoy more progressive bands like Protest the Hero, Tool and Mastodon and Fates Warning. PtH’s Pacific Myth is one of the very best records of the last few years as is FW’s Theories of Flight.

Arch Enemy actually on their third singer. None of the previous singers did any clean vocals, so neither does AWG. You probably know but for some weird reason a lot of metal heads seem to have about 500 sub-genres and will debate for hours whether a band is neoclassical death metal or neoclassical melodic death metal or deathcore or whatever other garbage they want to label it as. So they put bands into a certain sub-genre and if they try to sway from that, you just get killed. Clean vocals/choruses is one of the defining traits of metalcore, which has a bad rap lately for whatever reason, so I can see why the band leaves the formula as-is. Jeff Loomis is also in that band now and it is waayyy below his skill set.

I'm like you though, as I have gotten older my tastes have gotten heavier.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arch Enemy actually on their third singer. None of the previous singers did any clean vocals, so neither does AWG. You probably know but for some weird reason a lot of metal heads seem to have about 500 sub-genres and will debate for hours whether a band is neoclassical death metal or neoclassical melodic death metal or deathcore or whatever other garbage they want to label it as. So they put bands into a certain sub-genre and if they try to sway from that, you just get killed. Clean vocals/choruses is one of the defining traits of metalcore, which has a bad rap lately for whatever reason, so I can see why the band leaves the formula as-is. Jeff Loomis is also in that band now and it is waayyy below his skill set.

I'm like you though, as I have gotten older my tastes have gotten heavier.
You’re right, and I know that AE and Michael Amott specifically are pretty much purists. I have no idea if Angela Gossow can sing or not but AWG can and I just think it’s a shame she doesn’t get to. Also agree that Loomis is creatively challenged in that band to be nice about. He’s just a hired, albeit famous, gun. I’d rather see him doing Nevermore but that’s never happening again for obvious reasons so I guess he’s gotta do something for the paycheck.
Check this out, it’s not “metal” but is is a phenomenal cover of AE’s War Eternal.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is my younger brother Playing Arpeggios from Hell by Yngwie Malmsteen.

That was amazing, your brother is really great. It’s hard to cover Yngwie because of how he alters the neck between the frets. I’ve seen Yngwie live twice back in the 80’s when he was at the top of his game.
By the way, Apologies for my part in helping to derail your thread from it’s original intention:)
I don’t usually do that.

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was amazing, your brother is really great. It’s hard to cover Yngwie because of how he alters the neck between the frets. I’ve seen Yngwie live twice back in the 80’s when he was at the top of his game.
By the way, Apologies for my part in helping to derail your thread from it’s original intention:)
I don’t usually do that.
No need to Apologies!! any comment related to Metal and electric guitar is most welcome

U

User1

View Badges
I don’t usually do that.

Yngwie is in his own world...and still top of his game. I don't think any musician who plays as much as they do degrades. Play loud!

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yngwie is in his own world...and still top of his game. I don't think any musician who plays as much as they do degrades. Play loud!
Satrani is an alien, different style than Yngwie but both are The best !

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure he’s still great. I haven’t seen him live in 30 years so I might be a little out of touch with him currently.
Check out this video for some extremely cool guitar gymnastics.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back