Complete list of reasons heaters fail!

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the reasons heaters fail and how does someone avoid? Please list common and uncommon reasons! Trying to compile a complete list, that if someone fully went through, could cover every conceivable base.

When a heater breaks or malfunctions, ASIDE FROM COOKING OR CHILLING THE TANK, can it crash the tank some other way ie through electricity or chemicals inside a heater or something else?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking for a complete list why heaters fail is either really simple, or something like asking to list of all the stupid things kids might do when they're not supervised. The can crack of they get banged, stepped on, bumped or looked at the wrong way on a Sunday morning. The thermostat is a mechanical device. It gets stuck. Sometimes stuck on, sometimes stuck off.

can it crash the tank some other way ie through electricity or chemicals inside a heater or something else?

Yes, if water gets in it can be a very bad day for your livestock.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking for a complete list why heaters fail is either really simple, or something like asking to list of all the stupid things kids might do when they're not supervised.

Yes, if water gets in it can be a very bad day for your livestock.
I am new and hoping to understand whats happened to others so I can avoid those things.

How can I prevent this electrical leak?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I prevent this electrical leak?
Plastic or titanium cased heaters help avoid it, but you can't completely prevent it. You can replace the heaters every year or two. Installing a ground probe in the water and a GFCI outlet can also help protect against electrical current leaks.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Go look in a mirror (Human Error).
2. heat cycling wore it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a heater fail due to inadequate flow. I suppose it got overheated as the hot water wasn’t moving away fast enough. Glass cracked and had a reading of 230 volts in my water...

I suggest to use a ground probe and GFCI. My livestock and corals were not negatively impacted as there was only voltage and no current until I put my hand in the tank.

Could’ve been a bad day for me and my fish...

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although my heater doesn't come on often where I live, I decided a long time ago to just replace it every 12-18 months whether it needs it or not.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having two higher quality heaters die on me and getting a nasty shock here is what I try and do about every 6 months or whenever I get a new heater.
But the heater in a 5 gallon bucket and air stone for water movement and leave for 5 minutes. Check temp and verify heater increased water temp and check with a multimeter to ensure its not leaking voltage. If both conditions are met and its under 150W I will let it try and reach setpoint. If it doesn't those become emergency/water change/backups or I just toss and replace. I hate aquarium heaters and still looking for a good one for nano tanks.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although my heater doesn't come on often where I live, I decided a long time ago to just replace it every 12-18 months whether it needs it or not.

Same. I have two for redundancy. Each are replaced after 1 yr, scheduled on a 6 month offset. I have no problem selling them locally when I do.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back