Complete Newb Waterbox 50.3 Buld

ReeferDad93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! Saltwater reef keeping is an extremely new hobby for me. Therefore, I have a lot of questions in regards to well… pretty much everything. Would you mind taking a look at my planned build for a Waterbox 50.3 AIO and give some feedback.

Waterbox 50.3 AIO Build
So here’s what im thinking for this setup. This is my first reef tank so any input or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Either 2 AI Prime 16 HD or 2 Kessil A360X Leaning towards the AI Prime simply because of price point. The majority of the reviews I read were positive and seems like these would be the best fit… for now.

I think I’m pretty set on the IM Mighy Jet AIO DC for return pump. Great reviews from what I can see. Comparing to the Sicce Syncra 2.0, seems like most are happy with the IM.

Decided on the Nero 5 powerhead. Does anyone know of the AI app for IOS is really that terrible? Also can it control all the AI products or are there separate apps?

200 watt Titanium heater with Wi-Fi controller. Seemed pretty straight forward.

40lb Carib Sea Dry Live Rock and Special Grade Arag-Alive! Sand. Looks like best way to go without having to worry about introducing pests but also beneficial bacteria during the cycle.

Additional Equipment: These are things I think down the road I will most likely be grabbing in no particular order

Tunze DC 9004 Protein Skimmer

5 stage RO/DI filter

ATO (is one really better than the other?)

Doser (way down the road when I feel like I can handle the responsibilities of multiple expensive AF corals)

For now all of that seems to be a pretty good start. My biggest hang up is the media. Stick with filter sock, use the basket? Probably watch another 70 YouTube videos to game plan which way I want to go.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the dark side of your bank account!!!! :)

Sicce pumps are really nice. I use a few of them for media reactors and UV. Very quiet.

I strongly suggest you move the RODI and ATO items to the top of your list. Two things that will immediately eliminate potential issues as you start this hobby.

Lighting is typically driven by what kind of tank you intend on keeping. FOWLR tanks don't need expensive tanks. Softie tanks need less light. Stony tanks will need more light. Focus on your end-game, and go with that light. Higher end lights can always be dialed down. So, if your goal is SPS or a mixed reef, get good lights.

OP
OP
ReeferDad93

ReeferDad93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the dark side of your bank account!!!! :)

Sicce pumps are really nice. I use a few of them for media reactors and UV. Very quiet.

I strongly suggest you move the RODI and ATO items to the top of your list. Two things that will immediately eliminate potential issues as you start this hobby.

Lighting is typically driven by what kind of tank you intend on keeping. FOWLR tanks don't need expensive tanks. Softie tanks need less light. Stony tanks will need more light. Focus on your end-game, and go with that light. Higher end lights can always be dialed down. So, if your goal is SPS or a mixed reef, get good
Thank you for the advice! I think for now the tank will be LPS/Softie until I good grip on care and maintenance. Do you think the AI Primes will be alright for that? Knowing myself, I know I’ll upgrade to a larger tank in the future and focus more on mixed reef at that point.

Back