Completely new Reefer!!

NOT310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Completely new to Reefing, made the switch from African Cichlids.

This is my Aqua One ReefSys255
Any Tips & Advice would be greatly appreciated

List of equipment bellow.
-Sicce SDC 7.0 Pump
-RedSea LED 90
-RedSea 300 Skimmer
-Sicce XStream-E wave maker
-ReeFill ATO
-Aquael Platinum Heater
-Real reef rock

Definitely want to look into getting a Reactor but I’ll need something smaller to make it fit, any suggestions on brand would be greatly appreciated

B1D910E3-8D58-4FF1-9717-9244FE370DF1.jpeg 7BD4C8F2-F7EA-4D50-897B-9BFFDF8CA11C.jpeg 310C36B9-D2F2-4B71-84DE-15BFC0F2B01A.jpeg 069C7BBC-1FFF-4370-ADEC-DB4DD2603607.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Completely new to Reefing, made the switch from African Cichlids.

This is my Aqua One ReefSys255
Any Tips & Advice would be greatly appreciated

List of equipment bellow.
-Sicce SDC 7.0 Pump
-RedSea LED 90
-RedSea 300 Skimmer
-Sicce XStream-E wave maker
-ReeFill ATO
-Aquael Platinum Heater
-Real reef rock

Definitely want to look into getting a Reactor but I’ll need something smaller to make it fit, any suggestions on brand would be greatly appreciated

B1D910E3-8D58-4FF1-9717-9244FE370DF1.jpeg 7BD4C8F2-F7EA-4D50-897B-9BFFDF8CA11C.jpeg 310C36B9-D2F2-4B71-84DE-15BFC0F2B01A.jpeg 069C7BBC-1FFF-4370-ADEC-DB4DD2603607.jpeg
Looks great!

Also looks super clean and new... so what type of reactor and do you NEED it at this time since space seems to be at a premium. This hobby there are many things that we could buy and use, but then there is the reality of space and logistics... Next to your tank seems like a door which would mean doorway, so going outside your tank to the side doesn't seem possible and under your tank inside tank's stand seems completely taken...

If this setup is brand new, then first let it cycle, let it settle, and then for anything more you want - decide do you really need XYZ... and if you do, then ask what might you give up to make space ... because if you really need XYZ (in this case reactor), then what isn't working as intended (and maybe it could be tweaked to work better...) and if tweaking doesn't work - take something out to make space

I've got biopellet reactor squeezed between my sump and my tank cabinet door, sitting up on a scrap of 4"x4" lumber because its hoses for intake pump and out/drain go back to my sump. Not ideal, but everything else to control nitrate & phosphate wasn't getting our numbers in reasonable ranges (I'm an overfeeder). I'm also outside my tank stand on both sides for chiller and 4' tall UV sterilizer plumbed into return lines. At least I got the reactor into stand... barely

OP
OP
NOT310

NOT310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

Also looks super clean and new... so what type of reactor and do you NEED it at this time since space seems to be at a premium. This hobby there are many things that we could buy and use, but then there is the reality of space and logistics... Next to your tank seems like a door which would mean doorway, so going outside your tank to the side doesn't seem possible and under your tank inside tank's stand seems completely taken...

If this setup is brand new, then first let it cycle, let it settle, and then for anything more you want - decide do you really need XYZ... and if you do, then ask what might you give up to make space ... because if you really need XYZ (in this case reactor), then what isn't working as intended (and maybe it could be tweaked to work better...) and if tweaking doesn't work - take something out to make space

I've got biopellet reactor squeezed between my sump and my tank cabinet door, sitting up on a scrap of 4"x4" lumber because its hoses for intake pump and out/drain go back to my sump. Not ideal, but everything else to control nitrate & phosphate wasn't getting our numbers in reasonable ranges (I'm an overfeeder). I'm also outside my tank stand on both sides for chiller and 4' tall UV sterilizer plumbed into return lines. At least I got the reactor into stand... barely
I appreciate the reply!
Currently cycling the tank now, a little bit less then a week. Using Dr Tim’s One and Only and Dr Tim’s Ammonia.
I guess the reason for the reactor is all I have seen is other aquariums with them . So I thought you “have” to get one at some stage.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super new set up and well scraped, and good luck, take your time. - I have a small BRS reactor in the sump and use it for carbon in the case of a suspicious environmental exposure - and really glad to have it. Better to have and not need it..

Once agIan, nice set up and good luck

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
NOT310

NOT310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super new set up and well scraped, and good luck, take your time. - I have a small BRS reactor in the sump and use it for carbon in the case of a suspicious environmental exposure - and really glad to have it. Better to have and not need it..

Once agIan, nice set up and good luck
Thinking of doing something similar myself! I think I’d rather have one then not. Definitely taking my time with everything mate, once the tank is cycled, do you recommend any fish in particular to get it all going?

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

Thank you!! If there is any advice you can throw at me please feel free haha
Nothing happens fast...except bad stuff. The minute you feel yourself trying to go 100mph....take a few laps around a few blocks! lol

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of reactors
The only thing I have ever used is a skimmer ( I prefer external ) and phosban reactors for carbon , rowaphos

That’s it .
I have thought years ago about adding a carx calcium reactor but I haven’t found the essential need for it yet .

OP
OP
NOT310

NOT310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing happens fast...except bad stuff. The minute you feel yourself trying to go 100mph....take a few laps around a few blocks! lol
Haha that’s fair!! In terms of bad stuff what exactly is there to expect or look out for? Should I start with a few fish once cycled, add a few corals?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of doing something similar myself! I think I’d rather have one then not. Definitely taking my time with everything mate, once the tank is cycled, do you recommend any fish in particular to get it all going?
Man, I just saw where you are posting from, and your selection of fish is drastically superior to mine…. That said, I have always tried to start with a royal gramma - which i doubt is a readily available there. It is sentimental pick, hardy, and a great mediator of tank squabbles for me… There will always be time for clowns later, put in some easy corals, CUC, and settle in for the ups and downs of the first 4 months. Hold back on the lighting intensity and ease into the biomass and subsequent nutrient flow.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha that’s fair!! In terms of bad stuff what exactly is there to expect or look out for? Should I start with a few fish once cycled, add a few corals?
See below, and note Jake Adams, who has supported adding corals from hte get go to support cycling. I tried it with 15 gal WB and worked like a charm. With your exposure to local supplied corals, it should be easy.
Really recommend “Reef Therapy” podcast for no nonsense guidance for a reefer of any experience level

OP
OP
NOT310

NOT310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See below, and note Jake Adams, who has supported adding corals from hte get go to support cycling. I tried it with 15 gal WB and worked like a charm. With your exposure to local supplied corals, it should be easy.
Really recommend “Reef Therapy” podcast for no nonsense guidance for a reefer of any experience level
Which corals would you recommend to start off with?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which corals would you recommend to start off with?
Opinions vary, but easy coral and corals with substrate to help with the microbiome would be LPS like turbinaria and Duncan’s
other easy ones would be a small affordable zoa frag or three,
again we all all are envious of you all down there with the diversity and supply
pay attention to the advice of other and if you go with Green star polyp, which will help break the tank in, that you keep it on an island, or you will regret it
that said I have several islands of it in each tank

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back