Completely Stumped - How to Use Neptune DOS with Kalk Stirrer

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,

A few searches yielded a few clues, but I'm stumped on how to make this work properly. Here is what I'm trying to do:

I have an Avast Kalk Stirrer I would like to use to dispense Kalk at night, to supplement my CA Reactor and possibly get a PH boost as well. I have a DOS connected to my stirrer, and to my reservoir that is about 5 feet away. The issue I have is that my pump moves too slowly to properly fill the stirrer, and start a drip. How can I speed up the pump to make this work?

I'd like to drip a small amount of kalk, say 20-50 ml to start, but simply can't get the DOS to pull the water fast enough. (If I set it up using the wizard for a water change, it works great, as the pump spins much faster, but I can't get good control on how much I dose using that method)

I'm grateful for any advice and help!

Thanks!

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my code, remove the leak statements, it should work. It’s been a while, not sure if you have to set the flow rate in the profiles?

Maybe add a If Time 09:00 to 21:00 Then OFF

to keep it turned off during the day and only dose at night.

Fallback OFF
OSC 020:00/002:45/007:15 Then ON
If pH > 8.30 Then OFF
If Output LeakFrntSump = ON Then OFF
If Output LeakBackSump = ON Then OFF
If Output LeakON = ON Then OFF

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I think a flow rate needs to be set in the profiles, but no idea how to do that, or attach the profile to the DOS so it works properly. :(

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS has 3 options on how to control it:

1, The graphical schedule, where you simply tell it how much to dose and what hours to run, and the DOS automatically decides how to break that up into equal amounts throughout the scheduled hours, and it decides on the slowest speed possible. This is the simplest method, but as you noted, it does not give you control over the pumping rate.

2. Using direct programming to turn it ON or OFF, like the example shown above by @iReefer12:

This method allows you to decide when it runs, but not the speed or direction. When you set the DOS to ON, it runs clockwise at a steady 25 mL/min.

3. Using direct programming to apply a DOS Profile. This method allows you to specify the DOS speed, direction, and the number of repeated intervals. Here's a screenshot of a DOS profile that would deliver 60 mL one time at a rate of 60 mL/min, with the pump rotating clockwise (Forward):
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 3.38.03 PM.png

The method to apply the profile will depend on what conditions you need. For example, if you just want it to do this once at a particular time of day, then the If Time command could be used:

If Time 08:00 to 08:05 Then DOS_60

But if you want it to run repeatedly throughout the day, you'll need to use a combination of the OSC command and a virtual output. Since OSC cannot directly apply a profile (you can only specify ON or OFF), the virtual output will act as the OSC timer, and then the DOS will apply the profile every time the virtual output is ON:

[DOS_Timer] -- virtual output

[DOS]
Set OFF
If Output DOS_Timer = ON Then DOS_60

You can see more examples of direct DOS programming in Neptune's DOS User Guide starting on page 6:

If you're not familiar with virtual outputs, see my tutorial here:

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to do the same thing and not sure if it is even dosing anything. I use to use it in ato and would clearly see ph spike and an increase in alk and calcium. Thought this stirrer would help keep things consistent, but I do not ever see anything dripping out of tube with dos

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef - Thank you again. I'm getting an error message when I try and send the programing. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Ultimately, what I'd like to do is have the DOS spin at 60 ml/min and dose Kalk once an hour for 1 minute, or even better, at a controlled amount of say 10 ml to start, and then fine tune either the time or amount as needed.

Any ideas? I'm still stumped with trying to figure this out!

The DOS has 3 options on how to control it:

1, The graphical schedule, where you simply tell it how much to dose and what hours to run, and the DOS automatically decides how to break that up into equal amounts throughout the scheduled hours, and it decides on the slowest speed possible. This is the simplest method, but as you noted, it does not give you control over the pumping rate.

2. Using direct programming to turn it ON or OFF, like the example shown above by @iReefer12:

This method allows you to decide when it runs, but not the speed or direction. When you set the DOS to ON, it runs clockwise at a steady 25 mL/min.

3. Using direct programming to apply a DOS Profile. This method allows you to specify the DOS speed, direction, and the number of repeated intervals. Here's a screenshot of a DOS profile that would deliver 60 mL one time at a rate of 60 mL/min, with the pump rotating clockwise (Forward):
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 3.38.03 PM.png

The method to apply the profile will depend on what conditions you need. For example, if you just want it to do this once at a particular time of day, then the If Time command could be used:

If Time 08:00 to 08:05 Then DOS_60

But if you want it to run repeatedly throughout the day, you'll need to use a combination of the OSC command and a virtual output. Since OSC cannot directly apply a profile (you can only specify ON or OFF), the virtual output will act as the OSC timer, and then the DOS will apply the profile every time the virtual output is ON:

[DOS_Timer] -- virtual output

[DOS]
Set OFF
If Output DOS_Timer = ON Then DOS_60

You can see more examples of direct DOS programming in Neptune's DOS User Guide starting on page 6:

If you're not familiar with virtual outputs, see my tutorial here:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef - Thank you again. I'm getting an error message when I try and send the programing. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Ultimately, what I'd like to do is have the DOS spin at 60 ml/min and dose Kalk once an hour for 1 minute, or even better, at a controlled amount of say 10 ml to start, and then fine tune either the time or amount as needed.

Any ideas? I'm still stumped with trying to figure this out!
What is the error message? Please post a screenshot.

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see below:

Attachments

• Web capture_30-11-2021_152953_apexfusion.com.jpeg
    Web capture_30-11-2021_152953_apexfusion.com.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 76
  • Web capture_30-11-2021_152931_apexfusion.com.jpeg
    Web capture_30-11-2021_152931_apexfusion.com.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 44

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back