Comprehensive plan for first reef tank (IM 25g lagoon) - Looking for feedback

pieceofreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am looking forward to soon set up my first every reef tank and first ever aquarium. I'm a scuba diver and love the idea of having a slice of the ocean in my home. I've spent the last couple months doing my research in great detail and especially found this forum super useful.

I made a comprehensive plan of equipment and stock list here in a Google spreadsheet). I would love feedback on this plan. It all sums up to about $2500 in equipment.

I put a stock list of ~4-5 fish on the second sheet in the spreadsheet as well (TLDR: I'm especially excited about a Potter's angel and a McCosker flasher wrasse, and perhaps adding a clown and blenny as well)

I also have the following specific questions. I know they are a lot but I thought I'd collect them all here. If you share your thoughts on any of them I'll be very grateful:
  • How badly do I need a QT tank for a new 25g tank with ~4 fish? I am planning to dip coral.
  • Please review my equipment plan. Am I missing something or wasting money somewhere?
  • What RODI unit is a good value choice? Many mention the Spectrapure 90 GPD refurb unit, but I can't find it on Spectrapure website. When might they be available again?
  • Do I need to put egg crate under rocks? Will this be a problem for pistol shrimp?
  • Does anyone have experience with using smart wifi power strips?
  • I am planning to get the Icecap 1K Gyre instead of a MP10 as it is much cheaper. What do you think? The gyre seems to be quite new with few reviews.
  • I am deciding between the Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB skimmer and the Icecap K1 Nano Skimmer (much cheaper, and fits into back chamber, not as big/ugly). I'm leaning towards the Aquamaxx to support a heavier bioload (4-5 fish). Thoughts?
  • Is it fine to use basic API test kits for cycling and initial stages and only later switch to more accurate test kits like Salifert, Hanna, and Red Sea?
  • Is Bayer coral dip okay for softies and LPS or should I use something else?
  • I travel a lot up to 3-4 weeks. How to best prepare for that (beyond large ATO container, autofeeder, and not messing with tank just before)?
  • When purchasing everything together (ca $2500), are there good ways to get discounts/cashback beyond the points from BRS/MarineDepot?
  • Are there reef clubs / reef events / frag swaps in/around Seattle, WA?
  • Where can I get cheap starter coral?
Thank you very much! I can't wait to start this tank :)

atticus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am looking forward to soon set up my first every reef tank and first ever aquarium. I'm a scuba diver and love the idea of having a slice of the ocean in my home. I've spent the last couple months doing my research in great detail and especially found this forum super useful.

I made a comprehensive plan of equipment and stock list here in a Google spreadsheet). I would love feedback on this plan. It all sums up to about $2500 in equipment.

I put a stock list of ~4-5 fish on the second sheet in the spreadsheet as well (TLDR: I'm especially excited about a Potter's angel and a McCosker flasher wrasse, and perhaps adding a clown and blenny as well)

I also have the following specific questions. I know they are a lot but I thought I'd collect them all here. If you share your thoughts on any of them I'll be very grateful:
  • How badly do I need a QT tank for a new 25g tank with ~4 fish? I am planning to dip coral.
  • Please review my equipment plan. Am I missing something or wasting money somewhere?
  • What RODI unit is a good value choice? Many mention the Spectrapure 90 GPD refurb unit, but I can't find it on Spectrapure website. When might they be available again?
  • Do I need to put egg crate under rocks? Will this be a problem for pistol shrimp?
  • Does anyone have experience with using smart wifi power strips?
  • I am planning to get the Icecap 1K Gyre instead of a MP10 as it is much cheaper. What do you think? The gyre seems to be quite new with few reviews.
  • I am deciding between the Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB skimmer and the Icecap K1 Nano Skimmer (much cheaper, and fits into back chamber, not as big/ugly). I'm leaning towards the Aquamaxx to support a heavier bioload (4-5 fish). Thoughts?
  • Is it fine to use basic API test kits for cycling and initial stages and only later switch to more accurate test kits like Salifert, Hanna, and Red Sea?
  • Is Bayer coral dip okay for softies and LPS or should I use something else?
  • I travel a lot up to 3-4 weeks. How to best prepare for that (beyond large ATO container, autofeeder, and not messing with tank just before)?
  • When purchasing everything together (ca $2500), are there good ways to get discounts/cashback beyond the points from BRS/MarineDepot?
  • Are there reef clubs / reef events / frag swaps in/around Seattle, WA?
  • Where can I get cheap starter coral?
Thank you very much! I can't wait to start this tank :)

Looks like you have covered everything on your list. I’d get it all!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a fusion 20. Im using the gyre 1k, i also choose it over an mp10, its great. It took alot of playing around with it but i have it dialed in. I only use one side of it, i never even tried it with both sides on, it would be too much in my tank. Fyi it basically killed my hammer coral because the flow is pretty strong but im ok with that as i have some sps that are getting great flow instead. I would research rock scaping in order to help with development of high and low flow areas of the tank. I scaped mine before i added the gyre and only have a few spots with lower flow for less demanding coral. If i didnt have any sps i would just turn it way down and it would be fine but the sps need it and i like the way it helps too keep all the detritus suspended and off the sand. The gyre will certainly take more work to dial in compared to an mp10 but once you find the right combination of power and placement it does wonders. I plan on keeping it when i upgrade to a bigger tank! I also have the aquamaxx hob skimmer and after a week or two it helped bring my nitrates down signifigantly. I got a bit lazy with water changes this summer and it was nice to see my skimmer working hard to help the tank stay clean. All in all its not really necessary if you religously change water weekly but im too busy for that so i keep it going nonstop right now. Id rather have lower nutrients that sky high. I recommend both of those products. I would say you could go without a skimmer for awhile and add it later though...

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also get some Seachem Matrix in a media bag and drop it in the sump area. Its a nice home for bacteria and pods to grow. I keep a bunch in mine and when i need my QT tank running i can pull some out and put it the QT for biological filtration! Its completely inert and does not absorb medications. Perfect for a QT on demand! I used API to cycle and got Red Sea tests later on when i got coral. Just got a hanna checker for alk today! Also recommend the smart micro ato, it works great!

OP
OP
P

pieceofreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also get some Seachem Matrix in a media bag and drop it in the sump area. Its a nice home for bacteria and pods to grow. I keep a bunch in mine and when i need my QT tank running i can pull some out and put it the QT for biological filtration! Its completely inert and does not absorb medications. Perfect for a QT on demand! I used API to cycle and got Red Sea tests later on when i got coral. Just got a hanna checker for alk today! Also recommend the smart micro ato, it works great!

Sorry for the slow response. Life got in the way. Thank you for your very helpful answers!

I was planning on getting Marine Pure bio gems for bacteria and pods. Is there any benefit to the Seachem Matrix specifically?

Thanks for the feedback on the icecap gyre and aquamaxx skimmer. I might get both for my build.

Thanks!

OP
OP
P

pieceofreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it make sense to actively seed a small AIO tank with pods (25g lagoon, no refugium, when starting with no/little bioload)? I'm wondering whether ordering pods makes sense or I shouldn't worry about it at all. I'm planning clown, goby, flasher wrasse, small angel as stocklist.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back