Computer Vision for Fish Diagnosis

ForrestGump

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a company called Felix Smart that is already working on this. They have an aquarium controller that uses a camera in the tank to monitor for illness.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in 1975 Eduard Kingsford, M.D. wrote Treatment of Exotic Marine Fish Diseases. Chapter two of this book consisted of a 46 step diagnostic procedure for identifying different diseases. About this time I was running a BBS (Bulletin Board System) called Radiata Press BBS. My BBS was actually in support of MACNA 3. I rewrote and coded his procedure into the BBS. It was originally running on an Atari ST system and was later converted to a Windows system. (I'd like to credit both BBS applications, but they (like my memory of them) are now long gone. I might be able to find some of my code, but it (like my memory) is probably long gone. I do still have his book, and I'd be willing to send photocopies of Kingford's procedure to anyone committed to creating a free diagnostic procedure for reefers, even if it is incorporated into the Reef2Reef site.

brokeaquarist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to keeping an aquarium and recently had my first fish die. Needless to say, this has me wondering a few things.

Did I do something wrong? Did I diagnosis the correct illness/ or disease or parasite or bacteria? Did I buy the right medication?

Members here on R2R were quick to jump in and provide some solutions and diagnosis and for that I am very thankful. What I did realize is that there is a lack of state of the art tools to help out us aquarists.

I have experience in building computer vision diagnostic systems. I am interested to see if it has a place within this hobby. The most important thing to make this work is volume of data, pictures of fish with their diagnosis.

I look to you members. If this is something that would be useful to you, help me build it with data! Send me or post pictures of your sick fish and their diagnosis. I will collect, sort and begin training the computer vision model!

If there are any developers in the community out there that would like to be a part of this, send me a message!

Looking forward to hearing the feedback.
This is really cool. I am in school right now for IT /cybersecurity and have at least a decent understanding of databases /app dev atm. I really want to come up with something to help w/aquaculture too.

I think however, aside from pictures, the application will need to have some other variables that a person would have to fill in to make a better diagnosis. Otherwise there is just Too many diseases that can be inferred from a picture or two that a person submits.

I bet one way to sorta make the app work is to have it custom to the client. The client fills in all specifications of the tank and current stock, current parameters, and desired parameters, etc- and have pictures of the animals in the tank before anything happens... This way the AI will know (or have a better chance of guessing) what fish/animal/coral it is looking at.

Once the client OK's that the AI has the correct ID of the fish, it can move on to the next step.

Of course, the AI can get some info from probes, but certain things should be filled in before /during a diagnosis to get a more accurate idea of what is going on:
Variables : Temperature, Salinity/SG, ammonia/nitrate, nutrients, Feeding protocols, What medication(s) have been tried?, water change done recently? any tank changes or additions recently? was it quarantined? chemicals sprayed nearby? etc....
Physical changes in the animal, behavior, eating habits etc... should be noted too. LOTS of varying factors here .
----

A lot of time, in my experience, many diseases are caused by inconsistencies of some kind. A software can definitely help with tracking these inconsistencies and possible husbandry mistakes.

The issues with this app idea mainly come from the AI part of the equation, where the AI must match what ick looks like from a HUGE database of sources of LOTS of different kinds of fish. There is definitely chances that the machine can learn to falsely ID a fish with ick just because it has seen many of the same looking fish with ick, for example.

There also must be a huge database of various illnesses and ailments. I think that there would have to be some sort of verification system .... maybe even by the community itself and or the client to vote whether a picture fits the descriptor the AI thinks it is.

I think the app must also feature extensive descriptions of the illnesses at hand to help with diagnoses. Also, some after care sheets too to help with treatment :)

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are very few new books for reefers so I am very happy with the fact that Yay is working on a new one.
In the book I would like to see a diagnostic tool and links to videos showing how to
make a skin scrape without killing the fish
make a gill scrape without killing the fish
find and examine different internal parasites (killing 1 fish)
Normal size and looks of internal organs for different fish families (liver?)

The kind of videos that can be used for online education.
Not the kind of videos Yay and others look at friday night with a glass of whisky in the hand to get a good laugh.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in 1975 Eduard Kingsford, M.D. wrote Treatment of Exotic Marine Fish Diseases. Chapter two of this book consisted of a 46 step diagnostic procedure for identifying different diseases. About this time I was running a BBS (Bulletin Board System) called Radiata Press BBS. My BBS was actually in support of MACNA 3. I rewrote and coded his procedure into the BBS. It was originally running on an Atari ST system and was later converted to a Windows system. (I'd like to credit both BBS applications, but they (like my memory of them) are now long gone. I might be able to find some of my code, but it (like my memory) is probably long gone. I do still have his book, and I'd be willing to send photocopies of Kingford's procedure to anyone committed to creating a free diagnostic procedure for reefers, even if it is incorporated into the Reef2Reef site.
Kingsford's book was our "bible" back in the day. It doesn't hold up too well though - in his diagnostic key, he lists "nitrite poisoning" as one outcome. We now know that nitrite is non-toxic to marine fish, but perhaps by substituting "ammonia" in the same spot it would work.

I was a Sysop on Compuserve's FISHNET in the mid-1980's... I vaguely recall hearing about your BBS, but that was a long time ago!

Jay

OP
OP
MorrisMustang

MorrisMustang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a company called Felix Smart that is already working on this. They have an aquarium controller that uses a camera in the tank to monitor for illness.
I looked at their site. Their device looks a regular aquarium controller that can also attach a camera. I can’t find any evidence of computer vision on that camera. Do you have a link or source you can post?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back