Concerned about Eheim Jager Heater (Light is Always On - My Other Brands have the Light Off Most of

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought two Eheim Jager Heaters (Both from Different Places) since everyone said that they were the Best Heaters out there By Far.

But I am very Concerned since the Light is On Most of the Time (Probably 95 Percent of the Time).

Now I have tried many Brands in the Past (Tetra, Marineland, etc.) and with all those Brands the Heater Light Stayed Off Most of the Time (Probably 95% of the Time it was Off).

I always Hear of Heaters "Sticking" and Cooking Aquariums which lead me to stop using Heaters all together for a while but now with Winter it is getting too Cold.

I am scarred to use them since I feel they will Kill my Tank but everyone says that this Brand Never Fails and I have hear of multiple stories where people have had them for 30 Years and are still using them.

Are they supposed to be Heating the Aquarium all the Time like this or did I get two Bad Heaters from Jager?

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most all heaters i have used when the light is on the heater is on. Is your tank temperture rising? Could be they are too small for your tank and they are having a hard time keeping up. Keep a eye on your temp and if they reach the temp you want and keep heating i would be concerned.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get a big enough heater for your tank size? If its to small it will constantly try to heat the water.

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redundancies are what you should have with heaters and chillers, a controller like Ranco to over ride a stuck on heater will save a tank. Or better yet a Apex or RKL. Sounds like your heater is to small, but if temp keeps rising take it offline.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get a big enough heater for your tank size? If its to small it will constantly try to heat the water.

They were Rated for my Aquariums so they are not undersized.

And the Temperature is constant. (But the Aquarium is 81 and I have the Heaters set at 77 (So that scares me too).

I am just concerned as I have never seem a Heater do this before.

Normally the Green Light is on but with these Jagers the Light is Orange.

Last edited:

Rockhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a simple rest , put in a 5gal bucket set the temp you desire and wait , better then trying it on your tank . I run 2 150w eheim on my tank and they cycle on and off just fine. (heater off light is off)

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The instructin sheet says Red light = heater in operation) What size tank do you have and what is the size of heater?

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the Temperature is constant. (But the Aquarium is 81 and I have the Heaters set at 77 (So that scares me too).

Normally the Green Light is on but with these Jagers the Light is Orange.

did you calibrate the heater? what kind of thermometer are you using? place the heater in a high flow area, get a thermometer away from the heater in a different high flow area and check the temperature reading. then re-calibrate the heater (move the temperature ring to whatever temp thermometer says), now reset your heater to the desired temperature.

when calibrating I've used basic glass in tank heaters.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you calibrate the heater? what kind of thermometer are you using? place the heater in a high flow area, get a thermometer away from the heater in a different high flow area and check the temperature reading. then re-calibrate the heater (move the temperature ring to whatever temp thermometer says), now reset your heater to the desired temperature.

when calibrating I've used basic glass in tank heaters.

I do not understand what you mean by Calibrating or Resetting a Heater?

Don't you Calibrate things with Liquids?

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerned about Eheim Jager Heater (Light is Always On - My Other Brands have...

check the instructions that came with the heater. the eheim heaters need to be calibrated.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back