Concerned about light spill from LED bars. Should I match led bar size to tank size or go smaller?

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 75 gallon reef tank that I'm cycling and have 80/20 fixtures attached with the intent to buy the orphic or the reef bright LED bars. I have the 80/20 fixture about 16-in off the water, and intended to attach the bars to leave enough room to maneuver the screen to open with the lights being about 12 inches or so off the water. They're on sale right now for Black Friday and as I look at them online I am getting concerned that matching the 48-in LED bar to a 48-in tank 12-in of the water might give me some serious light spill. Since I am mostly doing a mixed reef I don't necessarily need tremendous par, and I was wondering if a few 36-in strips would be more appropriate (considering 2 blue and 1 daylight)? I would like to get decent par and spread however I hate the look of the blue light on the walls when the lights are too high. I'm just looking for any input at all. Thank you very much

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried asking in the lighting subforum? I know it's been a while since Black Friday, but you might be able to get better information there!

just4plaay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My light bars don't have much soil at all. I think LEDs are pretty focused to get the PAR out of them. If it were me I'd go tank length to prevent dark spots at either end.

Attachments

• PXL_20201214_134713349.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201214_134713349.MP.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 39

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be too bad

Nargard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My light bars don't have much soil at all. I think LEDs are pretty focused to get the PAR out of them. If it were me I'd go tank length to prevent dark spots at either end.
How do you like your LED strips? I'm considering

Current USA Orbit Marine IC PRO LED 4336 Dual Light Fixture with LOOP Bluetooth Control - 36 - 48 Inch​

for my 22 long nano reef build.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your LED strips? I'm considering

Current USA Orbit Marine IC PRO LED 4336 Dual Light Fixture with LOOP Bluetooth Control - 36 - 48 Inch​

for my 22 long nano reef build.
If your doing a reef. Do yourself a favor and spend the money. A budget light I have heard good things about is the necrew hyperreef. How long is your tank?

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 75 gallon reef tank that I'm cycling and have 80/20 fixtures attached with the intent to buy the orphic or the reef bright LED bars. I have the 80/20 fixture about 16-in off the water, and intended to attach the bars to leave enough room to maneuver the screen to open with the lights being about 12 inches or so off the water. They're on sale right now for Black Friday and as I look at them online I am getting concerned that matching the 48-in LED bar to a 48-in tank 12-in of the water might give me some serious light spill. Since I am mostly doing a mixed reef I don't necessarily need tremendous par, and I was wondering if a few no no 36-in strips would be more appropriate (considering 2 blue and 1 daylight)? I would like to get decent par and spread however I hate the look of the blue light on the walls when the lights are too high. I'm just looking for any input at all. Thank you very much
I have the OR3s 12” over my tank and pretty close to the edge. They are pretty focused with about a 45degree spread. So the spill is minimal.

Nargard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your doing a reef. Do yourself a favor and spend the money. A budget light I have heard good things about is the necrew hyperreef. How long is your tank?
22 long that is 35.5".

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back