Concerned about recent order.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Calebd91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed order on 1/25 for medium yellow watchman goby and medium tiger pistol shrimp, received on 1/27. Outside of packaging was damp and cold. Opened in the dark to save shock of livestock, noticed heat pack was ice cold and wet, package had wet newspaper wrapped around bags. Rememoved each bag an feared the worst as fish and shrimp were motionless. Immediately floated them for 30 minutes to bring temp up since they was so cold. Started getting some movement from them, but goby would occasionally roll over in the bag an lay still. Started dripping 10ml tank water every 4 minutes to slowly acclimate. Still getting some movement, so removed and discarded half the bag water and began dripping again for 30 more min. Seemed to be moving and “ok” to be added to display, added the goby first who immediately went to the bottom and layed next to edge of rock work, hardly moving but still alive. Released the shrimp as close to goby in hopes of pairing up early. He went to the other side of rock an just hung out in one spot for awhile. Watched them for about 2 hours and they never moved from initial spots. Tank lights where off at this time and just a little ambient light from adjoining room. Got called in to work night shift so before I left made one last check on them and still alive in same spot, turned only the moonlight dim blue lights on just to give them little light to find a Burrow or cave. Come home from work and they are both no where to be found, I assumed they found a burrow or are in the large cave of the rock work (multiple entrances, but can’t see complete inside). It’s been 3 days now and not even a sighting of them again, used a long pipete to disperse some mysis inside the cave in hopes they get some food each day. But still no signs.

I fear they may have perished inside my rock work with no way of removal due to shipping shock and in such cold water during travel time.
Any help?

KeepSwimming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty normal for a watchman to hide for a few days or even longer. I would expect the flow to pick up a carcass. My watchman goby seems to venture out more often when there are other fish in the tank to let him know it’s safe.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back