Concerned over blue light and our eye health

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should definitely consider making this for the masses.. i would jump on this if it was for an hydra 32hd with a reefbrite attachment.
Reach out to @chemisfun11. He 3D printed them for me and prints light shades for other light types.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never really thought too far into that one, definitely good ideas on here. Really suggest not looking directly at the blue leds, especially the 5w cree leds. Although it’s not as bad as the off-road led lights you see people running on the road. We’ve got a few of those on one of the other lines at work. Management said the line was too dark so they added blinding leds.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting .
thank you for sharing. .
I now have something else to research

I have read many times about the effects of blue light emitted from our devices reducing the amount of serotonin our bodies produce which in the end we have a harder time falling asleep .

now I’m curious what blue lights from our tanks are doing to our eyes .

thank you

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too was extremely concerned about the potential damage to my kid's eyes. Some of the comments suggested that we're not staring into the bright lights. Maybe those people don't have toddlers. They DO stare I to the lights. To solve this issue, I made an apparatus that is basically a tube shaped lampshade between my kessil and the tank.

Lighting is not ideal but at the end of the day, my kid's health is more important than the corals I will no doubt kill one day.

I am not concerned about the halo of light that come from the tank, only the direct glances at the led itself.

For my ai prime, I got a 3d reefing shade, which-- due to the location and height of my tank-- keeps my kid from looking at the led puck.

I feel strongly enough about this that I would take my tank down if I couldn't find a solution.

Stare into a kessil for a few seconds and ask yourself if a baby should look up into the light.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Make sure you read full thread, not just the OP's experience and run with it.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Make sure you read full thread, not just the OP's experience and run with it.
So the conversation is nope

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the conversation is nope
When I read that thread, I see a lot of reefers who REALLY want there to be no relationship between eye damage and reef tank lights. And a bunch of anecdotal claims.

Let's be real. By all means. Look directly at your led puck for 30 seconds while it's on. Do that and then come back and say that you shouldn't be protecting young kids from staring directly up into leds.

As for the other thread, I see two MDs issuing a warning and a bunch of clowns with degrees from their Google search claiming to know better. Probably the same people who think that taking a vaccine will make your junk fall off.

Colossal eye roll.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I read that thread, I see a lot of reefers who REALLY want there to be no relationship between eye damage and reef tank lights. And a bunch of anecdotal claims.

Let's be real. By all means. Look directly at your led puck for 30 seconds while it's on. Do that and then come back and say that you shouldn't be protecting young kids from staring directly up into leds.

As for the other thread, I see two MDs issuing a warning and a bunch of clowns with degrees from their Google search claiming to know better. Probably the same people who think that taking a vaccine will make your junk fall off.

Colossal eye roll.
Does the covid vaccine really make your junk fall
Off ?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laughter and jokes aside .
let’s be real .
looking directly at the sun can damage your eyes .
stating into any light for any length of time has to do some sort of damage whether it’s short term blurred as our eyes readjust or long term effects that could cause issues 50 years later .
but only we can prevent such things from happening .
If you notice children staring into the lights. .
Correction can be made .
eventually they will also understand the dangers ?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you notice children staring into the lights. .
Correction can be made .
eventually they will also understand the dangers ?
At what age? Kids are fascinated by reef tanks from an extremely young age. My kid is a little older than two and I'm 100% sure I could not teach him not to look into the lights. They just don't have the executive function required to make rational decisions at that age. I'm not sure how old a kid would have to be, but there is no way that my reef tank is more important than my kid. So I have some wacky lampshades that make my lights suboptimal. When he is older it's on him. But as a toddler, it's my responsibility

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Canopy, a cover. I always had a shade of some form. Here I was under the impression my lit up water was going to blind me.

No, don't stare at light bulbs of any kind that isn't defused. Ouch.

Oh right, see if the manufactor sells defusing plates. Could help.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canopy, a cover. I always had a shade of some form. Here I was under the impression my lit up water was going to blind me.

No, don't stare at light bulbs of any kind that isn't defused. Ouch.

Oh right, see if the manufactor sells defusing plates. Could help.
I really like the 3d reefing aftermarket shades for ai lights. I made a diy monstrosity for my kessil. Its not pretty but it does the job!

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of research the conclusively shows that blue light causes damage to your eyes. Even if you don't stair directly at the light. Interestingly, there is also research that shows that eating green leafy vegetables can prevent the damage.

A risk that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...ular-degeneration-and-blindness-2019040816365

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29044670/
200.gif

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back