Concerning White belly and dark spots on blue hippo tang

Crown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’m currently treating my fish in QT with 2.5ppm copper. The blue hippo was acting very sluggish today and I was wondering if something is wrong.

I recently had a small yellow tang die in QT with no known cause so I want to be safe. I have uploaded a video and photo. Thank you in advanced.

8F0066A7-6BDE-4330-8D25-1DB253AA674D.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Crown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tang has hlle and possibly bacterial issue. Will need to be quarantined, provided good water quality and diet
What foods are you feeding?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’m currently treating my fish in QT with 2.5ppm copper. The blue hippo was acting very sluggish today and I was wondering if something is wrong.

I recently had a small yellow tang die in QT with no known cause so I want to be safe. I have uploaded a video and photo. Thank you in advanced.

8F0066A7-6BDE-4330-8D25-1DB253AA674D.jpeg

Were you able to catch the fish up barehanded? That's a really bad sign.

As mentioned, the fish has moderate HLLE, while not fatal, it is confusing to me as that severity is usually seen in long term captive fish, not new additions.

How long has it been in copper at full dose?
Did the YT die during the same quarantine run?
What other fish are in there (I see a clown) any symptoms on those?

Jay

OP
OP
C

Crown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang has hlle and possibly bacterial issue. Will need to be quarantined, provided good water quality and diet
What foods are you feeding?

it is already in QT on day 22 of copper treatment at 2.5ppm. Ammonia badge shows 0. I am feeding nori + mysis shrimp + pellets everyday. How should I deal with the bacterial issue if there’s still a week left of copper to go?

As mentioned, the fish has moderate HLLE, while not fatal, it is confusing to me as that severity is usually seen in long term captive fish, not new additions.

Jay
Yes I was able to catch the fish with my hand just by scooping it up gently. It is currently day 22 in copper 2.5ppm. The YT was the newest addition and died in the same QT run. I’ve had this blue hippo tang for about 90 days now. There’s also 2 clowns, 1 sailfin, and a goby. The only other fish with symptoms is the sailfin which had some finrot, but I have been feeding kanaplex + focus which has helped (it regrew some fin back).

should I continue with copper for the rest of the 30 days? I’m planning to feed some selcon + rods fish food today.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
it is already in QT on day 22 of copper treatment at 2.5ppm. Ammonia badge shows 0. I am feeding nori + mysis shrimp + pellets everyday. How should I deal with the bacterial issue if there’s still a week left of copper to go?

Yes I was able to catch the fish with my hand just by scooping it up gently. It is currently day 22 in copper 2.5ppm. The YT was the newest addition and died in the same QT run. I’ve had this blue hippo tang for about 90 days now. There’s also 2 clowns, 1 sailfin, and a goby. The only other fish with symptoms is the sailfin which had some finrot, but I have been feeding kanaplex + focus which has helped (it regrew some fin back).

should I continue with copper for the rest of the 30 days? I’m planning to feed some selcon + rods fish food today.
Finish out 30 day copper regimen, and then address the bacteria
You can add ruby rally safely with copper for bacteria or wait then go with seachem kanaplex or Maracyn 2
Increase aeration during any treatment
For bacteria, as I don’t trust ammonia badge, I wonder if ammonia and nitrate higher
Do you have a non-api test kit to verify against?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to catch the fish up barehanded? That's a really bad sign.

Jay

i just noticed the sail fin also has some issues with the face area.

C9DAA1CF-07AA-48AB-8C72-9EC0CB3C4F26.jpeg
65C717C7-2DE7-4400-9407-448AE80061B0.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just noticed the sail fin also has some issues with the face area.

C9DAA1CF-07AA-48AB-8C72-9EC0CB3C4F26.jpeg
65C717C7-2DE7-4400-9407-448AE80061B0.jpeg

Yes - that is head and lateral line erosion as well. Its fins are also a bit tattered. Are you using activated carbon in this tank? If not, I wonder if they were exposed before you got them?

Jay

OP
OP
C

Crown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that is head and lateral line erosion as well. Its fins are also a bit tattered. Are you using activated carbon in this tank? If not, I wonder if they were exposed before you got them?

Jay
Main tank is running red sea activated carbon. But the QT that they've been in for 20+ days does not have any carbon.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
C

Crown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was feeding purple/green nori, pellets, and frozen music.

now I’m adding selcon + LRS food

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back