Condy Anemone mouth inflated

k_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought my first Purple Tip Condy a couple days ago and fed for the first time two days ago. It moved off of its rock and stayed in the sand and now the mouth seems to be inflated.

image.jpg image.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure why folks have this need to spot feed nems.
They do much better when left completely alone.
Now when they get totally settled, ok, I tiny bite once a month for the reefers excitement is ok.
This animal can easily stress itself out during a feed especially if new.
Just let him be.
EF99D61D-023E-4F61-9E66-37DA38BB8A32.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feed it. Let it get acclimated to the tank for a couple weeks. Anemone CAN be fed but isn't necessary. While stressed it can actually cause more harm than good. When you do feed make sure it's small, like mysis. How old is the tank? Current parameters? Are they stable?

OP
OP
K

k_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feed it. Let it get acclimated to the tank for a couple weeks. Anemone CAN be fed but isn't necessary. While stressed it can actually cause more harm than good. When you do feed make sure it's small, like mysis. How old is the tank? Current parameters? Are they stable?
Thank you so much! It did get fed mysis when I fed it for the first time but from now on I will make sure to let it get acclimated first. The tank is a year and 7 months old. And the parameters are stable. Calcium is a little lower than usual but nothing harming.

OP
OP
K

k_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure why folks have this need to spot feed nems.
They do much better when left completely alone.
Now when they get totally settled, ok, I tiny bite once a month for the reefers excitement is ok.
This animal can easily stress itself out during a feed especially if new.
Just let him be.
EF99D61D-023E-4F61-9E66-37DA38BB8A32.jpeg
Thank you so much! It got a small piece of mysis so I’m sure that was the issue. I will leave it alone for a month and let it do it’s own thing.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! It did get fed mysis when I fed it for the first time but from now on I will make sure to let it get acclimated first. The tank is a year and 7 months old. And the parameters are stable. Calcium is a little lower than usual but nothing harming.
The ones to worry about with nems are nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity. In the ranges of 10-20, .05 and 8.5 are around the average. The pics don't show much. Was this wild caught? If you don't have cipro on hand and intend on keeping nems I'd order some now. If your nem continues to go down hill then a hospital treatment with cipro can be just what the doctor ordered.

OP
OP
K

k_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones to worry about with nems are nitrate, phosphate and alkalinity. In the ranges of 10-20, .05 and 8.5 are around the average. The pics don't show much. Was this wild caught? If you don't have cipro on hand and intend on keeping nems I'd order some now. If your nem continues to go down hill then a hospital treatment with cipro can be just what the doctor ordered.
Yes all of those are good! They were checked beofore I bought the nem and after it started doing this. And I got it from a local fish store. I will be on vacation for a week so I am worried, but I will definitely order some because I plan on keeping nems in the tank for a while.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes all of those are good! They were checked beofore I bought the nem and after it started doing this. And I got it from a local fish store. I will be on vacation for a week so I am worried, but I will definitely order some because I plan on keeping nems in the tank for a while.
The local stores often get them from even larger stores who get them from the wild. Your nem has been on a wild ride in substandard conditions before it made it to your tank

OP
OP
K

k_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local stores often get them from even larger stores who get them from the wild. Your nem has been on a wild ride in substandard conditions before it made it to your tank
That makes a lot of sense I wish I would’ve left it alone once it got put in my tank so it could get used to the conditions. But you live and you learn. Next time I know.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes a lot of sense I wish I would’ve left it alone once it got put in my tank so it could get used to the conditions. But you live and you learn. Next time I know.
Some mysis isn't a big deal, don't let it discourage you. Plenty of these stories are told but silversides and chunks of shrimp instead. If sticky and you didn't have to force it, then no harm no foul. Better pic of the nem with the mouth showing under white light could help a little. I'll tag in some experts after

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the future with nems always check local reefers first. Better health, usually cheaper and no unknown shipping.

OP
OP
K

k_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some mysis isn't a big deal, don't let it discourage you. Plenty of these stories are told but silversides and chunks of shrimp instead. If sticky and you didn't have to force it, then no harm no foul. Better pic of the nem with the mouth showing under white light could help a little. I'll tag in some experts after
Okay! I didn’t have to force it at all it was sticky and grabbed ahold of it! I tried to get some better pictures but it went further under the rock and my tank light is off. So I tried my best.
F7EA816F-0B57-45FE-90AC-6910CC96C20C.jpeg
74301995-5BB6-4358-A004-43871DCE8DF8.jpeg
9B14794C-4829-49E8-ABC4-F567ED4A55F4.jpeg
D8CFBC16-E447-46AA-B991-9E349FC5448F.jpeg

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything to be alarmed over. Just a new environment so it's hiding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Condy nems are basics nems from the carribean and florida regions and thrive under basic light and flow conditions. The picture show nem hiding and may be due to:
Too much water flow
too much light
High nitrate and/or phosphate

For feeding 2x a week is sufficient and foods like mysis shrimp dropped on tentacles is sufficient. They will then draw that food to iys mouth. Too many target the mouth and stress them

OP
OP
K

k_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Condy nems are basics nems from the carribean and florida regions and thrive under basic light and flow conditions. The picture show nem hiding and may be due to:
Too much water flow
too much light
High nitrate and/or phosphate

For feeding 2x a week is sufficient and foods like mysis shrimp dropped on tentacles is sufficient. They will then draw that food to iys mouth. Too many target the mouth and stress them
Thank you for the advice!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back