Condy

Murphy258

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the hobby. Have a good established tank going. Have some hammer coral, zoes and picked up a small Condy today. Will this be an ok choice in my tank? I am reading mixed reviews. Any info would be great.

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your parameters and how big your tank is. Those coral you have are more durable than the condy is

OP
OP
M

Murphy258

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are all good. I just wasn't sure if the Condy will kill the other corals.

OP
OP
M

Murphy258

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 30 gallon also. Only have two damsels in it as well with live rock and sand the basics. Oh and some crabs and snails

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A condy is probably a good choice, I do not believe they get very large. However, I am not sure how prone to moving they are.

It could very well damage your corals, this is a general risk to anemones in general. Try to keep them apart the best you can. Once you know your corals behaviour, you should be able to tell if they are getting irritated. Assuming, of course, the anemone starts to get close to them.

Even my RBTA have killed off some SPS branches in my system. Fortunately, just small parts and not whole colonies, AND they did not encrust onto the rock, so it was easy to move them an inch away. However, I have had the same (strand) RBTA rub up against corals without issue.

In conclusion, it very likely is hit or miss. Try to keep them away from each other; that is all you can really do.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A condy may be ok, they do stay relatively small, just know they are not considered a host anemone and they do have a stronger sting than most anemone's, this may limit you some as fish will be close in that size tank, there could be mishaps.
Make sure you have plenty of buffer area, don't let touch corals.

OP
OP
M

Murphy258

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I placed it on a rock on the other side of the tank. So hopefully it works out.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for over a year now. It was a little bigger than a golf ball when I bought it and now when it's fully extended it's softball size. It didn't move much except for one time when it moved from one side of the tank to the other side and settled on rock island. It was taking up real estate on those rocks so I had this Tiki head ornament and I put it near the rock he was on to try to coax him onto that so I could move him away from those rocks, it worked! I haven't had any problems with my fish and they swim around it all the time, my Flasher Wrasse shares the same home and will shoot into the eye of the Tiki head when startled. My Cleaner shrimp will even try and take food from it and has gotten stuck to the tentacle but just breaks free. I've read of fish getting eaten by them, but I don't see how if they are in good health they will break free, Cleaner shrimp does it all the time.
thumb_IMG_1010_1024_zpsshjws5fr.jpg

IMG_1055_zpsp5bh65fo.jpg

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the hobby. Have a good established tank going. Have some hammer coral, zoes and picked up a small Condy today. Will this be an ok choice in my tank? I am reading mixed reviews. Any info would be great.

Hey Murphy258,

Welcome to the hobby:)
Good start!
Do you plan to get some more fish?

Zhenya

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine about a month ago. it did move for the first few days until it found a nice home in the rocks. Hasnt moved since. I wish it chose a better spot as it's close to my zoa and goni gardens, but hopefully it will not cause any issues

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back