Confession: I freaking hate my clownfish. Any fish you love to hate?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't get the love for clowns.

I mean, they're adorable, but from everything I've read, I just don't want them in my tank.

I want my tank to be a VW Microbus -- everybody chillin' and lovin' on each other and passing the nori around.
Nom nom pass

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From someone who has kept clowns, and Maroons in particular for a long time, may I offer the following advice. Hopefully a better alternative than the garbage disposal :)

Get a pair of exactly these gloves. Best $20 you will ever spend with bitey clowns

They are heavy enough by themselves to keep Occelaris bites painless and they go up to your shoulder. If you have a really big Occy, or one of the bigger species, wear a long sleeve sweatshirt and a knit winter glove beneath the Aqua Glove. Your hand and elbow should be pain and blood free with any clown...
I use these exact gloves, if i put a bare hand in my tank my female clown attacks, doesnt go near me with these on-doubt would feel it through these. I did try scuba gloves, she attacked above the glove

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My moyeri leopard wrasse. He picks snails off the rocks just to watch them die. Every day there is a hand full to right when I get home from work. He's lucky he is so pretty
I love my Moyeri but he wakes up late and sleeps early. I don't have cuc inverts so no hate for this guy. He does have a bite scar tho... very lucky fish.

JordanS01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My longnose hawk, I’ve been looking for one for a couple of years and I finally found one. He was being bullied by a dottyback but once I removed it he became aggressive to my Bangai to the point it ripped its tail fin off. Had to remove the Bangai and now I can’t add any new fish without the hawk bullying it. Still like him a lot he’s my most active and curious fish.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get the love for clowns.

I mean, they're adorable, but from everything I've read, I just don't want them in my tank.

I want my tank to be a VW Microbus -- everybody chillin' and lovin' on each other and passing the nori around.

Then don't get more than one Tang.

Actually the things in my tank I dislike the most are the cleaner shrimp. I can't feed my eel without them attacking in full force. And they get fed multiple times a day!

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the things in my tank I dislike the most are the cleaner shrimp. I can't feed my eel without them attacking in full force. And they get fed multiple times a day!
i have a love hate relationship with my cleaner shrimp. By that I mean I would love to fry him up with some lemon and butter, because I hate him. Useful little guy though...he gets to live.

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a pair of FP clowns for a decade now. They were never an issue for the first several years (only some aggression towards tank mates but never me). They have made 5 tank moves over the years varying greatly in size 55-90-90-210-45. Now that it’s just the 2 of them in the tank, they bum rush my hand every time I put it in the tank. Haven’t had them draw blood but it sure hurts and scares the crap outa me!

funniest was when I had my lid off and was going to remove my mp10 wet side for cleaning. The big clown blitzed right for my hand at full speed from across the tank, glanced off, and went flying out of the tank landing on the window sill next to my tank. I wasn’t sure if that would be her last hurrah due to her age but I put her back and she’s still kickin and just as mean. My wife says that since I’ve had them so long I “have to keep them,” so they live on and are going into my new 210 gal soon to continue their geriatric death match with my hand ;Mask:eek:

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Survival of the fittest!

And that's no joke! Not much you can do about things that want to kill each other off and you can't catch them.

I have 6 cleaner shrimp (No, I'm not crazy...well...much) One was mine and 5 came with a tank I bought. Personally I think they stink at cleaning, lol

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's no joke! Not much you can do about things that want to kill each other off and you can't catch them.

I have 6 cleaner shrimp (No, I'm not crazy...well...much) One was mine and 5 came with a tank I bought. Personally I think they stink at cleaning, lol
Ever had a sick fish? (And wow!! 6??!)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back