Confession: I freaking hate my clownfish. Any fish you love to hate?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note to self: avoid flurry clownfish...

My Valentini Puffer loves to knock snails and conch on their back. I havn't seem him try and eat them in most cases but its annoying to have to go on re-flip mode several times a week.

Haha, my Valentini does that too. He goes around and flips the snails upside down all the time. He even pushes them all to the corner of the tank.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had lots of love hate relationships with my fish. First, I bought two clowns. They were in separate tanks at my lfs, but the lfs employee assured me that they hadn’t been there for long. So I got them. It turned out however that “not long” is actually a month. I had two females. I loved them both, but it was constant onslaught from the larger one, and I had to put the injured one in an acclimation box to heal. After that, even though I really loved the fact that she was missing a stripe on one side of her body, I hated her for being so mean and she went back to my lfs.
Later, I got a neon dottyback. It was super cute and had bright colors, and I was very happy with it... until it began to eat my urchin :mad:. It would stick its head between the spikes and bite the feet off! I really hated that and I knew that the fish would have to go. AND THEN IT KILLED MY FIREFISH! I hated the dottyback so much. I chased it around the tank with a net for hours and I finally got it in a battle trap. I spared it to get store credit.
P.S.
How about I send you my shrimp? :)
Feel free to send me some! I love fire shrimp!

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
longnose hawkfish for me :)

Still have him 2. I have had him for many years and he is big now. I have had him for so long that I cant part with him but I do hate him sometimes because he is evil. lol. He will attach any new fish I try to put in the tank. Is extremely aggressive. Makes it almost impossible to add new stuff, usually have to put stuff in acclimation box for 3 or 4 days and then its a 50/50.

Scott (Mack) McIntosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate is a strong word but I feel you.

No, I don't have anything like that in my tank. I did have a pair of clowns years ago would would bite to no end. My suggestion is to get a pair of heavy duty shoulder length gloves. I have a set when moving heavy rocks in the tank or some corals. I also have a foxface rabbit fish while it doesn't bother me, ever, sometimes I put them on just in case I startle him/her.

If you don't want to work with heavy duty type gloves a simple pair of powder free nitrile gloves will prevent the breaking of skin. You can also get different colors which may help. Maybe they are into bling, fashion, or like birds of a feather with certain colors meaning STAY AWAY. I bite back.

Gloves are your friend though.
hi i live in montana and don't have any stores that sell long, light weight gloves. Where did you get yours? Thanks

U

User1

View Badges
hi i live in montana and don't have any stores that sell long, light weight gloves. Where did you get yours? Thanks

Amazon. Showa Atlas 772 M Nitrile Elbow Length Chemical Resistant Gloves, 26", Yellow

Not sure if I can paste the link but never the less, here:

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clown fish that bite my hand each time I place a frag in the tank, like small pinches but very sharp. Does not draw blood but very annoying.

JoeJoesonoma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Valentini puffer was really cool at first until i watched him murder all my nasarius snails and nip at my sps..

JoeJoesonoma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Valentini puffer was really cool at first until i watched him murder all my nasarius snails and nip at my sps..

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish bite? That's nothing compared to getting bit by this guy.
IMG-0905.jpg

Dream animal, but can't do anything with my tank such as gluing down coral, fragging, maintenance, etc. with this monster giving PTSD of that one time...
Can't even go on vacation without having someone to feed my eel, or he eats his tankmates.
Whenever he "frags" an acro, and it falls into his den, F THAT. No matter how high quality that frag is, that frag is good as dead. Not worth my hand.
Still love him tho ;Cat.
As you should, bc he is glorious AF. I mean it. When did you get him? From where? Can you keep anything that’s not gigantic with him?

JoeJoesonoma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved my valentini puffer untill it went on a murder rampage on my nasarius snails and developed a taste for my sps

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love but dislike my Picasso percs. It’s totally all my fault though, I haven’t given them an anemone, so they beat the snot out of my torches, which in turn beat the snot out of them. Seriously, the female lost her dorsal fin, and they are both constantly sting covered, and I think they may have killed my gold torch. Ugh...

I also kind of dislike and don’t really love my cave goby. He bullied a pearly jaw fish relentlessly on and off for a year, the tank is a 525.... I can’t get any other gobies or similar shaped fish, all bc of this tiny clear monster.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. Rubriventralis. Beautiful fairy wrasse, but I got a mean spiteful one. He beat up so many wrasses, even ones I figured he wouldn't touch due to being dissimilar. Didn't matter. He even tried to beat up by C. rubrisquamus. Sadly, but thankfully he died of old age.

As for clowns, I just hate them and will never keep them again. There are far prettier damsels out there to keep.

rubriventralis flair.jpg

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate all 4 of my triggers in my reef, especially the Clown trigger. If I hang out to close to the tank they start jonesing for food and start spitting water up at the glass.

When I worked in an LFS we had the porcupine puffers spit at customers when they walked by!

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish bite? That's nothing compared to getting bit by this guy.
IMG-0905.jpg

Dream animal, but can't do anything with my tank such as gluing down coral, fragging, maintenance, etc. with this monster giving PTSD of that one time...
Can't even go on vacation without having someone to feed my eel, or he eats his tankmates.
Whenever he "frags" an acro, and it falls into his den, F THAT. No matter how high quality that frag is, that frag is good as dead. Not worth my hand.
Still love him tho ;Cat.

I had a small speckled eel latch on to the fleshy part of my hand under my pinky; I had to shake him off! Definitely learned my lesson that I can't hand feed those like I would my zebra moray

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you should, bc he is glorious **. I mean it. When did you get him? From where? Can you keep anything that’s not gigantic with him?
I got him from a friend who was a wholesaler and he got 2 of them dirt cheap due to error, so he just gave me one for free. This was about 1.5 years ago.

I have a Blackfin McCosker Wrasse, Polynesica Pencil Wrasse, Splendid Pencil Wrasse, Yellow Tang, African Exquisite Fairy Wrasse, Cleaner Wrasse, Sunset Anthias, Ventralis Anthias, Earmuff Wrasse, Red Dragonet, Ruby Red Scooter, Moyeri Leopard Wrasse, Watanabei Angel, and Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse. All relatively small fish, he ignores them when he is well fed. Pretty lazy eel unless hungry, that's when he goes ULTRA aggro.

The only fish he ate was an Aussie Harli Tusk that was beating on the eel, which was the biggest fish... He also ate a candy basslet, which was the smallest fish...

I learned that you have to introduce territorial fish AFTER the eel and don't get fish that hides in the same den as the eel, cuz fish aren't the brightest animals.

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to love mine, I have to chase him so he thinks Im there to get him. then I go about my bizz. He then reminds me that hes still there:mad:

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him from a friend who was a wholesaler and he got 2 of them dirt cheap due to error, so he just gave me one for free. This was about 1.5 years ago.

I have a Blackfin McCosker Wrasse, Polynesica Pencil Wrasse, Splendid Pencil Wrasse, Yellow Tang, African Exquisite Fairy Wrasse, Cleaner Wrasse, Sunset Anthias, Ventralis Anthias, Earmuff Wrasse, Red Dragonet, Ruby Red Scooter, Moyeri Leopard Wrasse, Watanabei Angel, and Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse. All relatively small fish, he ignores them when he is well fed. Pretty lazy eel unless hungry, that's when he goes ULTRA aggro.

The only fish he ate was an Aussie Harli Tusk that was beating on the eel, which was the biggest fish... He also ate a candy basslet, which was the smallest fish...

I learned that you have to introduce territorial fish AFTER the eel and don't get fish that hides in the same den as the eel, cuz fish aren't the brightest animals.

Where can I get friends like yours? A candy basslet snack is one expensive treat, ha

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back