Confined clownfish?

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the smaller of my two pearl eye Clownfish (male) is swimming around in a near vertical position. Doesn’t seem to be laboring for air, just very lethargic in an up right position. There is a bit of a white clouding to the coloring on his tail section and his tail fin. Not sure if he’s going to make it theough the night and have no idea what to do. Thoughts?

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a breading box or something to isolate him from the main current?

OP
OP
Marine Reefer

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I have the the brute trash can I mix my salt water in. I have put him in that with the heater and an air bubbler. That’s all I got right now.

OP
OP
Marine Reefer

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some saltwater ickX that treats marine velvet just in case. But I fear he’s not going to make it through the next hour.

this little guy has been in my tank for about three weeks and has been doing great until about 6PM this evening when I noticed him acting weird and then he just started doing really weird stuff like the vertical swinging and hiding in caves.

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe cradle him with a net.
Or, an old hob filter fitted backwards and holes drilled (sand/file any burs) in it would make a nice hospital bed.

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might help to add o2. Something almost any patient in distress needs.

Hydrogen Peroxide: As a (very) last resort you can add oxygen to the aquarium by dosing Hydrogen- Peroxide, which most people have in their first-aid cabinets. When Hydrogen-Peroxide (H2O2) mixes with water (H2O) it releases its extra oxygen molecule. The net result is added oxygen in the water. AS A GENERAL RULE: Adding 1 teaspoon (5ml) of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for every 10 gallons of actual water in your tank, (tank capacity less decorations, equipment, gravel, etc.) will produce oxygen for an appropriately stocked tank for about 12 hours. This should be done by adding the H2O2 to a gallon or so of water scooped out of the tank, mixing same and then pouring the mixture into the tank from 6” or so above the tank. NOTE: THIS SHOULD ONLY BE DONE AS A LAST RESORT TO SAVE THE LIFE OF YOUR FISH. IT CARRIES WITH IT ITS OWN SET OF RISKS AND OVER-DOSING CAN BE TOXIC. THE EXACT DOSAGE TO BE USEFUL DEPENDS ON YOUR EXACT TANK, ITS VOLUME, HOW MANY FISH YOU HAVE, THEIR SIZE, ETC., ETC. MAKE SURE THE H2O2 IS 3% SOLUTION. IF IT’S 6%, USE HALF AS MUCH. 9%, ONE THIRD AS MUCH, ETC. BETTER TO START WITH A LESSOR DOSE AND OBSERVE THE FISH FOR SIGNS OF DISTRESS, BEFORE USING A FULL DOSE. (DISCLAIMER: WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY NEGATIVE AFFECTS THAT THE ABOVE REGIMEN MAY CAUSE.)

OP
OP
Marine Reefer

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might help to add o2. Something almost any patient in distress needs.

Hydrogen Peroxide: As a (very) last resort you can add oxygen to the aquarium by dosing Hydrogen- Peroxide, which most people have in their first-aid cabinets. When Hydrogen-Peroxide (H2O2) mixes with water (H2O) it releases its extra oxygen molecule. The net result is added oxygen in the water. AS A GENERAL RULE: Adding 1 teaspoon (5ml) of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for every 10 gallons of actual water in your tank, (tank capacity less decorations, equipment, gravel, etc.) will produce oxygen for an appropriately stocked tank for about 12 hours. This should be done by adding the H2O2 to a gallon or so of water scooped out of the tank, mixing same and then pouring the mixture into the tank from 6” or so above the tank. NOTE: THIS SHOULD ONLY BE DONE AS A LAST RESORT TO SAVE THE LIFE OF YOUR FISH. IT CARRIES WITH IT ITS OWN SET OF RISKS AND OVER-DOSING CAN BE TOXIC. THE EXACT DOSAGE TO BE USEFUL DEPENDS ON YOUR EXACT TANK, ITS VOLUME, HOW MANY FISH YOU HAVE, THEIR SIZE, ETC., ETC. MAKE SURE THE H2O2 IS 3% SOLUTION. IF IT’S 6%, USE HALF AS MUCH. 9%, ONE THIRD AS MUCH, ETC. BETTER TO START WITH A LESSOR DOSE AND OBSERVE THE FISH FOR SIGNS OF DISTRESS, BEFORE USING A FULL DOSE. (DISCLAIMER: WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY NEGATIVE AFFECTS THAT THE ABOVE REGIMEN MAY CAUSE.)
This may be me being nieve, but wouldn’t a bubbler (way oversized) do the same thing with out risking the toxic part?

I have relocated the fish into a tub with about 5 gallons of water in it, with a heater and a massive bubbler. With a bit of treatment added in. The peroxide is a though I suppose.

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubbler is probably fine. HP I think will make a blast of o2 like a gas mask. Dosing HP is a common practice but risky.

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing. You may want to consider a qt to house him until he’s well (if he survives the night). He can’t stay in the mixing bin and I doubt you want him in your tank until he’s better. Good luck.

OP
OP
Marine Reefer

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on a QT it’s just not all set up and still kinda piecing it together. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Marine Reefer

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly he didn’t make it last night. I was able to get a picture of him to show for help diagnose what it what happen but from the signs he was showing, the timeline, and some research I think it may have been Brook.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back