Confining cheato algae in a bag

Thomas Weber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put some macro algae in the refugium of my 75 gal and I’m wondering how I should keep it in the refugium and not go up the return pump. I thought maybe I could put the algae in a ziploc bag with some holes in it. Does anyone know if a ziploc bag will leach chemicals? If so, what else should I use to keep the algae in one place?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put the macro algae in a bag myself. I can't imagine that even with strong flow through the fuge, you would get enough to the macro. Also, I would think it would obstruct growth. Do you have a baffle between you fuge and return section? If so, you could add a course filter to the baffle to catch any macro that tries to flow to the return. That's how my fuge is set up and it works pretty well.

OP
OP
Thomas Weber

Thomas Weber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put the macro algae in a bag myself. I can't imagine that even with strong flow through the fuge, you would get enough to the macro. Also, I would think it would obstruct growth. Do you have a baffle between you fuge and return section? If so, you could add a course filter to the baffle to catch any macro that tries to flow to the return. That's how my fuge is set up and it works pretty well.
I do have a bubble trap that I could fit something in. Thank you for the idea.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back