Confirm if display tank is parasite free.

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just about done with the qt process and soon will be ready to put these fish in the display tank. But, before i do this. I would like to confirm if my dt is parasite/disease free. Is there a process for getting this done?

Thanks everybody

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People add black mollies that aren't yet accustomed to saltwater to test it out

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a new tank? How long has it been set up with no fish in it? Or are there currently fish in it?

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a new tank? How long has it been set up with no fish in it? Or are there currently fish in it?
this is not a new tank.It been running for about 1 yr. the tank has been fallow since aug 2021. only snails and crabs in dt now.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is not a new tank.It been running for about 1 yr. the tank has been fallow since aug 2021. only snails and crabs in dt now.

Since the beginning of August?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank has been fallow for that long then I believe the only disease/parasite that could survive is uronema. As far as testing the water for parasites, I'm not sure there's any way other than putting in a fish.

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never heard of this, what does that do?
They don't have the necessary protection to fight off saltwater disease so they attract them more easily. They are easy to catch and since they are all black you can see things like ich with ease

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think only common way to confirm is to monitor behavior of your livestock and keep tracking history of fish/tank. I think professionals scrape fish and inspect the sample under microscope.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank has been fallow for that long then I believe the only disease/parasite that could survive is uronema. As far as testing the water for parasites, I'm not sure there's any way other than putting in a fish.

This sounds right.

Is there a specific pest you know was there that you are trying to avoid with the fallow period?

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need to be sure that im not putting something in the dt that can potentially have parasites. i would rather not put any fish in the dt that hasn't been though the qt process.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need to be sure that im not putting something in the dt that can potentially have parasites. i would rather not put any fish in the dt that hasn't been though the qt process.
Sounds like you already know that acclimating a freshwater molly to saltwater and seeing what happens is the best way aside from aquabiomics.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 days at 82 degrees or do a full 76 days. Fairly reliable.

Aquabiomics is another option.

Molly is no guarantee and if it does show something, you start the fallow over so I don't particularly care for this.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If tank has been fishless since inception and has been running at least 30 days- likely clear. At times without a host, and presence of parasite, you may see nothing until the teremont stage is begun.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had Ick I ran my tank fallow for 76 days. It was long and worth it! My fish are fat and healthy!

OP
OP
M

Medmondsii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds right.

Is there a specific pest you know was there that you are trying to avoid with the fallow period?
I seen my powder blue tang swimming in front of a power head a couple times plus seen some white dot on him. So I put all my fish in qt

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back