conflicted on how to deal with cynobacteria

flobup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This new tank I set up is only about 3 months old, everything was going great and then I slightly neglected it for about 3 weeks due to life. my carbon/phosphate reactor got a crack in it and I missed a water change. now I have a pretty heavy cyno outbreak that is affecting my corals.

Ive been trying to suck out as much as I can but it keeps coming back, should I just wait it out or use this chemiclean product I have?

Mike Porreca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This new tank I set up is only about 3 months old, everything was going great and then I slightly neglected it for about 3 weeks due to life. my carbon/phosphate reactor got a crack in it and I missed a water change. now I have a pretty heavy cyno outbreak that is affecting my corals.

Ive been trying to suck out as much as I can but it keeps coming back, should I just wait it out or use this chemiclean product I have?
I would use the chemi clean as a last resort. Up the flow, manually remove as much as possible and see how it works out

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had wicked cyan problems in my 40 when I was still learning. Like entire tank covered no exaduration. I got rid of it after removing the nutrients from my water and adding a powerhead first. (Back then I didn’t know a powerhead was a nessesity). After this I did a few blackouts in order to kill it off. I also manually removed as much as possible.

OP
OP
F

flobup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I reduce my lighting schedule? I currently have 2 kessil 160w on an 8 hour ramp up/down cycle with 60 percent being the peak.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the chemi clean as a last resort. Up the flow, manually remove as much as possible and see how it works out
ChemiClean kills both good and bad bacteria. It's like starting over which will stress the system.

IMO get some Dr Tim's Waste Away and then start daily dosing 80proof vodka as a carbon source to super fuel beneficial bacteria

I've been vodka dosing for 3 yrs. Corals never looked better. I've had corals REAPPEAR out of nowhere once good beneficial bacteria took hold.

I did stop vodka dosing for 2 weeks one time and the tank quickly turned ugly. Never again. I'm a lifelong vodka doser.

Randy Holmes Farley is always saying he prefers the DIY NOPOX solution which is:

500 mls vinegar (5%),
375 mls vodka (80 proof),
125 mls RO/DI water.

Once this mixture is made....dose (I believe) 10ml daily per 100g of total water volume

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flobup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChemiClean kills both good and bad bacteria. It's like starting over which will stress the system.

IMO get some Dr Tim's Waste Away and then start daily dosing 80proof vodka as a carbon source to super fuel beneficial bacteria

I've been vodka dosing for 3 yrs. Corals never looked better. I've had corals REAPPEAR out of nowhere once good beneficial bacteria took hold.

I did stop vodka dosing for 2 weeks one time and the tank quickly turned ugly. Never again. I'm a lifelong vodka doser.

Randy Holmes Farley is always saying he prefers the DIY NOPOX solution which is:

500 mls vinegar (5%),
375 mls vodka (80 proof),
125 mls RO/DI water.

Once this mixture is made....dose (I believe) 10ml daily per 100g of total water volume
ok, ill give this shot

Steve9333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just use the chemiClean. You’ll end up using it eventually. I have never gotten rid of it by limiting nutrients and and sucking it all up. When you want the skimmer to calm down from chemiclean cut back the air flow:)

OP
OP
F

flobup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use the chemiClean. You’ll end up using it eventually. I have never gotten rid of it by limiting nutrients and and sucking it all up. When you want the skimmer to calm down from chemiclean cut back the air flow:)
did you use an airstone as the bottle says too?

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, lots of advice here for a quick solution but your tank is a couple months old and we have no idea what else is going on. Be careful taking “quick fix” advice.

I’d look into your nutrient load, lighting and RO water as culprits before resorting to chemical/ bactericidal solutions. Lighting schedule seems high but again not enough about water quality to justify chemiclean.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suck as much out as possible as often as possible, do a couple of big water changes, skim really wet, add extra GAC and change it a lot. If that doesn't help... Chemiclean works.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kill the lights until it dies off then resume with lights on at 1/2 the duration. increase duration if cyano doesn't come back, decrease if it does come back.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back