Confused…ICH?

Adrian Em

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve noticed my yellow wrasse occasionally rubbing himself against the rockwork. Did not see anything the appeared to be ich. He does have some lighter marks on the side, but it looks more like a pigmentation variance and not a parasite.

Splendid pintail wrasse has two very small white dots, but is not rubbing his body on the rock. Could ich have been in this tank for over two weeks now and is just now showing up, or would I have noticed something sooner. I’m praying it not ich. Really don’t want to deal with this.

All of the other fish are fine. No spots, no rubbing. Please take a look at the pictures below and let me know what you think.

8098D9AD-D928-4AED-9766-85254B2B116E.jpeg 8145F9C5-1CDA-4B16-B6B0-1BA757603608.jpeg 725AF3CA-2574-4C1E-979A-4E84A7F118EF.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The couple of dots I see on tail and dorsal appear to be Lymphocystis. As for the scratching, not unusual for wrasses to display this behavior HOWEVER if the scratching/itching is constant, it may suggest irritant such as flukes or cryptocaryn.
Assure GOOD water quality and diet which always maintains immunity system and contributes to health.

What is ager of tank?
What test kit(s) are you using?
What foods are you feeding ?

OP
OP
Adrian Em

Adrian Em

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The couple of dots I see on tail and dorsal appear to be Lymphocystis. As for the scratching, not unusual for wrasses to display this behavior HOWEVER if the scratching/itching is constant, it may suggest irritant such as flukes or cryptocaryn.
Assure GOOD water quality and diet which always maintains immunity system and contributes to health.

What is ager of tank?
What test kit(s) are you using?
What foods are you feeding ?
Thanks for your help!

The tank is new. Been running with fish since 1 April.

Using API test kits. Nitrates and ammonia not detectable. Phosphates looked around 0.25. Just did a 15% water change today and noticed spots after. He had damaged fin from aggressive Midas Blenny which I removed and returned to LFS. Spot is near re-growing area.

Feeding spirulina mysis shrimp and/or new life spectrum pellets. Not really sure how much to feed. Been doing approx 1/2 cube once per day or one pinch pellets once per day. 7 fish total.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 95FC9013-3BF0-457F-96C5-D62DC3B44BEF.jpeg
    95FC9013-3BF0-457F-96C5-D62DC3B44BEF.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 30

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not ideal fish for a new(er) tank but can be managed. I asked about test kits and foods as suspected a couple of things:
For diet- Add:
spirulina brine shrimp
hikari marine cuisine
LRS fish frenzy
small plankton

On test kits, zero readings are likely from API being notorious for false readings and often lower than shown. I urge you on this matter to take a good water sample to a TRUSTED LFS that does Not use API test kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On test kits, zero readings are likely from API being notorious for false readings and often lower than shown. I urge you on this matter to take a good water sample to a TRUSTED LFS that does Not use API test kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours
Sorry VG, I'm going to disagree. There is no evidence that apI tests are any more or less accurate than any others. if done correctly. My comment would be when I used Hanna - I got results all over the place, etc. The fish looks sick. and the cause IMHO - has nothing to do with 'parameters'. I also do not feed multiple foods - but mainly LRS - and I don't think food os the 'problem'. It could be - how the fish was acclimated, caught, or another disease - It does not loo healthy. FWIW - I agree that the proper diet is important. To me it could be a fluke issue - or a subclinical ICH/velvet issue - or something else. IMHO - its definitely not related to the test kits.

OP
OP
Adrian Em

Adrian Em

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ideal fish for a new(er) tank but can be managed. I asked about test kits and foods as suspected a couple of things:
For diet- Add:
spirulina brine shrimp
hikari marine cuisine
LRS fish frenzy
small plankton

Ok. Will do. Thanks for the tips. I’m definitely going to go with whatever the LFS has in stock from your list. What do you think about the amount I’ve been feeding? I think it’s appropriate or maybe even on the high side. I’m trying to do my best not to overfeed, but at the same time, I want the fish to get the proper nutrition.

OP
OP
Adrian Em

Adrian Em

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry VG, I'm going to disagree. There is no evidence that apI tests are any more or less accurate than any others. if done correctly. My comment would be when I used Hanna - I got results all over the place, etc. The fish looks sick. and the cause IMHO - has nothing to do with 'parameters'. I also do not feed multiple foods - but mainly LRS - and I don't think food os the 'problem'. It could be - how the fish was acclimated, caught, or another disease - It does not loo healthy. FWIW - I agree that the proper diet is important. To me it could be a fluke issue - or a subclinical ICH/velvet issue - or something else. IMHO - its definitely not related to the test kits.
Hi. I’ve also noticed that the wrasses regurgitate their food quite often when I feed pellets. Is this normal behavior?

OP
OP
Adrian Em

Adrian Em

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems to be fine in general. Very active, feeds well, except pellet food regurgitation. Most active member of the tank. I’m not sure if he’s succumbing to being in a new tank. LFS said wrasses were hardy and ok for a beginner. He wasn’t a cheap fish either, so I hope to have him for many years.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Regurgitating food can relate to multiple things - an underlying illness - pellets too big or small. I would suggest going to a frozen type food. To me - and I'm not a fish veterinarian - yours does not loo healthy - though it sounds healthy - according to your reports. @Jay Hemdal

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
never said due to parameters but rather have to them verified. New tank with NO ammonia and nitrate- very odd although not impossible. Ive had Over 100 people reply to me finding their tests were Way off when they had it rechecked. .
I simply want OP to verify

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi. I’ve also noticed that the wrasses regurgitate their food quite often when I feed pellets. Is this normal behavior?
Reason I suggested foods above. Pellets Not ideal . Softer foods work well
You can also try soaking pellets before feeding them

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok. Will do. Thanks for the tips. I’m definitely going to go with whatever the LFS has in stock from your list. What do you think about the amount I’ve been feeding? I think it’s appropriate or maybe even on the high side. I’m trying to do my best not to overfeed, but at the same time, I want the fish to get the proper nutrition.
The amount fed seems adequate. I tend to spoon feed as I place food(s) in a small solo condiment cup and feed small amounts. Although I have No leftovers, if any, you can place food in Fridge. Easier to add food, than to remove it :D

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve noticed my yellow wrasse occasionally rubbing himself against the rockwork. Did not see anything the appeared to be ich. He does have some lighter marks on the side, but it looks more like a pigmentation variance and not a parasite.

Splendid pintail wrasse has two very small white dots, but is not rubbing his body on the rock. Could ich have been in this tank for over two weeks now and is just now showing up, or would I have noticed something sooner. I’m praying it not ich. Really don’t want to deal with this.

All of the other fish are fine. No spots, no rubbing. Please take a look at the pictures below and let me know what you think.

8098D9AD-D928-4AED-9766-85254B2B116E.jpeg 8145F9C5-1CDA-4B16-B6B0-1BA757603608.jpeg 725AF3CA-2574-4C1E-979A-4E84A7F118EF.jpeg
Ich is tough to identify when it first starts up - just a few white spots and they come and go. In time, the spots become more numerous and the disease progresses. Other issues (some not worrisome) will also cause a few white spots.

I can't tell from the photos if anything is going on with these fish or not. The two spots on the pintail could be ich.

I would add in some good frozen foods as suggested and then just monitor things for now. Watch for rapid breathing, white spots, scratching or lack of appeitite.

Jay

OP
OP
Adrian Em

Adrian Em

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is tough to identify when it first starts up - just a few white spots and they come and go. In time, the spots become more numerous and the disease progresses. Other issues (some not worrisome) will also cause a few white spots.

I can't tell from the photos if anything is going on with these fish or not. The two spots on the pintail could be ich.

I would add in some good frozen foods as suggested and then just monitor things for now. Watch for rapid breathing, white spots, scratching or lack of appeitite.

Jay
Thanks Jay

Back