Confused about how to set up a QT tank for new fish without rock or sand...

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While my tank is fallow for the next month and a half, I think it would be a good idea for me to QT the next inhabitants well before introduction into the main DT after the fallow period ends to avoid another catastrophe. I've read that a QT tank should not have rock or sand since it will be treated with copper which leaves me wondering how the nitrogen cycle is tanking place especially since you can't mix copper with Prime. Am I going to have to perform daily water changes to keep the ammonia at a non-lethal level or how exactly does this work??

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While my tank is fallow for the next month and a half, I think it would be a good idea for me to QT the next inhabitants well before introduction into the main DT after the fallow period ends to avoid another catastrophe. I've read that a QT tank should not have rock or sand since it will be treated with copper which leaves me wondering how the nitrogen cycle is tanking place especially since you can't mix copper with Prime. Am I going to have to perform daily water changes to keep the ammonia at a non-lethal level or how exactly does this work??
There are a few ways to do this.

Biomedia that gets trashed afterwards. Just use it to cycle the tank and do the QT.

Sponges to allow for bacteria to grow (I use this method and always keep some in my DT sumps, so they are always at the ready) This is also a cheap option. Iput them in HOB filters and use a sponge bubble filter for extra aeration. That sponge can be rinsed after each QT and is only to help filter the tank and give a secondary home for bacteria.

Daily water changes with mixed water already dosed at whatever levels of medicine you are keeping the QT at.

If QT'ing wrasses, I just buy some dry sand and use it then trash it afterwards.

I am sure @Jay Hemdal can also add this this for things he has done in the past.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few ways to do this.

Biomedia that gets trashed afterwards. Just use it to cycle the tank and do the QT.

Sponges to allow for bacteria to grow (I use this method and always keep some in my DT sumps, so they are always at the ready) This is also a cheap option. Iput them in HOB filters and use a sponge bubble filter for extra aeration. That sponge can be rinsed after each QT and is only to help filter the tank and give a secondary home for bacteria.

Daily water changes with mixed water already dosed at whatever levels of medicine you are keeping the QT at.

If QT'ing wrasses, I just buy some dry sand and use it then trash it afterwards.

I am sure @Jay Hemdal can also add this this for things he has done in the past.
Thanks, I saw that Jay made a recent post addressing QT but I can't seem to find it now....the issue I'm facing primarily comes from the fact that my tank is fallow right now due to a nasty velvet infection so I can't transfer any media without infecting the QT tank

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken, although some of the nitrifying bacteria are in the water, the vast majority need a surface such as rocks to live on so I'm not sure how to cycle a tank without any rock in the tank....unless maybe PVC or other plastic surfaces that would be for the fish to hide in are also able to host a sizable population of bacteria

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I saw that Jay made a recent post addressing QT but I can't seem to find it now....the issue I'm facing primarily comes from the fact that my tank is fallow right now due to a nasty velvet infection so I can't transfer any media without infecting the QT tank
I would suggest getting some bacteira in a bottle. I like fritz turbo-start or biospria, as they are both readily available local to me.

Then setup a QT with some form of media. No carbon or anything like that, just some. sponges or other bio media. Then add a piece of shrimp to the tank. Let it begin to decompose until you see ammonia on a test kit. Do not let ammonia get to high, then add the bottled bac. When ammonia goes to 0, ghost feed a little to keep the bacteria fed and you will have QT ready for when you get fish.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken, although some of the nitrifying bacteria are in the water, the vast majority need a surface such as rocks to live on so I'm not sure how to cycle a tank without any rock in the tank....unless maybe PVC or other plastic surfaces that would be for the fish to hide in are also able to host a sizable population of bacteria
sponges are the same as rocks, in terms of surface area, so to speak. The surface area of the sponges allows for bacteria to "hold on" and reproduce. Same goes for ceramic bio media. They bothe act like rock. The sponges just do not. hold onto copper. (Iam talking about synthetic filter sponges. Like what comes in bricks for Aquaclear HOB filter).

The pipe does provide some. surface area, but is not great for harboring bacteria. If it has algae growing on it, then it can act as an ammonia consumption tool, as most algae would rather get its nitrogen source from ammonia.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sponges are the same as rocks, in terms of surface area, so to speak. The surface area of the sponges allows for bacteria to "hold on" and reproduce. Same goes for ceramic bio media. They bothe act like rock. The sponges just do not. hold onto copper. (Iam talking about synthetic filter sponges. Like what comes in bricks for Aquaclear HOB filter).

The pipe does provide some. surface area, but is not great for harboring bacteria. If it has algae growing on it, then it can act as an ammonia consumption tool, as most algae would rather get its nitrogen source from ammonia.
Ok that sounds like a pretty good idea...so would filter floss work to harbor the bacteria well enough? I don't have easy access to a lot of these products due to where I am but I can order bio-spira bacteria from Amazon for not too expensive I believe. My only question is how much of the filter floss would I need for say a 20 gallon tank or is that usually not a major concern after the ammonia reaches 0 before adding the fish?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use sponges and HOB filters as the places where your good bacteria live. They are just as porous as rocks and hold bacteria. I have found that it takes a little to cycle though bc of the less surface area. You can always do frequent waterchanges if you need a QT in an emergency but as a rule I would cycle the QT so you aren't having to do crazy water changes everyday.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that sounds like a pretty good idea...so would filter floss work to harbor the bacteria well enough? I don't have easy access to a lot of these products due to where I am but I can order bio-spira bacteria from Amazon for not too expensive I believe. My only question is how much of the filter floss would I need for say a 20 gallon tank or is that usually not a major concern after the ammonia reaches 0 before adding the fish?
Filter floss would work, but would get clogged up quickly. If you can get BioSpira, I would think you could get a sponge filter block, as well. Something like this. I know this is USA only shipping website, but should help you with your search.

YOu cut these to fit a HOB filter and can even just place them. in the tank

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or like a Tidal filter theyre good for saltwater and would be great for a QT. Theres also cheaper options more made for freshwater if that's your thing as well. Tidal have space in the back chamber for carbon and more media to help cycle.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or like a Tidal filter theyre good for saltwater and would be great for a QT. Theres also cheaper options more made for freshwater if that's your thing as well. Tidal have space in the back chamber for carbon and more media to help cycle.

Just remember, no carbon during QT. It will absorb the medication.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a really good QT video by ReefBuilders that addressed this - he uses the 2x2 MarinePure bio blocks in the QT to host bacteria. This in theory sounds like a great option to me, other than the fact that they aren't the cheapest... I think a block of any kind of ceramic biomedia would probably accomplish the same thing, replacing the rock.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss would work, but would get clogged up quickly. If you can get BioSpira, I would think you could get a sponge filter block, as well. Something like this. I know this is USA only shipping website, but should help you with your search.

YOu cut these to fit a HOB filter and can even just place them. in the tank

I'm pretty sure I can get those here for pretty cheap so that sounds like a plan to me...I'll just get a cheap HOB filter and put em in there along with along the bottom of the tank!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a really good QT video by ReefBuilders that addressed this - he uses the 2x2 MarinePure bio blocks in the QT to host bacteria. This in theory sounds like a great option to me, other than the fact that they aren't the cheapest... I think a block of any kind of ceramic biomedia would probably accomplish the same thing, replacing the rock.
I'll check it out but yeah, I'm trying to save a little money atm

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like the idea of extra space in the back!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back