Confused about how to set up a QT tank for new fish without rock or sand...

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of extra space in the back!
That is the filter I use on my Quarantine and I like it. It has a little surface skimmer on it as well. But there are definitely cheaper options but this is one that you can continue to use everytime you need to set up a quarantine. You can also just keep buying sponge filters for cheap and use them or get a sponge filter that you can buy new sponges for over and over. I have both but use the TIDAL filter and save the sponge filters for emergency.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the filter I use on my Quarantine and I like it. It has a little surface skimmer on it as well. But there are definitely cheaper options but this is one that you can continue to use everytime you need to set up a quarantine. You can also just keep buying sponge filters for cheap and use them or get a sponge filter that you can buy new sponges for over and over. I have both but use the TIDAL filter and save the sponge filters for emergency.
I'll keep that in mind...I actually took a look at the Tidal filter and it was a little on the pricey side for a HOB is the only thing

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm literally breaking down this quarantine as I am typing this. Simple and easy.
20220111_154524.jpg

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep that in mind...I actually took a look at the Tidal filter and it was a little on the pricey side for a HOB is the only thing
They are pricey. You can buy a cheaper one. These are just made by Seachem and Sicce together so they are good quality. Look for a cheaper one with a chamber in the back instead of those like filter pad things. So you can put all the media you want in them instead of what media the company wants you to use. So if you can find something cheaper with space in it that is what I recommend. You just need space.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm literally breaking down this quarantine as I am typing this. Simple and easy.
20220111_154524.jpg
Cool...looks pretty simple...how much room do the fish need to keep stress minimal? I plan on introducing two very small butterflies to my DT and was hoping it would be ok to QT them together...what size tank would be adequate to DT them in? I know usually one fish at a time but they're a couple hard to find fish around here, especially so small.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check it out but yeah, I'm trying to save a little money atm
Don't blame ya! I bought the MarinePure 1.5" bio balls off Amazon for my new DT filtration (don't have room for the blocks). You get more bang for your buck with those (same price for quite a few vs only 4 of the cubes). I'm currently trying to decide how to start up a small QT as well and plan on using a few of the bio balls from my main tank after it's done cycling and has established some bacteria. Then dose the QT with Fritz TurboStart or BioSpira, etc.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pricey. You can buy a cheaper one. These are just made by Seachem and Sicce together so they are good quality. Look for a cheaper one with a chamber in the back instead of those like filter pad things. So you can put all the media you want in them instead of what media the company wants you to use. So if you can find something cheaper with space in it that is what I recommend. You just need space.
My fiance will kill me if I set up a QT and the filter is noisy (insert eye roll here). Any thoughts on an internal filter for a 10 gal QT? I'd swap any stock filter media with a seeded sponge and bio balls from my DT once it's done cycling, plus Fritz TurboStart or BioSpira... just haven't used an internal filter before, but I would imagine it's more quiet than the usual HOB. I found a couple not too pricey on Amazon that look like they have some room to stuff some extra media in.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fiance will kill me if I set up a QT and the filter is noisy (insert eye roll here). Any thoughts on an internal filter for a 10 gal QT? I'd swap any stock filter media with a seeded sponge and bio balls from my DT once it's done cycling, plus Fritz TurboStart or BioSpira... just haven't used an internal filter before, but I would imagine it's more quiet than the usual HOB. I found a couple not too pricey on Amazon that look like they have some room to stuff some extra media in.
With HOB filters, water level in the tank is how you get it quiet. DO not let water level get below the spillway.

I have a 40b that has an old double biowheel HOB (minus the biowheels) and a Aquaclear 50 on it. It is dead silent with the water just a hair above the spillways. Also makes nice ripples across the surface to allow for proper gas exchange.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With HOB filters, water level in the tank is how you get it quiet. DO not let water level get below the spillway.

I have a 40b that has an old double biowheel HOB (minus the biowheels) and a Aquaclear 50 on it. It is dead silent with the water just a hair above the spillways. Also makes nice ripples across the surface to allow for proper gas exchange.

I personally like the sound of the waterfall but you're very correct when the water line is at the spillway you can't hear anything. Dead silent.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Makes sense - I ran a Marineland biowheel HOB in my 40 gal freshwater tank and I'll admit, it was pretty quiet when full but I'd get lazy sometimes and slack on topping off evap, so it'd get slightly annoying. Guessing if I opted for an in tank filter instead of HOB, I'd have to add a small powerhead or air stones to agitate the surface, so might as well go with a HOB and not be lazy. I usually go for stronger filtration than needed for tank size, but for a 10 gal QT, would a HOB rated for 10-20 gal be sufficient?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense - I ran a Marineland biowheel HOB in my 40 gal freshwater tank and I'll admit, it was pretty quiet when full but I'd get lazy sometimes and slack on topping off evap, so it'd get slightly annoying. Guessing if I opted for an in tank filter instead of HOB, I'd have to add a small powerhead or air stones to agitate the surface, so might as well go with a HOB and not be lazy. I usually go for stronger filtration than needed for tank size, but for a 10 gal QT, would a HOB rated for 10-20 gal be sufficient?
For 10g I would do something rated for 20-30g. More turnover the better especially since it could be for sick animals.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 10g I would do something rated for 20-30g. More turnover the better especially since it could be for sick animals.
I have a new Fluval C2 HOB rated up to 30 gal. Was planning on using it for a cichlid tank originally but I think I'll just grab a 10 gal tank from Petsmart for my QT and use the Fluval filter. :) I was debating on using a 5 gal tank I have for QT but I'll probably just save that for something else (next time my kid wants a betta maybe, lol).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I saw that Jay made a recent post addressing QT but I can't seem to find it now....the issue I'm facing primarily comes from the fact that my tank is fallow right now due to a nasty velvet infection so I can't transfer any media without infecting the QT tank
We keep our current quarantine protocol in the first post on this thread:

Jay

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Fluval C2 HOB rated up to 30 gal. Was planning on using it for a cichlid tank originally but I think I'll just grab a 10 gal tank from Petsmart for my QT and use the Fluval filter. :) I was debating on using a 5 gal tank I have for QT but I'll probably just save that for something else (next time my kid wants a betta maybe, lol).
The more water you can afford in a QT the better. It allows for more time to catch ammonia or an error, but it also takes more medication to treat the tank. It also takes more water to do a big WC, so kind of a catch 22.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more water you can afford in a QT the better. It allows for more time to catch ammonia or an error, but it also takes more medication to treat the tank. It also takes more water to do a big WC, so kind of a catch 22.
Agreed. Really only have room for a 10 gal currently, so I think I'll start there. Thinking about setting it up in our bedroom (less commotion/less stress on new fish). First time setting up a QT for saltwater (always had a 10 gal QT running for freshwater). Planning on slowly adding small fish with this tank.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Really only have room for a 10 gal currently, so I think I'll start there. Thinking about setting it up in our bedroom (less commotion/less stress on new fish). First time setting up a QT for saltwater (always had a 10 gal QT running for freshwater). Planning on slowly adding small fish with this tank.
That should work. Also, to reduce stress, I use just enough light to see the fish, but not super bright. Most the time, it is just a 60w light bulb about a foot above the tank. makes taking pics easy, if I need help with an ID or issue, but not enough to blind the fish throughout the day.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work. Also, to reduce stress, I use just enough light to see the fish, but not super bright. Most the time, it is just a 60w light bulb about a foot above the tank. makes taking pics easy, if I need help with an ID or issue, but not enough to blind the fish throughout the day.
Perfect, good to know on the lighting as well. Would there ever be a need for better lighting if ever quarantining corals? I see some people do, and some just dip them and plop them in the DT.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, good to know on the lighting as well. Would there ever be a need for better lighting if ever quarantining corals? I see some people do, and some just dip them and plop them in the DT.
I QT all corals that are going to go into my systems. I set those QT tanks up to match my parameters perfectly and try to run close to the same light schedule and par that I plan to put them in. I do use a shallow tank for QT of corals, but with a single light in the center, I can place zoas on the edges, LPS a little closer to the center and SPS in the center.

If I was to use a normal tank, I would just use frag racks with bio media under the racks and place the coral accordingly.

I have also QTd corals with a HOB filter in a 10 gallon at one point and just used a cheap black box LED turned down for light. Biggest thing it to keep the tank stable, match your DT params and to make sure that corals have some food available. Just testing and a little ghost feeding of some flake food can work for the average reefer. I dose ammonia, nitrate and phosphate in my coral QT, but only recommend the ammonia part for very experienced reefers.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT all corals that are going to go into my systems. I set those QT tanks up to match my parameters perfectly and try to run close to the same light schedule and par that I plan to put them in. I do use a shallow tank for QT of corals, but with a single light in the center, I can place zoas on the edges, LPS a little closer to the center and SPS in the center.

If I was to use a normal tank, I would just use frag racks with bio media under the racks and place the coral accordingly.

I have also QTd corals with a HOB filter in a 10 gallon at one point and just used a cheap black box LED turned down for light. Biggest thing it to keep the tank stable, match your DT params and to make sure that corals have some food available. Just testing and a little ghost feeding of some flake food can work for the average reefer. I dose ammonia, nitrate and phosphate in my coral QT, but only recommend the ammonia part for very experienced reefers.
Great info, thank you! I want to start this on the best foot, so planning on quarantining everything I can. :) I'm assuming if I disinfect the QT after using it for fish, I could set it back up for corals?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info, thank you! I want to start this on the best foot, so planning on quarantining everything I can. :) I'm assuming if I disinfect the QT after using it for fish, I could set it back up for corals?
Not sure on that, as never done it. My worry would be copper leeching from the silicone for a bit. But that may not be the case and you may need to research that some.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back