Confused about how to set up a QT tank for new fish without rock or sand...

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense... probably better safe than sorry, and just use separate QT.
You can use the same HOB and just swap out the tanks. Clean the tank put it up in a closet and pull out like a 10gallon or something and use it for corals. Unless you want to quarantine both at the same time but sounds like you don't.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the same HOB and just swap out the tanks. Clean the tank put it up in a closet and pull out like a 10gallon or something and use it for corals. Unless you want to quarantine both at the same time but sounds like you don't.
I would quarantine both at the same time if I had space to have 2 QT going at the same time, but since I really don't, I figured I'll just space out buying fish and corals. But having an extra tank for corals to swap out sounds like a good idea, to avoid any chance of copper residue from the fish QT.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB sponge filter is great for culturing bacteria, but please note that it does not provide enough flow in the tank. Get a cheap powerhead to keep the water moving lively, for oxygen exchange. Also, understock. That is partly why QT works without an existing biofilter culture: you are stocking much less than you would in a full tank. Also, water changes every 3 days or so (be mindful to test copper and adjust each time). Learned the hard way. And, like much in life, I will say that "cost" is deceptive, and it is much more cost-effective to get what you need to do it right, the first time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back