Confused about placement

Arain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
While I’m not new to reef tanks, I’ve been out the hoppy for over 10 years. Prior I only had a few pieces of coral. My current goal is to have a full tank of beautiful corals. So my question is, if the recommended spacing is 6”, how are some of y’all (and stores I’ve been to) able to have these massive collections that look like the corals are touching and zero space between them? I know eventually they will grow bigger but won’t they sting each other or release toxins to kill neighbors? Can someone help me better understand please, maybe some advice on placement. So far I only have 7 corals in my 40g breeder. i have 4 large pieces of rock in my tank already. I’m expecting 40lbs more rocks on Monday so I’ll be adding more corals soon. I just don’t know where to place everything for the long run lol

I currently have:
Kenya tree
Pulsing Xenia (on its own island)
Torch
Green star polyp
Bird of paradise
Flame tipped clove polyps
Finger leather (w/possible mushroom at base of rubble it’s attached to)

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch will sting. So lots of room.

Green star will take over everything including leathers, so keep it on its own rock and inches at least from the rock scape.
Cloves same. Xenia same but can also let a piece float off to settle and grow elsewhere. So be

Now BOP, middle to top, will grow well once settled.

Keep running carbon if your concerned about toxins. If they have space, there harmless.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those tanks you are seeing that are full of large colonies are constantly fragged to keep one species from killing another. Also careful placement from the beginning helps. If you want larger colonies you leave more space from the beginning. Other option, like stated, is to let nature take its' course but in that case, the uglier coral normally wins all battles lol. You don't currently have any hard coral so it is a little bit different.....pretty much just requires space between with careful planning.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back