Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
hi everyone,
I have got a couple ov pieces living rock in with my dry pucani and noticed brown spots on the sand matching the colour ov my living rock. Also blue slime type tissue on the rock. Also noticed brown spots appearing on my pucani. Can some one please advise, have included photos.
Thanks

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All new tanks will go through periods of diatoms and different algaes as they mature...we call it the uglies....keep things stable stock it slowly and things will even out for you....

OP
OP
sheyandpete

sheyandpete

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey katrina,
Thanks for that, is it ok to put a cuc crew into my tank ie 2 conch, 5 super nassarius snails, and 10 cerith snails.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all normal, the brown is diatoms and always the 1st part of the ugly part of a tank. Once completely cycled I've found cerith snails very efficient to clean the brown. Don't overload your tank with a cuc, add only as needed; they need to eat. When the green algae starts to come(and it will), add some different snails like astreas to clean that up. Don't follow the # of snails per gallon, only add a few then more if needed. If you overstock your tank with cuc when the food runs out they will die, and cause more problems. No need for nasarrius snails until you are feeding fish and they have left over food to eat, and at this stage a conch will most certainly starve.

The blue slime is likely sponge or something dying off, just take a turkey baster and blow it off. Keep your intake and pads clean off debris being filtered out.

OP
OP
sheyandpete

sheyandpete

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. Sorry i have not replied for a while, i am now treating my tank for hair algae with fluconazole, second day in and hope this works.

OP
OP
sheyandpete

sheyandpete

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all normal, the brown is diatoms and always the 1st part of the ugly part of a tank. Once completely cycled I've found cerith snails very efficient to clean the brown. Don't overload your tank with a cuc, add only as needed; they need to eat. When the green algae starts to come(and it will), add some different snails like astreas to clean that up. Don't follow the # of snails per gallon, only add a few then more if needed. If you overstock your tank with cuc when the food runs out they will die, and cause more problems. No need for nasarrius snails until you are feeding fish and they have left over food to eat, and at this stage a conch will most certainly starve.

The blue slime is likely sponge or something dying off, just take a turkey baster and blow it off. Keep your intake and pads clean off debris being filtered out.
Thanks for that. Sorry i have not replied for a while, i am now treating my tank for hair algae with fluconazole, second day in and hope this works.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be want snails and crabs for the long term imo. Turbos ,Asterias, turbans and a few crabs. It's much cheaper than the med your using and they eat a lot more than just Gha.

ciscomania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think your tank is really young to be using fluconazole to battle some algae at this point. Really really young...

OP
OP
sheyandpete

sheyandpete

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be want snails and crabs for the long term imo. Turbos ,Asterias, turbans and a few crabs. It's much cheaper than the med your using and they eat a lot more than just Gha.
Thanks i have switched my skimmer back on this morning, so that should pull the flucon out ov the tank. On a lighter note, i may have problams dragging a turban accross the bottom ov my tank lol.

OP
OP
sheyandpete

sheyandpete

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think your tank is really young to be using fluconazole to battle some algae at this point. Really really young...
Yes my gut feeling this morning was to turn my skimmer back on so hopefully it should pull the flucon out. I am starting to realize that i am overreacting and to let things be for a while.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back