Confused ! Tank has not cycled in 7 months !!

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone, certainly. Those that do are not being accurate. I'm not sure what kit you even have that can read that low. Are you sure of the number? Ammonium 0.025 ppm? Not 0.25 ppm?

And you actually write ammonium, so that means you are reporting total ammonium/ammonia. Not free ammonia. Correct?

Here's my comment, where I bolded the important point:

Ammonia and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/rhf/index.php

Because ammonia's toxic effects appear at levels significantly below those that are acutely lethal (0.09 to 3.35 ppm NH3-N or 1.3 to 50 ppm total NH4-N at pH 8.2), and because some organisms in a reef aquarium may be more sensitive than the few organisms that have been carefully studied, it is prudent to err on the side of caution when deciding what concentrations of ammonia to allow in a reef aquarium or related system.

My suggestion is to take some sort of corrective action if the total ammonia rises above 0.1 ppm. This suggestion is also made by Stephen Spotte in his authoritative text, Captive Seawater Fishes.6 Values in excess of 0.25 ppm total ammonia may require immediate treatment, preferably involving removal of all delicate (ammonia sensitive) organisms from the water containing the ammonia. Some of the possible actions to take are detailed in the following sections listed below.
Thank you so much can you please write a book you helped so much I will be referring back to your post if I’m ever confused .
And yes I test for ammonium and it has always been lower then 0.025 so I’m guessing that meant 0.01

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This...
I use the Ammonia Alert is the most reliable indication of NH3. Yours is showing it's great, so don't worry about testing or excessive water changes if it's bright yellow like that. You are definitely cycled. Just keep an eye on it if you add rock or increase feeding or bioload.

I wouldn't even worry about testing Nitrite since it's not very toxic to SW fish and is almost definitely very low now that you're cycled.

And Nitrate of 0.2 is not high as you're notebook suggests. 20 would be a little high but with Fish only, it's nothing to worry much about.
Uhm no I have a test kit . I use the ammonia alert as a precaution . It’s good

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are You using for filtration?
Bio: seachem matrix about 2l
And some other stuff like various sponges starting big holes all the way to small and then water polishing cotton stuff

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have no problem with folks relying on the Ammonia Alert, I'd point out that if what he wrote is literally true (he still hasn't confirmed it, however), then there is no inconsistency and both tests say there is no issue:

Ammonium 0.025
Nitrite.
Nitrate
Ph. 8.0-8.3
Salinity 1.024
Temperature. 26.c

The ammonia alert says there's no concern because his free ammonia is only 0.0022 ppm or less (by calculation), which is a factor of 10 below where the ammonia alert even begins to get a greenish hue:

http://www.seachem.com/ammonia-alert.php
"As little as 0.02 mg/L of free ammonia will produce a greenish hue on the detector surface."
Yes just to clarify I use a api master test kit for my other tests including ammonium

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just brain storming but maybe your fish just urinated and pooped right before you tested thus got your readings. Have no idea how long the ammonia coming out of the fish takes to be consumed but that would be interesting to know. I have alot of fish, alot of corals and feed really heavy so im assuming it must be rather quick. Im sure Randy would know.

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just brain storming but maybe your fish just urinated and pooped right before you tested thus got your readings. Have no idea how long the ammonia coming out of the fish takes to be consumed but that would be interesting to know. I have alot of fish, alot of corals and feed really heavy so im assuming it must be rather quick. Im sure Randy would know.
Hahah well the vlamingi poops all day
Specially when he sees me pick up the fish food he poops to get ready to eat . I usually test before feeding because that is when I think the water is the cleanest

(oh and for all the people saying my anemone was gonna die and bla bla he’s fine and has got allot of colour back )
Here’s a picture
He’s in my small nano till all the copper is out . It’s at 0.1 now which is good

4C5E9C6A-3E0E-4764-87FA-2DA33CB79D02.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just to clarify I use a api master test kit for my other tests including ammonium
The API ammonia test kit can read up to 0.25ppm as a false reading. It is actually very common. Your system is doing just fine!

Have no idea how long the ammonia coming out of the fish takes to be consumed but that would be interesting to know. I have alot of fish, alot of corals and feed really heavy so im assuming it must be rather quick.
This is a continuous process. Ammonia is continuously being released through a fishes gills and their waste is continuously breaking down.
It is also being processed by more than just nitrifying bacteria. Many corals and algae can also consume ammonia directly.

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The API ammonia test kit can read up to 0.25ppm as a false reading. It is actually very common. Your system is doing just fine!

This is a continuous process. Ammonia is continuously being released through a fishes gills and their waste is continuously breaking down.
It is also being processed by more than just nitrifying bacteria. Many corals and algae can also consume ammonia directly.
Good to know ok great !!!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not much N coming out trough pee and solid waste from fishes - especially not from saltwater fishes - they does not pee so much - if any. As Brew12 state - the most ammonia ions comes out through the gills in an active process - it means that it will be transported out in spite of the concentrations in water and fish. In a well established tank - the life time for an ammonia ion will not be long - it will be consumed by corals and/or macro/micro algae directly. However - there is indications that to much of NH4 in the water can favour some annoying micro algae over macro algae and corals.

Sincerely Lasse

Back