Confusing overflow into sump area of all in one 10 gallon tank

IndianaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I bought this tank online and im loving it so far. Not sure the actual name of the model as I got it second hand, but the bottom right corner says Petworx, and it is a tall 10 gallon with an all in one area in the back. The only onfusing part for me is that rather than having a few small gaps near the tp to allow for a traditional overflow, it instead has grates running from top to bottom all the way into the sump area. The frustrating thing is that they do not run high enough to disturb the surface of the water, or allow build up on the top to flow into the back compartment. Is this normal/ is there a good way to run the sump area in the back to account for this, or should i try to cover up the grate (as seen in the image - Also Mandarin coming to photobomb) and cut some holes into the top to create a more traditional overflow. As it stands, my skimmer is located right behind the grate, which then runs off into my biomedia, and then through to the heater and return pump. Should I have filterfloss right in front of this massive grate, or should I continue to allow the skimmer to pump somewhat randomly in the first compartment. Any advice with this would be much appreciated :)

232876403_3061933970798445_36237054423694537_n.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back