Connecting 1/4" Plastic R/O to 3/4" Copper Pipe

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one BRS sends when you buy a RODI from them. And yes the instructions say:
onto the RO line slide the compression nut;
slide the compression sleeve;
and insert into the end of the RO line "brass insert";
tighten compression nut - don't over tighten.
Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 2.41.30 PM.png

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-...-Connect-Reducing-Tee-Push-Fitting/1000182469

I seem to remember there needing to be a plastic sleeve inside of the plastic line - this looks like it is for connecting copper to copper?
This fitting has a collar that slides over your plastic tubing. So what you do is unthread the nut, and put it on your line, and then put the collar on the line, push the line into the fitting and then thread on and tighten the nut. So it'll look something similar to this.
selfcuttap.jpg

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use it but unless you can move the copper a decent amount its going to be hard to cut the hole small enough to get the fitting nice and snug but big enough to get it in the hole in the first place.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it all installed. Booster pump. 6 stage 150gpd R/O, 20 gallon storage tank.

Waiting on the 55g barrels.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very familiar to me. Are you dumping your "black" water into the HVAC drain line too? LOL ;)

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont use a saddle valve the pin hole is to small. Look for one of these. I got this at Menards a local hardware store. Just cut a section out and it has compression fittings to make a nice connection.
1518753116833.jpg

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very familiar to me. Are you dumping your "black" water into the HVAC drain line too? LOL ;)

As an HVAC tech I'd have to advise against that ingenious maneuver. :D
I am dumping the waste water down the drain in the floor. It’s the same place the HVAC dumps as well as the water heater over-pressure line.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My garage is heated so the pipe sweats that's not a leak.. lol
My water is coming in cold enough the pipe is sweating for me too. I used a couple of sharkbite fittings. I’m getting a great flow of water through the R/O. Way more than I remember from my last R/O setup. I’m running 85 PSI with the booster pump and 65 without it.

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed saddle valves are for people that don't want to use a pipe cutter (which is not hard) and we're created when you had to use a tourch to connect pipes far from an ideal plumbing solution. They are much more likely to leak than shark/quick connections which are rated for in wall plumbing or compression fittings which are equally good and excellent DIY solutions.

Back