Connecting a new tank to my current tank.

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for my fellow reefers.
The picture is of my first reef tank at a year old. It is a 40 gallon breeder build.
If is really growing and at this point doesn’t have many problems.
I would like to connect a 120 gallon tank I have in my basement to this tank. It has only been running a couple months.
The 120 has a 36 trigger sump and will be a frag tank.
Is there a big risk of crashing the 40 because of the parameters changing. What is everyone’s experience with this type of change.
Thanks

100A261C-38A1-43AD-9CE8-150732BBC24B.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing if one system is ultra low nutrient with SPS and other system is high nutrient macro algae mixed garden lagoon. I will make a general statement.

This doesn’t sound like a good idea. What benefit is a 40G young display going to provide for 120G prop/growout tank? I can assure you that the logistics to connect the two tanks on two differrent levels of your home is courting a wet floor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing if one system is ultra low nutrient with SPS and other system is high nutrient macro algae mixed garden lagoon. I will make a general statement.

This doesn’t sound like a good idea. What benefit is a 40G young display going to provide for 120G prop/growout tank? I can assure you that the logistics to connect the two tanks on two differrent levels of your home is courting a wet floor.
The reason is, I am eventually going to connect a 180 from the top level. But it really is about equipment.
I don’t want to have multiple sumps. I don’t want multiple Trident controllers. Plan to add a roller mat and don’t want to add multiple.
i do auto water changes on the 40 and don’t want to duplicate the system there either.
I don’t want multiple skimmers.
Really not worried about water on the floor I believe I can manage that.

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back