Connecting GHL to the internet - what worked for me.

Scotts210g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think I am alone in an ongoing complications leading to frustration connecting the GHL to the internet. I want to share how I connected it recently in the hopes that it can help you as well.
This is no way to put GHL in a negative light. I have been a HUGE fan of GHL and would promote them everywhere I could - I got away from that as I had just endless issues trying to get it to connect - in fact at one point I could not hard wire it to a computer and connect to it through the GHL Connect app on my windows based laptop (Surface Pro #whatever the latest and greatest is).

Again, I hope you find this helpful.
My Profilux 4 connected pretty well to the internet initially. But there is one CRITICAL and I mean CRITICAL setting - that when I had it set to the on position and saved - I immediately lost all connectivity. It was a heavy lift to get reconnected - in fact another GHL fan (can't remember who) on this forum reached out direct through FB IM and did stuff I have no idea - but he got to connect.
I point to it in the screen shot with the red arrow. When I had that Access Point set to on and saved - everything was gone and could not connect. There was no warning and really no explanation I could find as to what it was and why it shut everything off.

Also, I think the wireless router brand can also have a big impact on GHL connectivity.
Originally I had had an old Linksys router - and the GHL connected and stayed connected to that relatively well.
However, I had to switch routers and went to Netgear Nighthawk - with the 5G and 2.4G. I could not connect and if I did it was hit or miss keeping it connected.
To resolve this I add a Wavlink 2.4g router and that solved all of my problems - they are super inexpensive $25 and all of my fish tank equipment connects and stays connected to this.

I have included what my screen looks like under the communication. I had to manually enter in the IP address and other information which was easy to find on the wavlink app.
One other key point on the communication page is the myGHL . com site. It was another step I took in order to connect. I will note - the Security Key is really short lived - plan for 30 seconds - and you cannot cut and paste so plan accordingly to use this security key.
Once I was in I went straight to the first pic I posted and set the Access Point to Off.
Just a few more things - I left the WiFi Modus to Client - I could get it to connect any other way.
Also, when connecting to the GHLConnect - I could not connect to the Profilux 4 wifi I had to use the Profilux 4 Connection - i.e. the hard wired version.
Lastly, I have no idea what Start WPS is - never could get it to work or figure out. However, I think if you can find the necessary IP, Submask etc and manually enter that, I will just say it worked for me.
Once the GHL is discoverable - connecting to the app was crazy easy and fast. I have no connecting issues now. Anytime I want to see my parameter I just pull up the app and in a few seconds it's all there.

I am so happy that my GHL is back online and running smoothly. I have always thought that it is the best controller out there.

All the best!

GHL Critical setting.jpg InkedGHL Profilux communication screen shot[10847]_LI.jpg InkedGHL Profilux communication screen shot[10847]_LI.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WPS or wifi protected setup is the little button you push on the router to auto connect without having to need the SSID, or password.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think I am alone in an ongoing complications leading to frustration connecting the GHL to the internet. I want to share how I connected it recently in the hopes that it can help you as well.
This is no way to put GHL in a negative light. I have been a HUGE fan of GHL and would promote them everywhere I could - I got away from that as I had just endless issues trying to get it to connect - in fact at one point I could not hard wire it to a computer and connect to it through the GHL Connect app on my windows based laptop (Surface Pro #whatever the latest and greatest is).

Again, I hope you find this helpful.
My Profilux 4 connected pretty well to the internet initially. But there is one CRITICAL and I mean CRITICAL setting - that when I had it set to the on position and saved - I immediately lost all connectivity. It was a heavy lift to get reconnected - in fact another GHL fan (can't remember who) on this forum reached out direct through FB IM and did stuff I have no idea - but he got to connect.
I point to it in the screen shot with the red arrow. When I had that Access Point set to on and saved - everything was gone and could not connect. There was no warning and really no explanation I could find as to what it was and why it shut everything off.

Also, I think the wireless router brand can also have a big impact on GHL connectivity.
Originally I had had an old Linksys router - and the GHL connected and stayed connected to that relatively well.
However, I had to switch routers and went to Netgear Nighthawk - with the 5G and 2.4G. I could not connect and if I did it was hit or miss keeping it connected.
To resolve this I add a Wavlink 2.4g router and that solved all of my problems - they are super inexpensive $25 and all of my fish tank equipment connects and stays connected to this.

I have included what my screen looks like under the communication. I had to manually enter in the IP address and other information which was easy to find on the wavlink app.
One other key point on the communication page is the myGHL . com site. It was another step I took in order to connect. I will note - the Security Key is really short lived - plan for 30 seconds - and you cannot cut and paste so plan accordingly to use this security key.
Once I was in I went straight to the first pic I posted and set the Access Point to Off.
Just a few more things - I left the WiFi Modus to Client - I could get it to connect any other way.
Also, when connecting to the GHLConnect - I could not connect to the Profilux 4 wifi I had to use the Profilux 4 Connection - i.e. the hard wired version.
Lastly, I have no idea what Start WPS is - never could get it to work or figure out. However, I think if you can find the necessary IP, Submask etc and manually enter that, I will just say it worked for me.
Once the GHL is discoverable - connecting to the app was crazy easy and fast. I have no connecting issues now. Anytime I want to see my parameter I just pull up the app and in a few seconds it's all there.

I am so happy that my GHL is back online and running smoothly. I have always thought that it is the best controller out there.

All the best!

GHL Critical setting.jpg InkedGHL Profilux communication screen shot[10847]_LI.jpg InkedGHL Profilux communication screen shot[10847]_LI.jpg
You told your Profilux to become an access point with the same name as the access point on your internet router.

the two names should be different, with different IP addresses.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You told your Profilux to become an access point with the same name as the access point on your internet router.

the two names should be different, with different IP addresses.
That’s what I’m seeing also.
My initial issues where all related to my laptop. It wasn’t updating firmware through the same port as initially connected to. Drove me nuts for a day till I figured it out. It was my own setting not the P4.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back