Consider offering 1/4" black netting for DIY tops?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a few screen tops made using black netting instead of the semi-clear netting that you guys currently offer. One of the benefits of the black netting is that it doesn't reflect light back up at the viewer - making it much easier to see into your tank from the top, and it doesn't seem to affect the amount of light making it into the tank.

Could you guys considering carrying it in addition to your clear 1/4" netting, and perhaps do a test on the PAR differences between clear and black 1/4" netting?

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed black netting, and it really does look better. My own par testing shows no significant difference.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look really slick @csb123 ! I wonder what the overall PAR difference would be from the video we shot below. My guess would be that it's not by much and could be accounted for with a small % increase in light intensity (LEDs). Whatcha think @Zack@BRS @Bulk Reef Supply ??

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I used black netting with my DD Jumpguard frame. ( I really like the DD Jumpguard ), but one thing I've noticed is the salt creep shows up much faster on the black netting.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing BRS, they're going to buy the rabbit guard or deer guard stuff in bulk from the manufacturer and then turn around and sell us small cuts of it for double the price...no thanks. Hopefully someone on Amazon will get wind of the new demand for the black color and sell it in smaller packs for $10 like they already do the clear one. The practice of re-purposing other industry items, slapping your hobby sticker on it and charging double needs to stop. It's unethical.

OP
OP
DarkSky

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing BRS, they're going to buy the rabbit guard or deer guard stuff in bulk from the manufacturer and then turn around and sell us small cuts of it for double the price...no thanks. Hopefully someone on Amazon will get wind of the new demand for the black color and sell it in smaller packs for $10 like they already do the clear one. The practice of re-purposing other industry items, slapping your hobby sticker on it and charging double needs to stop. It's unethical.

Unethical? That's business. I don't want 200 yards of black netting, so I'm willing to spend a little more from someone like BRS who will take 200 yards and cut it down to sizes I'm willing to buy.

Hopefully someone on Amazon will get wind of the new demand for the black color and sell it in smaller packs for $10 like they already do.

Yet no one has done so, if you're volunteering to take the time to order a bulk roll of it, cut it up and deal with individual shipping and orders, by all means do it!

That's what you're paying extra for - convenience.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unethical? That's business. I don't want 200 yards of black netting, so I'm willing to spend a little more from someone like BRS who will take 200 yards and cut it down to sizes I'm willing to buy.

Yet no one has done so, if you're volunteering to take the time to order a bulk roll of it, cut it up and deal with individual shipping and orders, by all means do it!

That's what you're paying extra for - convenience.

Yes, businesses often behave unethically. It is business, still unethical, and we don't have to like it. I don't pay extra for "convenience" unless there is no other option. And no, I didn't volunteer anything haha...

OP
OP
DarkSky

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, businesses often behave unethically. It is business, still unethical, and we don't have to like it.
I don't pay extra for "convenience" unless there is no other option.

I see nothing unethical about it. They're taking the time to store, cut, and ship the material. Its no different than any other chemical they make available to hobbyists. They deserve to make some money off of that effort. Otherwise you're going to be ordering 200 yards of it at $150, using maybe 1 yard, and wasting 199 yards. But hey - at least you can sleep well at night knowing you're not paying for convenience!

And no, I didn't volunteer anything haha...

Except your opinion, which wasn't asked for.

I personally do not feel like ordering $150 worth of black netting and having an unused roll sitting in my closet. I'm willing to pay $20 for the size I need. Many others clearly are too.

tenor.gif

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%

Back