Considering a change from apex to GHL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Neptune apex for over a year and am heavily invested in their lineup. I also have access to some reseller discounts for Neptune so I use Neptune for my service customers locally so I guess you could say I’m all Neptune lol. But I have never enjoyed the coding and custom writing to get what I want out of it. I have had to make some fairly complex code setups to get various things to do what I want and it’s caused me problems before and on occasion problems for service customers. In addition I have some pretty horrendous clutter. I have modules upon modules upon modules lol.

So I’m considering a change. I’m trying to come up with what I need if I switched to GHL. Here is what I currently have with apex:

Apex 2016
2x energy bar (for a total of 3)
2x ATK top off packages and modules
3x DOS pump units (6 heads total)
Breakout box
Pm1 with temp and ph probe (for QT)
KH monitor

Here is what I think I’d need. But I’m guessing there are splitters and extension cables and modules I’m missing?

KH director with slave doser
Additional GHL doser slave unit
2x GHL Maxi Units
ProfiLux 4 ultimate
2x powerbar 5.1 (for a total of 3)
Extra Temp sensor
Extra Ph sensor
6 Level sensors, optical
Replacement top off pumps since I can’t use the Neptune pmups
For 2 extra sensor (pH + Temp) will need https://store.aquariumcomputer.com/...o=p28_plm-ph-redox-digtemp-sensor-inputs.html
For 2 extra level sensor will need https://store.aquariumcomputer.com/en/product_info.php?info=p27_plm-4level-sensor-inputs.html
To connect 2 level sensor on a level port need https://store.aquariumcomputer.com/...nfo=p65_splitter-cable-for-level-sensors.html (get 3)

I have 3 dosing pumps for dosing stuff, and 3 for auto water change. I would use pumps for my two ATOs.

I do 12000ml daily AWC. And my alk calc etc dosing is about 150ml a day.

Last edited:

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Neptune apex for over a year and am heavily invested in their lineup. I also have access to some reseller discounts for Neptune so I use Neptune for my service customers locally so I guess you could say I’m all Neptune lol. But I have never enjoyed the coding and custom writing to get what I want out of it. I have had to make some fairly complex code setups to get various things to do what I want and it’s caused me problems before and on occasion problems for service customers. In addition I have some pretty horrendous clutter. I have modules upon modules upon modules lol.

So I’m considering a change. I’m trying to come up with what I need if I switched to GHL. Here is what I currently have with apex:

Apex 2016
Breakout box
KH monitor

Here is what I think I’d need. But I’m guessing there are splitters and extension cables and modules I’m missing?

ProfiLux 4 ultimate
Extra Temp sensor
Extra Ph sensor
6 Level sensors, optical
For your 2 extra sensor (pH + Temp) you will need https://store.aquariumcomputer.com/...o=p28_plm-ph-redox-digtemp-sensor-inputs.html
For you 2 extra level sensor you will need https://store.aquariumcomputer.com/en/product_info.php?info=p27_plm-4level-sensor-inputs.html
To connect 2 level sensor on a level port you need https://store.aquariumcomputer.com/...nfo=p65_splitter-cable-for-level-sensors.html (get 3)

Or get an expansion box https://store.aquariumcomputer.com/en/product_info.php?info=p82_expansion-box-2.html

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI The P4 have 2 free slots for expansion cards - therefore you do not need an expansion box in this case if you not plan to expand your system in the future. However if your QT is a bit away from your DT - an expansion box 2 with

• 4 x 1-10V-interfaces
  • 2 x Universal ports for pH or redox probes (adjustable)
  • 1 x Universal port for conductivity freshwater or seawater (adjustable)
  • 1 x Port for digital temperature sensor
  • 1 x Mitras Lightbar interface
  • 2 x ProfiLux Aquatic Bus
  • 2 x Level sensor input
  • 4 x Additional expansion slots for our expansion cards.
could be a good option and you probably do not need the extra expansion cards

You can place the expansion box 2 up to 100 meters from your P4 using cat 6 RJ-45 cables.

As ATO pumps you can use which pump you want and put it in a power bar outlet that is controlled by the actual level sensor.

Sincerely Lasse

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size of your system and If you plan on using a doser 2.1 for ATO or AWC I would consider getting Maxi dosers instead far better suited to that job than the standard doser

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size of your system and If you plan on using a doser 2.1 for ATO or AWC I would consider getting Maxi dosers instead far better suited to that job than the standard doser
I have 3 dosing pumps for dosing stuff, and 3 for auto water change. I would use pumps for my two ATOs.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Apex 2016
Breakout box
KH monitor

ProfiLux 4 ultimate
Extra Temp sensor
Extra Ph sensor
6 Level sensors, optical

Are you using a backup battery at all?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d say 12000ml/day would be best suited to a Maxi doser, they are far faster and more robust than the 2.1’s. I use mine to AWC 20L a day.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with @Mortie31 for the Maxi. @Lasse brings up a great point depending on far away the QT is then an expansion box is best and can stack easily on the AWC on your QT also. Tagging @Vinny@GHLUSA and @Marco@GHLUSA to help with the parts list :)

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this topic, I'll be purchasing a new controller in a few months. The Neptune Trident is a very appealing idea, anything like that coming for GHL?

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shouldn't need the expansion box as my QT is right next to my main system. The entire main system is around 300 gallons of frag tanks and sump. The QT is 100 gallons of frag tank and sump.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very happy with my KH Director/SA Doser 2.1

But I have to wonder why you would switch? There's certainly no less equipment involved (more by the looks of it). With the "tasks" that Neptune has implemented, the programming is mostly straightforward now. Is GHL programming that much easier?

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry not sure what that is? It's a whole home generator from generac.

Ah, work got busy and I haven't had a chance to reply. I have a coherent answer for you, i'll post it later tonight or tomorrow.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back