Considering a harlequin tusk for my next reef. What are the things I should be considering?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love these fish! I know they will go after snails, but I also figure hey, snails can be replaced. What are the other things I should be considering? Help me weigh the pros and cons.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much you want to spend on cuc and neato cleaner shrimps and etc

Worth it
Not planning for any shrimps atm, so that won't be an issue. I figure stocking snails is no real problem. Any issues keeping them with anything else (anemones, clams, or certain types of LPS)?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not planning for any shrimps atm, so that won't be an issue. I figure stocking snails is no real problem. Any issues keeping them with anything else (anemones, clams, or certain types of LPS)?
Clams are on the menu so skip those, but anemones and corals are fine.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They many times play very rough with other wrasses. Be careful of your source as these guys seem to be captured with cyanide frequently. They come in with internal parasites frequently, I would plan to do a general cure treatment. Many times the difficulty in feeding is cured with a simple treatment for internal parasites, but people wait too long and then it's too late. I wouldn't use copper.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love these fish! I know they will go after snails, but I also figure hey, snails can be replaced. What are the other things I should be considering? Help me weigh the pros and cons.
They will eat every member of your CUC. - that said - I have not noticed any difference.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is no point IMHO to replacing the snails. They just die anyway. the tusk is awesome

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 210 years ago with one. Was a cool fish until it got some size and then it ate every fish it could get in its mouth. This one was Aussie.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per my profile pic, huge fan!
Mine decimates all snails and sometimes crabs... there's a graveyard of such by his sleeping cave.
As for coral, no issues at all. Won't touch or look at them.
Mine tolerated copper without issue (at 2.5 for 30 days). Never had any issues with eating or feeding in general.
I do feed guppies 1-2x week and he really likes those (chases and eats them whole)
Only thing is that he's an aggressive eater and will snag larger chunks of food from other fish, but doesn't hurt them or otherwise.
No bullying or aggressive behavior toward other fish... TBH, he's a bit of a sissy in that regard. Gets bullied by my sailfin.
Overall, my favorite fish. Great personality and always fun to watch him lurk around.
Mine is fairly large, about 8-10 in.

Fredrod209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine, knew cuc was in danger but the fish is a definite eye catcher. Was surprised to see him eat a new goby I bought as it was bigger than some fish that were established already.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back