Considering options for new large aquarium to replace Red Sea 625.

ReefAtlas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to upgrade from a Red Sea 625 Reefer (5' x 24" x 24") that I have been running since 2017. I want to purchase a new stand and tank that will last and be dependable for 15+ years. I am located in Pennsylvania and will need to find a service that can help with initial delivery. The initial delivery and move into walkout basement will require a delivery crew.

Approximate size - 7 to 8 foot long, 30" deep, and 24" high.

Prefer least amount of wood possible on the stand. It seems that if I go with a tank and stand from the same vendor, steel welded, powder coated stands would be best option. I like the look and rust resistance of aluminum T-track stands but believe welded steel to be stronger long term if cared for to prevent rusting. Warranty requires stand and tank from same vendor.

I am considering back-center drilled external overflow box and dual back drilled return lines. Possibly setup both returns on back right side and overflow on the back left side. Not sure of best configuration. I am looking for strength and long term reliability. Is the back external overflow the best configuration for reliability? I like having the holes higher in the glass rather than bottom drilled where a leak could empty the entire system.

The tank will continue to be SPS dominant with significant in tank flow so the seems and drilled glass need to be reliable. planning 3/4" front, back, bottom, 5/8" sides. If I go with Custom Aquariums, I would go with their aluminum framed tank. Other would be Euro braced more than likely. No decision on vendor but have reviewed Glass Cages, Planet Aquarium, and Custom Aquariums.

I intend to setup and run both tanks long enough to stabilize the new tank, then transfer Red Sea contents over to the new tank, and then shutdown the old Red Sea system.

Very early planning stages but I am looking for opinions and information based on your experiences with similar sized setup.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to upgrade from a Red Sea 625 Reefer (5' x 24" x 24") that I have been running since 2017. I want to purchase a new stand and tank that will last and be dependable for 15+ years. I am located in Pennsylvania and will need to find a service that can help with initial delivery. The initial delivery and move into walkout basement will require a delivery crew.

Approximate size - 7 to 8 foot long, 30" deep, and 24" high.

Prefer least amount of wood possible on the stand. It seems that if I go with a tank and stand from the same vendor, steel welded, powder coated stands would be best option. I like the look and rust resistance of aluminum T-track stands but believe welded steel to be stronger long term if cared for to prevent rusting. Warranty requires stand and tank from same vendor.

I am considering back-center drilled external overflow box and dual back drilled return lines. Possibly setup both returns on back right side and overflow on the back left side. Not sure of best configuration. I am looking for strength and long term reliability. Is the back external overflow the best configuration for reliability? I like having the holes higher in the glass rather than bottom drilled where a leak could empty the entire system.

The tank will continue to be SPS dominant with significant in tank flow so the seems and drilled glass need to be reliable. planning 3/4" front, back, bottom, 5/8" sides. If I go with Custom Aquariums, I would go with their aluminum framed tank. Other would be Euro braced more than likely. No decision on vendor but have reviewed Glass Cages, Planet Aquarium, and Custom Aquariums.

I intend to setup and run both tanks long enough to stabilize the new tank, then transfer Red Sea contents over to the new tank, and then shutdown the old Red Sea system.

Very early planning stages but I am looking for opinions and information based on your experiences with similar sized setup.
I am considering upgrading to a Cade (not as large as yours though) and highly recommend their Cade 2100. These are plug and play using high quality material. Comes with prebuilt Metal stand, glass sump, control panel section, & precut pipes. Except they are not external overflow.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If budget is tighter but you dont want to sacrifice quality get quotes from miracle and glasscage. Both owners are top notch. If you a baller than reef savvy or planet aquariums. Both top notch but will upcharge on everything including shipping and handling

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back