Consistent Feeding and Treats Lyretail Anthias

Dbabin61485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I've been reefing for almost 3 years now starting with a 39 gal long upgrading to a 75gal in December 2019. Have a variety of mushrooms, zoas, and other softies, about 10 different LPS, and 3 little sps frags. For fish I have a clown pair (that lay claim to my patch of 4 BTAs), neon dottyback, and a pink spotted shrimp goby. I had a tailspot blenny who was my first fish, but he passed away 2 months ago at the beginning of the Corona Virus Pandemic... Poor little guy :(

But since his passing (and kinda before) I had been deciding what else to add to finish off my fish list, though about one of the smaller bristletooth tangs, or possibly a nice wrasse, but ultimately I decided on a trio of Lyretail Anthias (1 male, 2 female)! I purchased the trio from my local LFS (only place I ever get any lifestock and have never had a complaint) last week (5/21/20). They were very shy at first with big momma clowny being a bit of a bully. And then I had an autofeeder malfunction dump tons of pellets into my tank while I was working which made everyone unhappy for about 36 hours; especially the BTAs and therefore the clowns!

But now that I cleaned up that mess with 50 gallons of new ocean water over 3 days everyone is happy and dancing about the tank again. So now I've got 2 basic questions; 1) what do people feed them for treats (not looking for nutrition, they are eating fine, just like to spoil them a little cuz I know I love treats, the wife loves treats, the bunny loves treats, heck everyone likes treats!) & 2)how do you feed them continuously throughout the day when not around? I've got them eating frozen mysis, frozen spirulina enriched brine, and carnivore feast 3 times a day right now that I am working from home due to C-19, but I will be going back to work and routinely am gone for days or even a couple weeks. My wife is home after work and can do basic maintenance and feed them in the evening, but I need to feed them at least 3 times a day, preferably 5-6 times in very small amounts. I've got a sump with a decently established pod population and they grab spectrum pellets when offered. I have an eheim feeder that should do the trick, but I am not happy with either of my mounting solutions. Option 1 mount in the sump over return pump and have the return distribute through into DT. Option 2 mount on tank cut hole in plastic.
With Option 1 I am worried that not all pellets will be pulled into return and don't want a food build up to cause a nitrogen spike.
With Option 2 I am worried that the Anthias may jump through the opening (but I should be able to minimize this risk with a tiny opening. I am also worried about the food simply floating over to my overflow and just going into sump or sticking to a filter; either way not feeding my fish.
Any suggestions are welcomed as I am still very green to the hobby and always finding out just how little I really know!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to feed them that much. The queen anthias give all the others a bad rep. However, that isn't to say that it is bad. You could try some masstick and shove it on the side where they can pick at it overtime.

As for treats, I don't really think there are any. They eat what they eat and don't eat what they don't eat.

OP
OP
D

Dbabin61485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx SpareTime. I am getting some masstick to try out. Seem to be a lot of good reviews using Masstick.
So how often do people recommend feeding their Lyretail Anthias? They seem happy with the 3 feeding I am doing, but they are hungry everytime I feed them. Of course my clowns eat every time its offered too, lol. They are loving 3 feedings a day!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx SpareTime. I am getting some masstick to try out. Seem to be a lot of good reviews using Masstick.
So how often do people recommend feeding their Lyretail Anthias? They seem happy with the 3 feeding I am doing, but they are hungry everytime I feed them. Of course my clowns eat every time its offered too, lol. They are loving 3 feedings a day!

At my work wee feed them once or twice. Honestly it isn't bad to feed them 3x though and it seems like you enjoy it. You could also try pellets or something since they are pretty nutrient packed (thinking that maybe it can fill them for longer if they like it).

OP
OP
D

Dbabin61485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the advice!
Right now I'm working from home until Covid allows me to go back to the office, so it's great time with my tank. That being said, I am going to start changing in pellets only for one meal/day then try to get it up to pellets twice a day and frozen once a day. This way I can do an autofeeder when i'm travelling again and my fiancee can do the once a day frozen @ night.
It's probably overkill, but I'll just keep it to small feedings. Skinny pets aren't happy pets anyways... Just ask my chubby little bunny! No six pack abs, but happy as a clam!

U

User1

View Badges
Well Lyretail's, Sea Goldies, are very active and aggressive swimmers. Quick to strike at any food that passes. In fact they remind me a lot like hunting trout in streams and rivers. You find a rock or tree in the stream that is breaking the flow. There protected behind is a large trout or two. Food floats by in the current and the trout darts out very quickly, aggressively attacking the food only to turn around 180 degrees and dart back to the calmer waters saving energy for the next round.

A lot depends on your water flow, tank and coral maturity, and what breaks that flow and provides calm areas to swim around. Automatic feeders are great for these sorts of fish and you can mix food types and sizes which will help everyone and not just the Goldies. I run mine twice a day morning and afternoon. I feed a mix of frozen in the evening. Auto feeders are nice but you need to take the time to dial in the amount of food it drops vs what is consumed.

Having owned Lyretails previously I would say auto feeders are very helpful to these fish as they have a clear pecking order within the harem. A lot of chasing and bickering is going to happen and the more you feed means everyone has a chance to get some. This is just my opinion if you want to keep them long term.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my four get fed nightly over a few hours, with all their tank mates.
pellets early evening.
baby brine and either Mysis, oyster eggs or R.O.E (Real Oceanic Eggs) later in the evening.
I use a turkey baster so I can area feed so everyone gets some.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about this with anthias. I feed twice a day and they are fine.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back